Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

Postby tastyonions » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:37 am

The auto-subs are correct. What you’re hearing as an S is the tightening of airflow some French speakers do in words ending in /i/ or /y/ where it sounds almost like /ç/ (the fricative consonant sound of German “ich”). She also really blends together “auraient été” so it sounds kind of like “aurété.”
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:43 pm

I watched a fair bit of it to gauge her general speech patterns and the subtitles aren't always correct. Even when the journalist is speaking who speaks more clearly, and he inserts her name in the middle of a sentence (est-ce que le gouvernement...forte chaleur également dans le sud , de la France...Manon Aubry est-ce que le gouvernment...) the subtitles report it as 'Manon au Brise'. I have the feeling she very quickly skipped over 'bien sur' or said 'ce qui' rather than 'qui'. It's on the fly speech so lots of minor 'ungrammatical' things are occurring.
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:58 pm

To my ears it’s “annonces qui auraient été” but the /k/ of “qui” almost disappears into a /ç/-ish sound so you end up with something like /çjo.re.te/. But I’m neither a native speaker nor a linguist and could be wrong
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:07 pm

tastyonions wrote:To my ears it’s “annonces qui auraient été” but the /k/ of “qui” almost disappears into a /ç/-ish sound so you end up with something like /çjo.re.te/. But I’m neither a native speaker nor a linguist and could be wrong

You could also be right! It does indeed sound like that and her voice is a little zézayante.
0 x
- Jonathan Swift

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:18 pm

tastyonions wrote:To my ears it’s “annonces qui auraient été” but the /k/ of “qui” almost disappears into a /ç/-ish sound so you end up with something like /çjo.re.te/. But I’m neither a native speaker nor a linguist and could be wrong

You're right :) "annonces qui auraient été à même de..."
For me, it's a normal pronounciation, nothing special.
As you can see in the background, the show is also broadcasted on Europe 1, it's a radio: that's the reason why the journalist repeats regularly her name, so that listeners who have just switched on their radio can know who is speaking.
4 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:06 pm

It looks like Larousse has put a paywall on their dictionary. There is a cookie consent button it offered claiming I had refused their cookies, so I offered to allow it and it does nothing and goes nowhere. And the content is blurred out. I noticed that Chambers English also removed its thesaurus some time back.

Glad I have paper dictionaries of Le Robert and Larousse to rely upon. It was useful for checking obscure words quickly.
2 x
- Jonathan Swift

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:07 pm

I'm also glad that I have bought so many paper dictionaries - it may soon become impossible or extremely expensive to add to the collection, and then the internet dictionaries can really start capitalizing on the lack of alternatives.

My main hole in the Romance department right now would be a good dictionary from for instance Modern French into Ancient French (I already have an antique dictionary in the other direction), but it would also be nice to have something more about dialectology. OK, Wikipedia is there, but it's reassuring to have something to fall back on if the internet suddenly implodes.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:44 pm

Iversen wrote:I'm also glad that I have bought so many paper dictionaries - it may soon become impossible or extremely expensive to add to the collection, and then the internet dictionaries can really start capitalizing on the lack of alternatives.

My main hole in the Romance department right now would be a good dictionary from for instance Modern French into Ancient French (I already have an antique dictionary in the other direction), but it would also be nice to have something more about dialectology. OK, Wikipedia is there, but it's reassuring to have something to fall back on if the internet suddenly implodes.

And the good thing is all the silly billies who threw out their perfectly good (and expensive) dictionaries because they could now get it free online, will regret it. At least some of them.

I'd like to extend my thanks to all those who allowed me to buy expensive dictionaries for €2-3. :lol:

So go hunting for that modern French - Ancient French dictionary while stocks last!
2 x
- Jonathan Swift

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:11 pm

Le Baron wrote:It looks like Larousse has put a paywall on their dictionary. There is a cookie consent button it offered claiming I had refused their cookies, so I offered to allow it and it does nothing and goes nowhere. And the content is blurred out. I noticed that Chambers English also removed its thesaurus some time back.

Glad I have paper dictionaries of Le Robert and Larousse to rely upon. It was useful for checking obscure words quickly.

I got the same notice but then I deactivated my ad-blocker (because the notice said something about ads financing the site blah blah blah) and it allowed me full access to the dictionary. Then I reactivated my ad-blocker and it still kept working, heh.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:48 pm

tastyonions wrote:I got the same notice but then I deactivated my ad-blocker (because the notice said something about ads financing the site blah blah blah) and it allowed me full access to the dictionary. Then I reactivated my ad-blocker and it still kept working, heh.

I tried this initially, then also disabled uBlockOrigin and when it gave me the cookie consent form I allowed the 'necessary cookies' and it still wasn't having it. Insisting I accept them all. Which I will not do.

It's no bother for me, I have the paper version which some plonker gave away to a second-hand bookshop. Wiktionnaire provides ample information and sound files.
1 x
- Jonathan Swift

Return to “Study Groups”