Difficulté avec la prononciation de "vin x vent" (et autres mots avec en et in)

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
IchBinEinPoly
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (N), Spanish (was C1 but slightly rusty), French (A2), Chinese (A2 oral, but effectively illiterate), Hindi (bits and pieces, comprehension is very good but production is basic)

Re: Difficulté avec la prononciation de "vin x vent" (et autres mots avec en et in)

Postby IchBinEinPoly » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:37 am

tastyonions wrote:That passage quoted about a merger of /ɔ̃/ and /ɛ̃/ occurring really has me puzzled. I have never heard a native speaker pronounce "vin" like "vont," no matter what their dialect.

Are you sure? They'd be pronounced as [ɑ̃] according to this merger.
0 x
PLEASE correct me if I make a mistake when writing in a non-native language. Thank you in advance.

Cezar
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (Native), English (Advanced), French (begginer), Esperanto (begginer).

Re: Difficulté avec la prononciation de "vin x vent" (et autres mots avec en et in)

Postby Cezar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:23 am

Since I'm still confused with these sounds I looked for the words vent and vin and noticed (if I'm listening well haha) that in most recordings "vent" and "vin" are both pronounced like [vã], except in the last recordings of "vent" which sounds like [ɛ̃] (in this case one was pronounced by a canadian, perhaps here we come to the matter of accent).
1 x
❝Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can; there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did.❞ ‒Sarah Caldwell

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:46 am

IchBinEinPoly wrote:
tastyonions wrote:That passage quoted about a merger of /ɔ̃/ and /ɛ̃/ occurring really has me puzzled. I have never heard a native speaker pronounce "vin" like "vont," no matter what their dialect.

Are you sure? They'd be pronounced as [ɑ̃] according to this merger.

Yes, I'm certain. In fact I have never heard "vin" pronounced as [vɑ̃] at all. I'd be curious to know what dialect features this merger. I guess it's possible it's simply one that I haven't listened to much.

I do hear occasional mergers (or perhaps just mixups) between /ɔ̃/ and /ɑ̃/, as in this clip around 0:18: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56zKj63at28

"Est-ce que la défense [sounds like "défonce" to me] de la laïcité..."
3 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:09 pm

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:12 pm

Cezar, here are six words to help you:

vent (m) = wind
vin (m) = wine
sans = without
sain = healthy
rang (m) = rank / row
rein (m) = kidney

Can you hear the difference between them when they are paired side by side like this?
Last edited by tastyonions on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Cezar
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (Native), English (Advanced), French (begginer), Esperanto (begginer).

Postby Cezar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:15 pm

Arnaud wrote:
Cezar wrote:Since I'm still confused with these sounds I looked for the words vent and vin and noticed (if I'm listening well haha) that in most recordings "vent" and "vin" are both pronounced like [vã], except in the last recordings of "vent" which sounds like [ɛ̃] (in this case one was pronounced by a canadian, perhaps here we come to the matter of accent).

Sorry to disappoint you, but for me, these recordings are completly different. I hear clearly 2 different sounds.
Even if there are (small) local variations due to the accents, it's almost impossible for a native speaker to mistake these sounds.

So I think I must work on recognizing those differences. Thank you very much :)
1 x
❝Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can; there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did.❞ ‒Sarah Caldwell

Cezar
White Belt

Postby Cezar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:19 pm

tastyonions wrote:Cezar, here are six words to help you:

vent (m) = wind
vin (m) = wine
sans = without
sain = healthy
rang (m) = rank / row
rein (m) = kidney

Can you hear the difference between them when they are paired side by side like this?

Wow, it was really helpful! Now it seems clearer the difference! :D
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:27 pm

Cezar wrote:
Arnaud wrote:
Cezar wrote:Since I'm still confused with these sounds I looked for the words vent and vin and noticed (if I'm listening well haha) that in most recordings "vent" and "vin" are both pronounced like [vã], except in the last recordings of "vent" which sounds like [ɛ̃] (in this case one was pronounced by a canadian, perhaps here we come to the matter of accent).

Sorry to disappoint you, but for me, these recordings are completly different. I hear clearly 2 different sounds.
Even if there are (small) local variations due to the accents, it's almost impossible for a native speaker to mistake these sounds.

So I think I must work on recognizing those differences. Thank you very much :)

I am not a native speaker of French and I hear two very distinctive sounds. Learning to recognize and reproduce sounds not found in our native language takes time and effort. It certainly does for me. Especially the latter.

Here is one site that you may be interested in: FSI French Phonology. It has a lot of exercises in recognizing and pronouncing French sounds. You can also download the files from here. This course was developed by the United States Foreign Service Institute and has received good reviews on this forum.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:29 pm

tastyonions wrote:Cezar, here are six words to help you:

vent (m) = wind
vin (m) = wine
sans = without
sain = healthy
rang (m) = rank / row
rein (m) = kidney

Now all I need to do is learn to pronounce /R/ like you do! ;)
0 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:17 pm

This post, from mangata, has a link to the site recommended by Arnaud, and another site showing minimal pairs.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”