General language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
sporedandroid
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (pre-A1), Turkish (pre-A1, aiming for around A1)

Re: General language log

Postby sporedandroid » Sat May 18, 2019 12:57 am

Just started studying a bit of German. I’m using the 10 000 German sentences on anki. For now I’m keeping it limited to 5 new cards a day and 20 reviews. I don’t want German to take away time from Hebrew. I might drop German if this arrangement doesn’t work out for me. Even if I drop it I’ll be happy to have some exposure to German. When I tried studying basic Turkish at the same time things didn’t work.

Mainly because I was practicing Turkish prosody and it took away time from Hebrew prosody. It was still interesting to see how different it feels to speak Turkish. I could just feel my mouth bending to the different vowels and rhythms. My curiosity about Turkish has been satisfied. I think Turkish also didn’t work out because it’s not indo-european. I also don’t find anything interesting about Turkish besides the phonology and some music.

German is kind of challenging for me at the moment like all new languages I start. I’m using a bit of YouTube lessons to clarify what is unclear. Right now I’m unclear about German pronouns. I think the YouTube lessons have been pretty helpful. The ones about Hebrew aren’t too helpful because a lot of it is for Biblical Hebrew. I’ll be on the lookout for some good explanations of Modern Hebrew and German grammar. I think German is a good cover up. I think I’ll talk to my parents about how my lack of privacy makes me feel unsafe practicing German. I’ll just tell them I’d like to feel safe practicing German.

I’ll probably be practicing Hebrew instead, but if I get adequate privacy they’ll never know. I just feel better telling people I’m studying German since I have pretty much no emotions attached to German and it’s a more common language. I’m also interested in optics, so it’s a legit sounding reason to study German.
1 x

sporedandroid
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (pre-A1), Turkish (pre-A1, aiming for around A1)

Re: General language log

Postby sporedandroid » Thu May 23, 2019 3:30 am

My Hebrew experiment has been working pretty well. I temporarily reduced the amount of new cards and reviews and just focused very hard on the cards I have. How I would focus very hard on a card is make sure I know what all the words mean and make sure it makes sense to me. I also did this thing where I would keep replaying it until I felt I understood it. I noticed that could improve my listening comprehension for a card within a few days. Overall doing this has made it easier to study more cards. I do notice I’m understanding more words from songs, but I still haven’t reached the point where I can find some comprehensible input.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”