Lianne's 365 Days of French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
iguanamon
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Lianne's 365 Days of French

Postby iguanamon » Fri May 17, 2019 8:15 pm

Lianne wrote: Am I too late to do things like FSI or Cortina?
In other words, would I be wasting my time to now do FSI Basic and/or Phonology and/or Cortina? I hear so many good things about them. But sometimes I think it's ridiculous to start doing courses for beginners when I'm not a beginner. BUT, if some of my skills suck so bad that I feel like a beginner, then maybe I should act like one.

Understanding is one thing, "automaticity" is another. You can work on certain aspects of French with a course like FSI and you don't have to do the whole thing. You can skip to where you feel you need more work. The drills will help do exactly what the word implies- drill concepts into your mind until they become more automatic. If you don't need the work... move on to something else. You can also search for vocabulary drills online, e.g.: le sobjonctif. You don't have to do beginner courses or even start at the beginning of other courses. Do what you need to consolidate and/or acquire knowledge.

Those of us who live outside TL countries and don't get much opportunity to speak and/or write need to do those activities in order to make language concepts more connected in our minds. It certainly can help. Each language activity tends to inform the other- writing helps with speaking; listening helps with reading; reading helps with writing; speaking helps with writing; reading helps with listening... etc... etc. The skills don't all have to be worked on equally. Speaking can lag behind writing, writing can lag behind reading, etc., but working some with each skill can help with the others.
Last edited by iguanamon on Fri May 17, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri May 17, 2019 10:15 pm

I like Jeff's and StringerBell's and Iguanamon's advice. Also, I would advise FSI, if you can stomach them. Personally, I don't like FSI, but from the little that I did I thought it would be effective for anyone who can stick with it.
You might also try finding plays like Feydeau's. Take one of the roles and when your lines come up, mute the sound of the actor and read or speak the lines yourself.
2 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

Morgana
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n); sv (int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9665

Postby Morgana » Fri May 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Lianne wrote:But sometimes I think it's ridiculous to start doing courses for beginners when I'm not a beginner. BUT, if some of my skills suck so bad that I feel like a beginner, then maybe I should act like one.
I agree with all of the above advice to fill in the gaps you perceive. Just don't set a trap for yourself where you get stuck in beginner resource after beginner resource because one skill or area isn't "good enough" yet. You can do targeted work on the areas of weakness while still keeping yourself challenged in the more developed areas. Good luck!
4 x

badger
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2/B1), Spanish A0
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Sun May 19, 2019 5:52 pm

I started doing FSI Basic French a few weeks ago & I'm rather enjoying it. I think you're at a somewhat similar level to me & my active skills also lag behind my passive skills. it's worth remembering that although FSI courses teach the language from scratch, they are aimed at very able, already-multilingual learners, so it's not really fair to consider them at the same level as Pimsleur, Michel Thomas et al. (both of which I tried & didn't get on with). the content obviously does start out pretty basic, but it does require an immediacy in the verbal production drills that certainly stretches me a bit. if it really is too basic you can skip ahead a few levels.

I think it's probably an approach that you either like or you don't, but it's free so it might be worth an hour or two of your time to try it & see if it works for you. to get a flavour maybe start on Volume 1 unit 3 rather than right at the start.

here's the link I downloaded the course from:

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/FSI/fsi-french-basic.html
2 x

Lianne
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int), ASL (beg)
Wish list: Swedish, Italian, Esperanto, Klingon
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona, Swahili
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=127744

Postby Lianne » Mon May 20, 2019 3:16 am

French 365 Day Challenge
Day 137:
26 minutes Pimsleur French III, lesson 11
45 minutes watching Angel (Judgement)
45 minutes watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Real Me)

Day 138:
45 minutes watching Angel (Are You Now or Have You Ever Been)
30 minutes Duolingo
at least 30 minutes doing the Weekly Writing Challenge

ASL 6 Week Challenge
May 17: nothing
May 18: 30 minutes. I learned the rest of the vocabulary for lesson 4.

Regarding the subject of FSI: I started it today! More to come in my next update (since this one didn't cover today, as it isn't over yet).
Last edited by Lianne on Tue May 21, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
: 140 / 365 365 Day French Challenge
: 23 / 100 French Super Challenge Books
: 33 / 100 French Super Challenge Movies

: 3 / 15 ASL 101

Lianne
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int), ASL (beg)
Wish list: Swedish, Italian, Esperanto, Klingon
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona, Swahili
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=127744

Postby Lianne » Tue May 21, 2019 2:30 am

French 365 Day Challenge
Day 139:
2 hours FSI French Basic, unit 1

Day 140:
1 hour, 15 minutes FSI French Basic, unit 1

Thank you to everyone who responded to my questions about where I should go from here in my studying! I decided to give FSI French Basic a try, and I'm glad that I did. So far I've completed unit 1. It was easy in terms of the content covered, so I just quickly read through the grammar sections and vocab, but I did do all of the drills. I think that stuff like that, even when it's relatively easy, can help me with my fluency and automaticity. And looking ahead at future units, there's definitely more difficult grammar to come! I can see why some people can't hack it, but I think FSI and I are going to get along famously. :)

ASL 6 Week Challenge
May 19: 30 minutes. I watched the video for lesson 4.
May 20: nothing.
3 x
: 140 / 365 365 Day French Challenge
: 23 / 100 French Super Challenge Books
: 33 / 100 French Super Challenge Movies

: 3 / 15 ASL 101

Return to “Language logs”