No Manches - 2019 Spanish log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Re: No Manches - 2019 Spanish log

Postby NoManches » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:59 pm

January was a somewhat productive month. I only managed 9.5 hours of conversation practice (on Skype), and 4 hours of grammar study (I didn't start to keep track until the second week of January). In preparation of my exam I've come up with a few daily and weekly goals.

Daily goals:
-1 hour of pleasure reading each day.
-Study vocabulary with Anki.
-Fill all gaps with podcasts, make sure at least 20 minutes of my day is working somewhat intensively with a podcast.
-read 5 newspaper articles each day. At least 1 must be 1,000 words in length, and on an educational topic. Work intensively with article until 100% comprehension is achieved.

Note Reading newspaper articles is something I have never really done a lot of. Typically, I like to read online and usually read the "lifestyle" or "entertaining" articles that I find interesting. I came across this thread and want to thank Axon for posting it. With 9 months to prepare for my DELE exam, I think working with more difficult newspaper articles is something that will help me out a lot. Here is the thread for anybody interested:

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =14&t=7622

Weekly goals include:
-Study grammar 3 times a week for a minimum of 30 minutes.
-Log in at least 3 hours of conversation practice on Skype (most of this has been with tutors).
-Work through my DELE preparation books, which means I am doing the listening, reading, and writing sections of the book on my own each week. A tutor helps me with my writing, and another tutor helps me with the oral portions.
-Read 1 book each week (for this to happen, I need to get faster in reading in Spanish...but I think it is a good goal to aim for)

I finished Los Cadáveres No Sueñan by Enrique Laso, and have started the third book in the trilogy: Libélulas Azules

I finished the 4th episode of Casa de Papel. I really should spend more time watching this show, just because it's so good. I've made reading a priority over watching TV though, since I already spend a lot of time listening to podcasts.

I downloaded the scripts for El Ministerio del Tiempo. I plan on reading each script before watching the show, as an experiment. Last time I tried to watch the show my comprehension for Castilian Spanish wasn't too great....although it is a lot better now. I've sent the scripts to my Kindle so I can easily read them and use the pop up dictionary when I need to. It already seems like reading the scripts helps my comprehension during all the scenes when the actor mumbles or says something with a lot of background noise.

And on a final note, I have been 100% successful with the 365 day language challenge. Spanish is a big part of my life now, so its pretty hard to even go a day without using it in some way. Granted, I've had occasional breaks where I stop studying for a month or two...but I'm hoping this won't be the case in 2019.
Last edited by NoManches on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
6 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 9210 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

MamaPata
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Russian (B1), Spanish (A2).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:37 pm

Where did you get the scripts for El Ministerio? I think that would be a great thing for me to work with.
Excited to see your progress!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:51 pm

MamaPata wrote:Where did you get the scripts for El Ministerio? I think that would be a great thing for me to work with.
Excited to see your progress!

I had to ask in the Official Telenovela thread because I couldn't find the link. Thanks to Cavesa for mentioning this a while back.

NoManches wrote:
Doitsujin wrote:
NoManches wrote:Does anybody know of any that are available?
Cavesa posted some time ago the link to the scripts for El Ministerio del Tiempo.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Seems like I mixed up the titles though.

The other day I took the transcript for a RadioAmbulante podcast and sent it to my kindle (try to make sure it is not in pdf format or it'll be hard to read). I listened to the podcasts twice during the day, and read the transcript from my kindle later that night. The next day I listened again. My comprehension for the podcasts was already at about 98.5%, but reading on the kindle helped clear up a few words and things said that I couldn't make out (mostly things from Nicolás Maduro.....man I hate the way he gives speeches). The next day I listened tot he podcast again and I could tell that reading the transcript and having an easy way to look up words was a good idea....but I needed something a little harder.

Hope this pays off big with El Ministerio del Tiempo!

MamaPata wrote:Excited to see your progress!

Thank you so much! I know that even if I don't pass this exam, if I keep doing what I'm doing right now I will reach a level that I can finally be happy with....which means that I wouldn't even care about having the certificate
3 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:59 am

I have been so busy studying Spanish that I forgot to update my log last week.

Preparing for this exam has only reminded me of how little time I really have for dedicated Spanish study. I've been doing pretty good squeezing Spanish into my day whenever I can, but that usually makes up passive use of the language (i.e. passively listening to a podcast when you do the dishes). I really love those periods of time (1-2 hours) when I can just sit down and study, read, listen, etc. I miss my college days when I could spend hours each day studying Spanish.

For the time being I've been rotating between 4 different DELE preparation books. Two are for the B2 level, and the other two are for the C1 level. I'm saving those ones (the C1 books) for about 4-5 months out from the exam. The first time I worked with those books it was a pretty awful experience. I did HORRIBLE on the B2 listening AND reading portions of the exam. The bad part is that I thought I did excellent. What I soon realized is that this exam (and the practice exams in the books) are not like anything I've done before. My biggest lesson so far: almost every question will have an answer that is meant to throw you off. It will seem so obvious but if you select that answer without carefully reading the question over again or rereading the text you will probably get it wrong. After going back and doing the test again a few days later I got a perfect score. If you are planning on taking this exam I promise you that it is something you need to prepare for. Being fluent isn't enough. You have to specifically prepare for this very exam. I think a native speaker who just walked in to take the exam would probably find it difficult (partly because of time restraints) and because they would answer questions with what they thought were the "obvious answers" only to find out that they should have carefully reread the question or text from the reading. The only part of this exam that I HATE so far is the part where you have to fill in the blanks of a text with fragments that were removed. I have no problems with the other parts of the test (after I realized that there was more to taking the test than answering with what seemed like the obvious answer :roll: ). If anybody knows a way I can practice for this part of the exam I am all ears...because as of now it is the only portion I'm truly having problems with. Fortunately I still have a bunch of practice exams to do involving this fun little activity.

As a confidence boost I took the "Prueba de Nivel" from Institute Cervantes and got a C1.3-C1.4 :D

I don't think this was very accurate since it wasn't a good reflection of the exam (no writing or speaking portion) but it did test reading/listening comprehension and asked a bunch of grammar questions.

I have about 40 weeks until the exam. I have a bad habit of procrastinating or picking telenovelas over grammar study so I've had to come up with the following checklist of things I do daily/weekly to keep me in line:

Daily:
-Read 5 newspaper articles (preferably from El Pais, El Mundo, or something similar).
-Study vocab with anki. Almost any new word in a newspaper article or from my DELE prep books gets added.
-Listen intensively to 10 minutes of Spanish podcasts (trying to make this so I do a listening exercise daily from my preparation books).

Weekly:
-Complete 3 written essays in Spanish (all essay prompts taken from DELE prep books).
-Review essays with tutor once each week. After, rewrite corrected sentences into notebook.
-Complete the Comprensión Auditiva section from my DELE books. This is 5 "tareas". I make sure later in the week I go over everything so I understand why I got an answer wrong and why the right answer makes sense.
-Complete the Comprensión de Lectura section from DELE prep books. Later in the week I go over this section again in order to understand why I got some answers wrong and why the correct answers are the better choice.
-Study grammar 3 times each week for a minimum of 30 minutes. The goal is to keep this up until November so when I go to take the exam I feel confident and don't make B1 grammar mistakes at a C1 test.

I make everything I have mentioned above a priority. Throughout my day I squeeze in as much podcasts, pleasure reading, and Spanish music as I can. Also, I'm managing anywhere from 3-4 hours of conversation practice each week on Skype (a mix of tutors and conversation partners).

If I can keep this up for 39 more weeks I think I'll have a decent shot at comping close to passing the exam :lol: .
7 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

Return to “Language logs”