The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Jim
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (frosty intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5766

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:18 am

Apologies PM, I am one of the 31. I missed a couple of days at the start of March and lost track of my score. I think withdrawing from end of Feb makes the most sense if you’re happy with that - final score 43. I’m still with the challengers in spirit though and endeavouring to do something every day. Best of luck all.
1 x
La hora más oscura es la que viene antes del nacimiento del sol

Merci de corriger mes erreurs !

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 am

Jim wrote:Apologies PM, I am one of the 31. I missed a couple of days at the start of March and lost track of my score. I think withdrawing from end of Feb makes the most sense if you’re happy with that - final score 43. I’m still with the challengers in spirit though and endeavouring to do something every day. Best of luck all.

Thanks Jim, no worries, I appreciate the reply :) Keep up the regular study habits ;)
0 x

IronMike
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current: Russian (2+L/2+R on DLPT5 in 2019; 2+S in 2014)
Maintaining: Italian (1L/2R on DLPT IV in 2019) and Esperanto (C1 on the KER skriba exam, 2017)
Lapsed: BCS (2S/3L/2+R once upon a time...not that now!)
Future?: Old English; Croatian; Cornish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:58 pm

Hey Peter, I wrote to you in the other 365 thread. I forgot to update the thread for March, which I did in that other thread. I won't forget to update for April late next week.
1 x
Language books for sale here. (Admin approved)

SC Esperanto films : 40 / 100
SC Esperanto books : 26 / 100
SC Russian films : 3 / 50
SC Russian books : 7 / 50
2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 172 / 365

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:46 pm

IronMike wrote:Hey Peter, I wrote to you in the other 365 thread. I forgot to update the thread for March, which I did in that other thread. I won't forget to update for April late next week.

Yep, no worries, I received your message at the time and updated your score then (see March leaderboard in scoring thread).

Side note:
I believe that there are very few participating beyond the numbers reported. So now with 52 ‘active’ participants and 22 participants having provided scores for March, I’d hazard a guess that under 30 are actually participating at this point in the competition.
3 x

Formeo
Languages: Deutsch/German (Native)
American English (B1)
Japanese (A1 ~ A2)
Tagalog (Beginner)
Afrikaans (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10441

Postby Formeo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:00 am

I think I'll give this a try. I'll join with Japanese.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:40 am

Formeo wrote:I think I'll give this a try. I'll join with Japanese.

Hi Formeo and welcome. I just need you to confirm your start date. April 28th?

As the challenge is already under way, I just want to let you know that as per the rules of the challenge, for those starting after the 1st of Feb 2019, your finish date will be 31st of Jan 2020. Therefore, you will not complete a full 365 days of the challenge, even if you do not miss a single day of study. Let me know how you feel about all this.
0 x

Formeo
Languages: Deutsch/German (Native)
American English (B1)
Japanese (A1 ~ A2)
Tagalog (Beginner)
Afrikaans (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10441

Postby Formeo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:34 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Hi Formeo and welcome. I just need you to confirm your start date. April 28th?

Uh, no sorry, I wanted to start April 29th, tomorrow. Forgot to mention this.

PeterMollenburg wrote:As the challenge is already under way, I just want to let you know that as per the rules of the challenge, for those starting after the 1st of Feb 2019, your finish date will be 31st of Jan 2020. Therefore, you will not complete a full 365 days of the challenge, even if you do not miss a single day of study. Let me know how you feel about all this.

Yes I have read that and yes, I am okay with it.
1 x

coldrainwater
Green Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (intermediate), DE (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:37 pm

I am announcing a switch from Spanish only to generic. I gladly announce my intent, as suggested per the rules, but am doing so here since I think a few of you might be interested in the reasoning that I share in journal-like form (clearly ignoring brevity and also scampering away from my actual journal to write a few words in English). I prefer not to clutter up the scoring thread with the self same message. The rules are sufficiently flexible (thanks Peter!) to allow for a proper decision in my case, even though I juggle only two foreign languages. That is another good reason to place the elaboration here.

Strategy and decision: I finished three years of consistent Spanish study at month's end May 2019. After the dust settled, it left me with intermediate skills in writing and speaking and advanced skills in reading and listening. I started L3 (DE) in May 2019. Starting new habits are tough, and I wanted to wait and see how things went with DE. Relevant to this challenge, I am leaning heavily on my L2 (ES) for an assist in adding L3 (DE). After a month of dedicated German study, much of which included Assimil and Duolingo, both sourced in Spanish, I can see a small but clear improvement in my Spanish that I believe came from learning German with it. I don't mind if others interpret that as an endorsement as my experience doing this has been quite positive. All this is in addition to a slight ES listening taper, coincident with a conscious move toward more desk study and away from brute listening. Retrospectively, I had been on what amounted to an all out assault on Spanish listening, which was successful and for the record, I likely listened a few months more than needed, dipping mildly into a bucket of diminishing returns. I didn't think of it that way in the moment, but looking back and looking at the hours....

Separately, I feel that my German habit has more than less taken hold, and thus I am comfortable switching to generic. I would like the flexibility to do some days in pure German without English or Spanish (or anything else romantic for that matter, which notably is a wide-open revolving door that smacks me every now and again, sometimes in the nose, other times in the rear) should the whim strike. I chose generic also over pure DE to reflect the duality that I am consciously using as much ES as I can reasonably fit, deferring, when appropriate, to specific English resources that would be detrimental to skip in my better holistic judgment. I have a few side quests going on that I can elaborate on elsewhere, but pertinently, I find learning an L3 far more enjoyable from an L2 than I do from L1. Part of my reasoning traces back to 35+ years as a monolingual and having been a bit bored with a single language. It is also a way to stay planted firmly in language learning, balancing, quite literally, my constant employment with EN living in TX. Yet another part of it is that I was searching for an ideal way to push L2 to advanced in one of my output areas (and speaking sure as ____ isn't happening first), and I think I can do this with writing by learning DE. I am killing four capital letters with one heavy stone, but quite honestly, I had not really figured out how I was going to push ES writing. It was less a matter of how to do it, which is trivial thanks to this forum, but rather of how to get myself to actually do it, which is the question that comes pat to the purpose.

Yet another way of putting it is that bootstrapping an L3 using L2 adds motivation and beginner excitement to habit, making for a cool summer wave to surf in on.

So generic it is now, and generic I predict it to be for the last 7/12 of this [challenge + journey]. My only regret is not having written this announcement in ES, would have been good practice. I have an idea or two for writing practice though that I will share in rdearman's crazy challenge thread.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:20 pm

coldrainwater wrote:Retrospectively, I had been on what amounted to an all out assault on Spanish listening, which was successful and for the record, I likely listened a few months more than needed, dipping mildly into a bucket of diminishing returns. I didn't think of it that way in the moment, but looking back and looking at the hours....
I write this question in case I forget it after catching up on your log, where you probably mention your Spanish "assault"? How many hours did your assault last? I ask because I'm doing an assault on French right now, and plan in a few months to begin an assault on Spanish. Anyways, good luck to you and all the others attempting this 365 challenge. And now on to your log.
0 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

coldrainwater
Green Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (intermediate), DE (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
coldrainwater wrote:Retrospectively, I had been on what amounted to an all out assault on Spanish listening, which was successful and for the record, I likely listened a few months more than needed, dipping mildly into a bucket of diminishing returns. I didn't think of it that way in the moment, but looking back and looking at the hours....
I write this question in case I forget it after catching up on your log, where you probably mention your Spanish "assault"? How many hours did your assault last? I ask because I'm doing an assault on French right now, and plan in a few months to begin an assault on Spanish. Anyways, good luck to you and all the others attempting this 365 challenge. And now on to your log.
Good question. Looking back at my log and some prior forum posts, the assault period had a pretty clear start month of June 2018. End date when I realized I had overshot the mark a bit was March 2019. In that ten month timeframe, I estimate about 130 hours of listening per month, so 1300 hours in total. Much of that listening time was passive listening and extensive by nature.

I saw a couple of sub-patterns that might be worth the mention while I am thinking about them. They might give you or others ideas. The transition I made in June 2018 went from a mix of mostly literature reading (advanced), some audiobook hours (listen only or read/listen, also advanced content), and 1-2 hours of podcasts per day to dropping the literature reading and replacing it with almost all audiobook hours, plus a continued 1-2 hours per day of podcasts. At that point, going through audiobooks was quick, one every few days perhaps. Once that became pretty easy, I dropped the audiobooks and sought more challenge from podcasts, seeking some of the toughest I could find with varied content (some of my favorites are described in the Spanish podcast thread). At the time I am not sure I knew what you would call it, but since very early on in my Spanish listening, I liked to listen to 50 or so hour chunks of a given audio resource (podcast). That seemed to be the right amount of time for me to get used to the idolects of the few people that happened to be presenting. In addition to podcasts involving humor and podcasts from different countries, I listened to quite a bit of peninsular Spanish. I really liked the subject matter and it was easier for me to find challenging audio content via Peninsular dialects (I pretty much went on weekly raids of iVoox). It is a moot point now since I am not currently a big TV watcher, but I did take the time to compare TV dialogue to my podcasts, and the podcasts were almost always more challenging, so I stayed with them. In November of 2018, I was able to field test the results with monolingual travel to Mexico City and again with a trip to Cataluña (Barcelona) in December 2018. Several groups of natives independently evaluated my listening as advanced in Mexico. I saw and still see plenty of weakness to improve upon should I want to push listening further, but I would have to have put it at C1 or thereabout in the moment.

For completeness and as an addendum, I have kept it in my mind that I started a longer-term listening habit in March 2017, a few months after joining this forum and realizing the mistake I had made in neglecting listening for the first nine months or so of my journey. It is hard for me to give accurate data, but I suspect I listened to an average of maybe 2 hours per day from March 2017 to the end of February 2019, maybe 1450 hours in total (with the potential for a lot of variance and even more nuance in that figure). Incidentally, I believe that explains why I persisted into 2019 with such heavy listening hours even though I recognized that the skill was already sufficient for my language needs. Completing that two year stetch was motivating for me. Part of it was momentum and force of habit as well.

All in all, I wish you the best of luck in your assault on French as well. I don't look so far into the future, but French could be my next language after German. I will be following your progress. The listening aspect of French is one of the most intriguing aspects of the language in my limited experience/opinion. As post-data, I also have a few ideas on how I can make my log and other posts a bit more useful (to myself and hopefully others too). Rather long-winded answers like this one are fun and good offer a good reflection, but they do take a long time to read and would be fairly skipped by many.
3 x

Return to “Language Challenges”