The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2075
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784
x 4017

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:12 am

Spoonary wrote:Ok, I give up. I missed another day yesterday, because I didn't feel like doing anything productive, and I have some things planned this week that will stop me from being able to do even 30 minutes of worthwhile study, so I'm dropping out of the challenge.

I am, however, going to continue with German and do at least 30 minutes each day that I want to/can dedicate that time to it, so at least this challenge has brought some kind of consistency to my life :lol:

Final score, I dunno. I studied 11 days out of 13, so that gives me -3 right? :roll:


Final score is -3 as you stated. Sorry to see you go, Spoonary, but totally understandable. This does make me think (it's early days yet), that for those who have withdrawn, or simply not chosen to join due to the penalties, that perhaps next year (and this is perhaps, as it may be working fine for the majority to impose penalties) no penalties might work better, or even no penalties but positive reinforcement via 'streak bonuses', and with those who skip days simply have a lower total (and maybe don't obtain bonus points - for streaks). This has been suggested already, granted, but your withdrawal, rdearman's and others not participating due to penalties, as well as some comments left in this thread, just make me reflect on other potential approaches. Still, there's a long way to go and lot of feedback to be gathered down the track. Good luck with your studies Spoonary!
4 x

User avatar
ロータス
Green Belt
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:33 pm
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (HSK 2/TOCFL 1), Korean (Beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8177
x 523

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby ロータス » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:30 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Final score is -3 as you stated. Sorry to see you go, Spoonary, but totally understandable. This does make me think (it's early days yet), that for those who have withdrawn, or simply not chosen to join due to the penalties, that perhaps next year (and this is perhaps, as it may be working fine for the majority to impose penalties) no penalties might work better, or even no penalties but positive reinforcement via 'streak bonuses', and with those who skip days simply have a lower total (and maybe don't obtain bonus points - for streaks). This has been suggested already, granted, but your withdrawal, rdearman's and others not participating due to penalties, as well as some comments left in this thread, just make me reflect on other potential approaches. Still, there's a long way to go and lot of feedback to be gathered down the track. Good luck with your studies Spoonary!


>no penalties might work better

I feel like this will cause more people to drop/quit/give up. This a challenge. I don't understand how seeing people withdrawn is making you think you need to lower or even get rid of the main motivation to keep going in the challenge. This a challenge. Not everyone is going to 'pass'/'win'. This a challenge. Studying everyday for a year is hard. Not everyone is going to be able to do it. That is what makes it a CHALLENGE. None of this 'positive reinforcement'. You miss a day, sucks to lose your progress but now you should be even more motivated for that to not happen again and to try to get the highest 'score' you can. All my opinion; Just can't stand seeing this CHALLENGE getting nerfed because it is a CHALLENGE to complete.

Next year you might as well take the word 'challenge' out of the title and call it '365 Days of Trying' and everyone 'wins' even if you do nothing >_<
5 x
Reading in one language
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

User avatar
lavengro
Orange Belt
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 1:39 am
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Languages: English (N), French (A2), Spanish (A1), Italian (non parlo italiano, yet); Judoon (on deck - see link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtdoPUQimJg)
x 336

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby lavengro » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:44 am

PeterMollenburg wrote: .... This does make me think (it's early days yet), that for those who have withdrawn, or simply not chosen to join due to the penalties, that perhaps next year (and this is perhaps, as it may be working fine for the majority to impose penalties) no penalties might work better, or even no penalties but positive reinforcement via 'streak bonuses', and with those who skip days simply have a lower total (and maybe don't obtain bonus points - for streaks). This has been suggested already, granted, but your withdrawal, rdearman's and others not participating due to penalties, as well as some comments left in this thread, just make me reflect on other potential approaches. Still, there's a long way to go and lot of feedback to be gathered down the track. ...


But there is still going to be pizza for the eventual winner me, right?

Thanks again Peter for setting this up, I have already been prodded into productive language study on a couple of days that I would otherwise have just blown off.
2 x

User avatar
Xenops
Blue Belt
Posts: 949
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm
Location: Boston
Languages: English (N), Japanese (reviving A2), French (undecided A2), Nansha (constructing).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7472
x 1679
Contact:

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby Xenops » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:11 am

ロータス wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Final score is -3 as you stated. Sorry to see you go, Spoonary, but totally understandable. This does make me think (it's early days yet), that for those who have withdrawn, or simply not chosen to join due to the penalties, that perhaps next year (and this is perhaps, as it may be working fine for the majority to impose penalties) no penalties might work better, or even no penalties but positive reinforcement via 'streak bonuses', and with those who skip days simply have a lower total (and maybe don't obtain bonus points - for streaks). This has been suggested already, granted, but your withdrawal, rdearman's and others not participating due to penalties, as well as some comments left in this thread, just make me reflect on other potential approaches. Still, there's a long way to go and lot of feedback to be gathered down the track. Good luck with your studies Spoonary!


>no penalties might work better

I feel like this will cause more people to drop/quit/give up. This a challenge. I don't understand how seeing people withdrawn is making you think you need to lower or even get rid of the main motivation to keep going in the challenge. This a challenge. Not everyone is going to 'pass'/'win'. This a challenge. Studying everyday for a year is hard. Not everyone is going to be able to do it. That is what makes it a CHALLENGE. None of this 'positive reinforcement'. You miss a day, sucks to lose your progress but now you should be even more motivated for that to not happen again and to try to get the highest 'score' you can. All my opinion; Just can't stand seeing this CHALLENGE getting nerfed because it is a CHALLENGE to complete.

Next year you might as well take the word 'challenge' out of the title and call it '365 Days of Trying' and everyone 'wins' even if you do nothing >_<


I agree: challenges make it more fun, I think...That, and my competitive spirit pushes me to study so I don't get penalized. I want that winner's pizza, too. ;)
1 x

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2075
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784
x 4017

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:12 am

ロータス wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Final score is -3 as you stated. Sorry to see you go, Spoonary, but totally understandable. This does make me think (it's early days yet), that for those who have withdrawn, or simply not chosen to join due to the penalties, that perhaps next year (and this is perhaps, as it may be working fine for the majority to impose penalties) no penalties might work better, or even no penalties but positive reinforcement via 'streak bonuses', and with those who skip days simply have a lower total (and maybe don't obtain bonus points - for streaks). This has been suggested already, granted, but your withdrawal, rdearman's and others not participating due to penalties, as well as some comments left in this thread, just make me reflect on other potential approaches. Still, there's a long way to go and lot of feedback to be gathered down the track. Good luck with your studies Spoonary!


>no penalties might work better

I feel like this will cause more people to drop/quit/give up. This a challenge. I don't understand how seeing people withdrawn is making you think you need to lower or even get rid of the main motivation to keep going in the challenge. This a challenge. Not everyone is going to 'pass'/'win'. This a challenge. Studying everyday for a year is hard. Not everyone is going to be able to do it. That is what makes it a CHALLENGE. None of this 'positive reinforcement'. You miss a day, sucks to lose your progress but now you should be even more motivated for that to not happen again and to try to get the highest 'score' you can. All my opinion; Just can't stand seeing this CHALLENGE getting nerfed because it is a CHALLENGE to complete.

Next year you might as well take the word 'challenge' out of the title and call it '365 Days of Trying' and everyone 'wins' even if you do nothing >_<


It’s just reflection, no-one’s taking the word ‘challenge’ anywhere nor the penalties, so it’s justifiably staying put. Just reflecting, and I may do more of it which you may or may not like. You also have a point (as do others), and I’m also free to reflect on that too. I did say "Still, there's a long way to go and lot of feedback to be gathered down the track".

I have been looking for someone or some others to share the managing of this challenge, particularly as I’m likely to be away from the forum for good stretches of time later this year. Perhaps your enthusiasm for the challenge as stands currently could be a good balance against my aiming to please everyone. Would you be interested, ロータス in joining the ‘management team’? If not no probs.

Edit: Others are welcome to apply!
1 x

User avatar
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Posts: 1640
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm
Location: Germany and France
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859
x 3770
Contact:

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:... I’m likely to be away from the forum for good stretches of time later this year. ...
You seem to planning to do the scoring manually? Can I say with both admiration and a side-eye ... that's nuts! Good luck!
0 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2075
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784
x 4017

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:06 am

zenmonkey wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:... I’m likely to be away from the forum for good stretches of time later this year. ...


You seem to planning to do the scoring manually? Can I say with both admiration and a side-eye ... that's nuts! Good luck!


I am not an IT person, I personally have no other options. Willing for others to step in here. I'm really extremely busy most of the time, like most people here, and I keep asking for help, so it's more than welcome. However if no-one steps in, expect it to be a little clunky, old-fashioned, if you will, and potentially completely in limbo for periods of time (I'm not the ideal person for the job, i'm just the one who set up what others also had in mind). Of course zenmonkey, i'm not aiming this response personally at you.
1 x

User avatar
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Posts: 1640
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm
Location: Germany and France
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859
x 3770
Contact:

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:... I’m likely to be away from the forum for good stretches of time later this year. ...


You seem to planning to do the scoring manually? Can I say with both admiration and a side-eye ... that's nuts! Good luck!


I am not an IT person, I personally have no other options. Willing for others to step in here. I'm really extremely busy most of the time, like most people here, and I keep asking for help, so it's more than welcome. However if no-one steps in, expect it to be a little clunky, old-fashioned, if you will, and potentially completely in limbo for periods of time (I'm not the ideal person for the job, i'm just the one who set up what others also had in mind). Of course zenmonkey, i'm not aiming this response personally at you.


I get it. I'd love to help but I'm currently over-stretched and can't reasonably take on tasks. I'll *think* about it. :?
Too many projects... I've promised not to take anything on that isn't covering the bills...

If someone does decide to do it, the code is there for a twitterbot and I can point people in the right direction...
1 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2075
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784
x 4017

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:41 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:... I’m likely to be away from the forum for good stretches of time later this year. ...


You seem to planning to do the scoring manually? Can I say with both admiration and a side-eye ... that's nuts! Good luck!


I am not an IT person, I personally have no other options. Willing for others to step in here. I'm really extremely busy most of the time, like most people here, and I keep asking for help, so it's more than welcome. However if no-one steps in, expect it to be a little clunky, old-fashioned, if you will, and potentially completely in limbo for periods of time (I'm not the ideal person for the job, i'm just the one who set up what others also had in mind). Of course zenmonkey, i'm not aiming this response personally at you.


I get it. I'd love to help but I'm currently over-stretched and can't reasonably take on tasks. I'll *think* about it. :?
Too many projects... I've promised not to take anything on that isn't covering the bills...

If someone does decide to do it, the code is there for a twitterbot and I can point people in the right direction...


Cool, I understand. There is another possibility too, if back in the newly created scoring thread: The 2019 365 Day Challenge - SCORING everyone posts their scoring themselves and as they do so, they quote or copy the leaderboard list as it stood with the previous person’s post immediately before them who has done the same (added themselves to the leaderboard where they fit in the overall standings with their score at the end of the month and their total score). With each post the leaderboard would grow, and it would just be one post per participant at the end of each month. This would make it a more joint operation and save me the hassle of chasing 50+ scores each month. I guess it could even remain in this thread then to keep it altogether.
4 x

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2075
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784
x 4017

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:22 am

I hereby withdraw from Dutch and Arabic. French remains ;)
0 x


Return to “Language Challenges”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests