Do you like Duolingo?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), EN-AFR/EN-CAR (B2 / C2), Alpha Centaurian (C2), AR (C2), ES (B2), FR (B1 / B2), NL (A1 / B2), AF (pre-A1 / B2), SWA (A2 / B1), SV/DA/NO (pre-A1 / B2), PT (pre-A1 / B2), IT (pre-A1 / B2), RO (pre-A1 / B2), LAT (pre-A1 / B2), EO (pre-A1 / B2), JP (A1), toki pona (A1), micro-learning several others.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: Do you like Duolingo?

Postby SGP » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:56 am

Djedida wrote:The app assumes that you have little to know experience with the language and you should answer the way the app teaches. That said, there is a feature where you can report a sentence and flag "My answer should be considered correct". How quickly the answer becomes accepted depends on the course creators; some courses are better at adding corrections and alternative answers than others.

A rather long time ago, I had been using DL as something additional for revising Spanish.
The web site, not the app. Although I would suppose that they are similar in that regard.
Now that I am thinking of it again... there is something that came to my mind right now.
One solution could be to note somewhere what answers are accepted by DL (because they are taught in the course). Then to think of an answer on one's own. And to check the notes before actually typing it. Not the best solution, I know. But a workaround.
0 x

CarlyD
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--on hold (A2), German--now studying (A1)
Bucket List: Russian, Slovene

Postby CarlyD » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:59 pm

I've deleted my Duolingo and won't be returning.

I've mentioned here about their lack of explanations, etc.--but I kept plugging on, even though I was wondering if I was really learning anything.

Yesterday, a number of comments were made elsewhere about some changes Duolingo had made to their sentences. Apparently, they've decided to "take sides" on a variety of political/social issues and from the screenshots are offering sentences that make me wonder what their agenda is.

If I were actually learning something from their modules, I'm sure I'd just figure out how to ignore the sentences that are offensive.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (passive advanced, active basic)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 pm

I return to Duolingo a few times a year, enjoy lots of easy review for a week or so, and then leave again. Everytime, I am curious about the changes and news, despite knowing some of them are not for the better.

Duolingo has changed various things recently. Also, let's not forget some of the changes affect some users and not others (the famous A/B testing). I'd like to put here an overview of stuff I have either noticed or read about, for anyone considering whether to return to Duolingo or not. Some of the changes are good, some not. The rhetoric of the staff is bad as usual, decoding negative comments as passionate love for the product, and telling people right away that feedback is useless and the changes are set in stone. That is not a good strategy. Especially as they are forcing the changes on their paying Duo plus customers as well without an opt out choice. They paid for a different service than they are getting now.

1:the least important but most visible one: a new design of the owl and the pictures in the app, which will be moving to the website too. It seems to get most reactions, but it doesn't touch functionality per se. Yes, I think Duolingo is becoming more and more childish (too childish even for many children, from what I've read on their forum), but I wouldn't say that is the main change. Some are already calling for two versions of Duolingo. One for normal learners, one for the kids forced by schools to use it. As that seems to be the motivation behind turning Duo into more and more of a game and less and less of an educational tool.

2.I had a look and must confirm that the new font in the app is way too small for the learners of the Asian languages. In some versions, it may be all the font. That is a real accessibility problem, which Duolingo staff doesn't seem to realise. I don't know, why Duolingo cannot focus on the important part of the screen and make the letters bigger, or have a bigger font as an option in the settings. The font is eye tiring for me, so how must all the people with worse eye sight (for example most learners 50+) feel.

3.The ugly pictures of people unrelated to the sentences are gone! YAY! That means that the font in the Spanish Duolingo is actually bigger, at least in my version. Or perhaps it feels that way. I was actualy enjoying the app for a moment for procrastination thanks to this change. They finally got rid of the old fisherman supposedly saying "I'm a girl" taking over half the screen!

4.They removed the option to choose whether to choose retangles with words or type in the app. That is a huge change for the worse. And a reason for which Duo app cannot be entertaining for too long now, in my opinion, and is much less useful. I don't get why Duolingo goes for less and less individual choices of the users instead of the opposite.

5.In the app (at least in my version), you can test out only of the level 0 in each skill. I hate that. For the second half of my German tree (which is a sort of my Duolingo nemesis), I would be ok without testing out. But when I use it as very quick review of basic vocab that is not that often in my tv series or other more advanced materials (Spanish and Italian), non testing out would be too annoying and time consuming for too little value. I hope this doesn't spread to the website. I want to test out of anything. It would be a reason for me to do as CarlyD and leave.

6.There are still two main versions of the app. Mine, with the classical lingots and normal testing (but the hearts are not shown anymore), and the horrible one with gems and health. I understand Duo wants to make money (that's why there are so many ads, and duo plus), but this is not a good way. And they should remember they may push their users to look elsewhere. Duo may be number 1 among the free tools, but it is definitely not among the paid ones. The market has changed and grown.

7.The amount of lessons per skill is no longer visible in the app, only % of the skill done. That is unfortunate, in my opinion.

8.In some versions of the app (not mine), they seem to be reintroducing the leaderboards (I mean the ones not of your "friends"), in a useful mildly competitive way. It looks like they noticed how many people love the Duome leaderboards.

9:They are focusing on the Clubs, that is not new, I know. Yes, some of their functions are good (supplemental exercises on using the word in a sentence or describing a picture, those are steps in the right direction, even though not sufficient). But the main problem are the other learners. I am 100% convinced it is harmful for beginners to get input from other beginners even in classes. And it is worse on a sort of a forum without any corrections at all. And yes, the "pure duolingo learners" are able to make four mistakes while wishing you a Happy New Year.

10.Duolingo is working on professionalising the content. Which sounds good but isn't always that great. Right now, they are reworking the French tree, with several versions. Those with the professional made one complain about it being too slow paced. Duo says they are covering just A1 now (which is less than before) in more skills. And that they plan to add more, to A2. Well, wake up and look at Lingodeer. Despite all its problems (I've heard the european courses suffer from a lot of "childhood illnesses"), it aims for B1 in the languages. If Duo would make such a huuuuuuuge tree with tons and tons more example sentences on most vocab and grammar up to B1, it would a tool I would gladly pay for in my low level languages, but I am somehow not convined that's what's gonna happen. There is also a theory of two Duolingo versions planned and developped, one bad for the general public, and one supposedly better for universities (people talk about that when they talk about collaboration of Duo with Pearson, I think). If that is the case, I pity both the general public and the university students (americans will pay tons of money for college and get Duolingo. People outside of universities will want Duolingo and get worsened Duolingo).

For me, it is not that clear as for CarlyD. But who knows, perhaps I'll start encountering problematic political content too. I would say the website version is still a good basic exercise aside of other resources, at least for the non-asian languages. But it may be wise (as a few duo users suggested on the forum) to complete the trees you care about really fast, before they change something that matters to you. To somehow positively finish the relationship with Duolingo and have happy memories.
3 x

lavengro
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2), Spanish (A1), Italian (non parlo italiano, yet); Judoon (on deck - see link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtdoPUQimJg)

Postby lavengro » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:29 pm

CarlyD wrote:...

Yesterday, a number of comments were made elsewhere about some changes Duolingo had made to their sentences. Apparently, they've decided to "take sides" on a variety of political/social issues and from the screenshots are offering sentences that make me wonder what their agenda is.

If I were actually learning something from their modules, I'm sure I'd just figure out how to ignore the sentences that are offensive.

Hi CarlyD,

Would you be able to link to the comments that you refer to? The observations do not accord at all with my experience with Duolingo Italian (which I have been using daily for quite a while), nor in the early stages recently of Turkish. I have yet to come across any offensive sentences, though plenty of unusual ones.
2 x

WildGinger10
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B1ish - active), French (B1ish - inactive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 89#p128527

Postby WildGinger10 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:42 am

lavengro wrote:
CarlyD wrote:...

Would you be able to link to the comments that you refer to? The observations do not accord at all with my experience with Duolingo Italian (which I have been using daily for quite a while), nor in the early stages recently of Turkish. I have yet to come across any offensive sentences, though plenty of unusual ones.

In the English-German tree, I came across a number of sentences that were subtly "woke" or vaguely political - like "My gender is not important" or "The President has small hands." Both real sentences used in the English-German tree. I suppose conservative Americans might find these sentences to be offensive as they seem to "support" liberal ideas.
1 x

Prodgy1
Languages: English C1

Postby Prodgy1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:23 pm

It was ok at the very beginning. After some time I realised that some features are premium but things which are available apeals to me.
0 x

garyb
Brown Belt
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: Greek
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am

I saw a Facebook ad for Duolingo that was based around an obviously topical, controversial and simplistic political phrase. I just figured it was typical "debate-bait" designed (and succeeding pretty well) to get all the usual idiots arguing with each other to boost the page's reactions and comments as most marketers are doing these days, so I didn't think too much of it and just blocked the page and scrolled on. Like most companies who get political, their own agenda might not necessarily match the one they're appearing to promote, with the latter just being based on what makes them look good to the part of their target audience that agrees and is one-sided enough to attract "debate" from the part that doesn't.

If they're actually adding that stuff into their programme though, that's more concerning and I'd be put off using it. Currently I just use it as a way to keep my Greek studies alive on days when I don't have time or can't be bothered with proper study, so it's useful but I could live without it.
1 x

IronMike
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: Esperanto (C1 skriba on the KER exam) and Russian (2+/2+/3 on DLPT V)
Lapsed: BCS (2/3/2+ once upon a time...not that now!)
Future: Italian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:52 pm

I stopped loving Duolingo when I thought I'd go through the Russian tree as a refresher. Can't remember exactly (and can't login for some reason now from my work computer), but it had something to do with the Cyrillic translations.

Then when Navajo came out, I went in and tried it, but no audio. Why even have a course if you're not going to have audio?!
2 x
For a non-linguistic look at my life, check out my blog!

SC Esperanto films : 24 / 100
SC Esperanto books : 18 / 100
2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 21 / 365

Lianne
White Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Has dabbled in: Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish, Klingon, ASL, toki pona
Wants to one day learn: Swedish, others, all of the above
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=127744

Postby Lianne » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:38 pm

I find the concerns about "offensive sentences" kind of funny. I'm redoing Pimsleur French 1 right now and am struck by how many of the conversations involve a woman saying no and a man harassing her in response. But Duolingo's "My gender is not important." is offensive? :lol:

I like Duolingo. But my experience with it is mainly with French (the only skill tree I've completed), and I went into it not being a real beginner. Since they switched to the crown system, I'm still working on building up all the skills, as I still find it to be a useful review. I've also found the discussions to be really useful in the French tree; there are several mods who are active and answer questions with very detailed explanations.

IronMike wrote:Then when Navajo came out, I went in and tried it, but no audio. Why even have a course if you're not going to have audio?!

That's the problem I have with the Klingon course!! I was SO excited for it to come out. Then it did, and there's no audio. Klingon pronunciation can be very tricky, and I find it really hard to remember the words without having heard them. I hope they add it eventually.
7 x
: 21 / 365 365 Day French Challenge
: 0 / 100 French Super Challenge Books
: 8 / 100 French Super Challenge Movies

lavengro
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2), Spanish (A1), Italian (non parlo italiano, yet); Judoon (on deck - see link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtdoPUQimJg)

Postby lavengro » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Lianne wrote:I find the concerns about "offensive sentences" kind of funny. I'm redoing Pimsleur French 1 right now and am struck by how many of the conversations involve a woman saying no and a man harassing her in response. But Duolingo's "My gender is not important." is offensive? :lol:

I like Duolingo. But my experience with it is mainly with French (the only skill tree I've completed), and I went into it not being a real beginner. Since they switched to the crown system, I'm still working on building up all the skills, as I still find it to be a useful review. I've also found the discussions to be really useful in the French tree; there are several mods who are active and answer questions with very detailed explanations.....

Agreed. I find the comments section, across a few of the Duolingo language offerings, to be really useful.

If the sentence had read "Gender is not important," that would be an entirely different matter. There are plenty of legitimate contexts where "My gender is not important" would be appropriate (although it would be a factually wrong thing to say if applied to motor vehicle liability insurance applications. 'Cause ladies are really bad drivers. Am I right fellows?). Desperately looking for the joking font setting.....

0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”