Modern Greek Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
embici
White Belt
Languages: English (N) French (B2) Spanish (C1) Greek (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5175

Re: Modern Greek Study Group

Postby embici » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:35 pm

A source of Greek content that some might find helpful is the following YouTube playlist by the Greek TV network, ERT. It is called
Μαθαίνουμε στο Σπίτι (We learn at home). It includes videos of Greek school teachers teaching different subjects at all grade levels.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgeq7ezNgWe94VavlcE6HC0k8RVanZWPe
4 x

nooj
Blue Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:43 am

Does anyone know of a Greek TV show with Greek subtitles? The ones I've found on YouTube so far only have English subtitles.
0 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; active: ita B2-C1, fra B2+, ell B1-2, ísl B1, ara A0; inactive: deu B1-2, spa A1-2?, swe A1?
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:13 pm

nooj wrote:Does anyone know of a Greek TV show with Greek subtitles? The ones I've found on YouTube so far only have English subtitles.

I'd be very interested in this too, if anyone knows of one.
0 x
Corrections welcome here

Iversen
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:00 am

embici wrote:A source of Greek content that some might find helpful is the following YouTube playlist by the Greek TV network, ERT.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgeq7ezNgWe94VavlcE6HC0k8RVanZWPe

I wonder whether the series was made for use by real school kids during the corona pandemy, but whatever the reason: I have so far only listened to part of one lesson, but it was spoken very clearly and not too fast - no histrionics there.

I have been given Greek special attention for a week now, and a few hours of listening to something like this will definitely be beneficial - until now my Greek has been almost exclusively based on the written language. If the rest of the lectures are as easy to listen to listen to as the first one then I'll definitely use this source during the upcoming week.

OK, no subtitles, but I can live without them.
2 x

Sunday
Languages: Italian (N), English (C1), French (A2), Greek (beginner)

Postby Sunday » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:35 pm

nooj wrote:Does anyone know of a Greek TV show with Greek subtitles? The ones I've found on YouTube so far only have English subtitles.

For some reasons I also find it very difficult to find original greek material with greek subtitles. You can find something, but it definitely looks like much less compared to other languages.. I understand that not a lot of foreigners are probably studying the language, but I wonder how people with hearing disabilities manage within the country.

In any case, to your point, there is a very famous greek series from the 90' called Sto para pente you can find on you tube. A user has added greek subs for a few episodes of the first series:
https://youtu.be/WjHRkyp0X4w
I remember that some of the comments of the videos were thanking the user for uploading the subs, so finally also who cannot hear can enjoy such a famous show and not be left out (as if also the DVDs and supports did not have greek subs).

I think sto para pente is quite a difficult one to follow - very fast and a lot of slang & specific references to cultural aspects. Not sure about your level but I did find it difficult.

a more accessible one would be το σόι σου (so I have been told) but I could not find any sub. Alphatv.gr has plenty of other original greek series available for free online but, guess what, no subs - which is a pity!
0 x

nooj
Blue Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:45 pm

but I wonder how people with hearing disabilities manage within the country.

I asked some Greek people and they say that there are often subtitles for Deaf people in Greece on TV shows when they are transmitted but that they are not made available for public use.
0 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Return to “Study Groups”