Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
Jarndyce
Languages: English (N), German (A2), Spanish / French (vague high school memories)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Jarndyce » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi, I'm a 31-year-old American woman who recently started taking German night classes for fun. I'm also very very slowly translating my way through Im Westen nichts Neues with the help of a dictionary, because I am not patient enough to wait until my German is better. On that note, if anyone understands what "Speckjäger" (bacon hunter???) means, I'd love to hear from you! My goal is to hit C2 by age 40, which should hopefully lessen the pain of that birthday. :)
6 x

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:37 am

Jarndyce wrote:Hi, I'm a 31-year-old American woman who recently started taking German night classes for fun. I'm also very very slowly translating my way through Im Westen nichts Neues with the help of a dictionary, because I am not patient enough to wait until my German is better. On that note, if anyone understands what "Speckjäger" (bacon hunter???) means, I'd love to hear from you! My goal is to hit C2 by age 40, which should hopefully lessen the pain of that birthday. :)

Welcome to the forum. I remember Im Westen nichts Neues from school. It's certainly a challenging read, regarding the subject matter as well as the language. Speckjäger is an archaic word for a vagrant. I think it's a colloquial term, so maybe hobo or tramp would be a good translation. If you have any more question, I'd be glad to help and there also several other German native speakers on this forum. Good luck with your German. :)
2 x
Corrections are welcome!

Sarchta
Languages: Polish (N), English (B1), German (A2), Esperanto (beginner)

Postby Sarchta » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:07 am

Hello,

I've been scrolling through this site for a past few days and I decided to start writing. My name is Walenty, I'm 18 years old and I come from Poland. Education in Poland is clearly not enough to learn a language let alone two languages, and so I wanted to practice more. I think this forum will help me with my English and may give me some nice ideas about language learning as well. Besides English I'm studying German and Esperanto. If you have any questions about Polish, fell free to PM me. I'm more than happy to help you.
4 x
Corrections are welcome :)

Baeticus
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C1), French (beginner)

Postby Baeticus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm an undergraduate student from Spain. Learning languages means to me an opportunity to open a window into other people's points of view and other culture's ways of life. I became passionate about learning languages a year and a half ago, when I started to study English. After getting the basics and acquiring some fluency, I've decided to start with another one (probably French, though I've my doubts yet).

I'm sure I will learn a lot from all of you.

Regards!
2 x

zed
Languages: english (n), latin (beginner), greek (beginner)

Postby zed » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:04 pm

hello

i love languages and tattoos. i am from canada and am interested in learning icelandic, russian, latin and greek. i joined hoping to get some advice on the greek language and whether a couple of phrases i would like to get as tattoos are correct but am having trouble posting. hope to get to post soon and talk and learn from you all!
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”