Italian + Polish with comprehensible input

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Green Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Italian + Polish with comprehensible input

Postby cjareck » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:22 am

I watch a few episodes of "Kasia i Tomek", and it was quite funny. The other one may be "Miodowe lata".
(edit)
You asked about sitcoms, but I simply cannot live without recommending this to you "Rejs" :) This is rather for advanced level, but one of the best scenes is with quite limited vocabulary:

The film as a whole you may see here:

The film is a living legend - > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruise_(1970_film). I watched it - 20 times or so. I knew it almost by heart when I was younger, and even now I can quote some interesting fragments ;)
It was one of "półkownik" film - a game of words - "pułkownik" is a colonel (both sounds the same), "półka" is a shelf. So such films waited on the shelves to be accepted by censorship.
3 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

FSI Hebrew Basic Course
: 32 / 40

DLI MSA Basic Course
: 9 / 140

StringerBell
Green Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian: ~ C1 reading/listening and ? speaking
Polish : ~ B1

Postby StringerBell » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Even though I requested sitcoms, I'm open to suggestions of any genre. I will definitely check out that movie!
1 x
Polish goal: 2,000 hours : 1218 / 2000
Italian Output Chal. 50,000 words : 0 / 50000
Italian Output Chal. 50 hrs : 0 / 50
Polish Output Chal. 50,000 words : 9800 / 50000
Polish Output Chal. 50 hrs : 0 / 50

cjareck
Green Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)

Postby cjareck » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:59 pm

StringerBell wrote:Even though I requested sitcoms, I'm open to suggestions of any genre. I will definitely check out that movie!

If you need any explanations or translations, just let me know, and I will gladly help you. Besides this film starts in my hometown :) Somewhere in the beginning man asks where is the city centre. The sailor points out the second side of the river. In reality, they have it 100 m behind them :)
1 x

FSI Hebrew Basic Course

DLI MSA Basic Course

StringerBell
Green Belt

Postby StringerBell » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Thank you, @cjareck, I may take you up on that offer of help if I get stuck!

I am excited to have this movie to watch. I recently realized that I'm not watching any TV/movies or listening to any music in Polish. I think it's time to do this. Part of me is a little nervous that it will be over my head, but I'm realizing that I understand way more than I give myself credit for.

I've been on a hunt for some good Polish music and so far I've found one song that I really like: "Cicho" by Ewa Farna. There doesn't seem to be an official video, but on youtube I found the song with the lyrics, which was very helpful. I learned a few fun phrases. I bought the song through iTunes so I can listen to it a million times and get sick of it!

Last edited by StringerBell on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
0 x

cjareck
Green Belt

Postby cjareck » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 pm

I do not listen to contemporary music, so I can not help you in that matter. But if you wish to hear some old Polish patriotic and/or religious songs, just let me know ;)
1 x

FSI Hebrew Basic Course

DLI MSA Basic Course

StringerBell
Green Belt

Postby StringerBell » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:32 pm

I wanted to take a moment to share some really cool videos that I've been using for a while on Youtube. I believe similar types of videos are available in many languages. They are short (4-5 minutes) and have real-time drawings of the concepts the narrator is explaining. It seems especially easy to find channels like this for science concepts, personal growth, and book reviews, but I bet that they exist for other topics.

I click the "CC" button to get auto generated subtitles, which seem to be very accurate. Today I copied all the text for the 5 minute Polish video I linked and looked up any unfamiliar words. I surprised myself by how much I knew and how well I understood. I also learned some fun phrases (which hopefully I understood correctly) like "kanapowcem" (couch potato) and "sprowadza się" (it boils down to / it comes down to)

I love videos like these because (1) they are really easy to follow even if I'm missing words because the illustrations explain visually what the narrator is describing, (2) they are really interesting, (3) they are short, yet I can do a lot with them, and (4) it's a good way to get used to the fast pace of native speech and pick up a lot of useful vocab. I even watch a channel like this in my native language (FightMediocrity, video at bottom)

Here are some of the ones I've been using:

POLISH:
Channel is called: Nieprzeciętne Życie

ITALIAN:
Channel is called: MinutiDellaTerra

ITALIAN:
Channel is called: SCIENZIATI subito

ENGLISH:
Channel is called: FightMediocrity
2 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Lower-Intermediate)
German (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7606

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:09 am

StringerBell wrote:
Another thing I would suggest is to prioritize reading shorter stuff like informal articles vs. books. The benefits of this are:

(1) They are shorter, so there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, and finishing an article gives a sense of accomplishment as opposed to a never-ending book,

(2) The language tends to be more straight-forward and more practical, they tend to be written more like how people speak rather than books, which use a lot of literary language. I’m noticing that a lot of vocab and expressions I’m learning from articles are popping up in podcasts.

If you have a hard time finding a good source of articles on topics you’re interested in, you can try searching the Spanish WikiHow for How--To articles on something you are interested in or already know how to do (like how to get rid of a wasp nest, how to light a fire, how to train a dog, etc...). Even reading through twitter feeds, instagram posts, etc… is really useful because people tend to write those the way they speak. After reading this kind of stuff for a while, I think the books will become a lot easier.

When I first started reading articles, it was really challenging and it would take me a good hour to get through one. After a few weeks of reading these daily I can now blow through one in about 10 minutes, even with stopping to look up + copy+paste the occasional new expression into my list. So there is a real sense that I’ve made measurable improvements.

I really needed to read this. I wanted to move onto a young adult novel in the coming weeks but I read the opening chapter and in the very first sentence the dreaded imperfect subjunctive was used lol. I came across a few grammar constructions that I spent too much time 1) deciphering the sentences and 2) translating to English. This stresses me out more than it should because technically I am on a break from active studies :lol:

I have tons of informal material to read in Spanish, I guess I should just make a habit of reading them lol As soon as I finish the manga I am reading now, I'll try to read an article a day + a few tweets from the personalities I follow (because I swear I learn 10 new things a day on Twitter haha) and bump it up as I get more comfortable. The novel can wait.
Thanks, StringerBell

Oh and Polish is on my bucketlist, so it's nice to see someone studying the language and to have someone through whom I can live vicariously :lol: Good luck with your studies!
1 x

garyb
Brown Belt
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: Greek
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 am

Jaleel10 wrote:I really needed to read this. I wanted to move onto a young adult novel in the coming weeks but I read the opening chapter and in the very first sentence the dreaded imperfect subjunctive was used lol.

The imperfect subjunctive in Spanish and Italian is very much everyday language, so if it seems "dreaded" that's perhaps a hole in your knowledge of the basics that needs to be plugged. Spanish does have the second form (-ase etc.) that's less common in speech so might seem a bit scary when you encounter it, but it's still heard in daily speech (in Spain at least) and the two forms are grammatically equivalent.

I read novels because I enjoy them, but I do often think they're not the best resource for an intermediate learner and I might be wasting time with them when more "practical" material like articles can be better. It also depends on the book: dialogue is more useful than narration, and simple narration is more useful than very descriptive language, and some books are heavier on one than the others.
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Lower-Intermediate)
German (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7606

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 am

garyb wrote:The imperfect subjunctive in Spanish and Italian is very much everyday language, so if it seems "dreaded" that's perhaps a hole in your knowledge of the basics that needs to be plugged. Spanish does have the second form (-ase etc.) that's less common in speech so might seem a bit scary when you encounter it, but it's still heard in daily speech (in Spain at least) and the two forms are grammatically equivalent.

I read novels because I enjoy them, but I do often think they're not the best resource for an intermediate learner and I might be wasting time with them when more "practical" material like articles can be better. It also depends on the book: dialogue is more useful than narration, and simple narration is more useful than very descriptive language, and some books are heavier on one than the others.

I might have been a bit over dramatic haha, it's more of a case that I have to think about why and how it's used - each time! Same with the past tenses. I understand their rules, I just need to see it more in context :oops: Oh and according to the Cervantes curriculum, Past Subjunctive is B2 Spanish so I don't feel too bad ;)

I think my problem could also stem from the fact that I was never a big reader, I never liked it. This might sound weird on a forum with a bunch of language learners, but not counting school, I have only ever read TWO novels in my life. It's only last year when I began to try and develop better daily habits that I started reading. It's something that never appealed to me in Afrikaans or English so it's hard finding the motivation to do it Spanish :lol: I have developed a good habit with my daily reading (in my native languages) so I am sure I will eventually develop it for Spanish as well.
1 x

StringerBell
Green Belt

Postby StringerBell » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:Oh and Polish is on my bucketlist, so it's nice to see someone studying the language and to have someone through whom I can live vicariously.

Do you mind if I ask why Polish is on your bucket list? It seems like not many people choose to study this language (perhaps because it has a reputation for being so difficult) and most who do have some connection to it, as in their family came from Poland at some point or they moved to Poland, are dating a Polish person, etc... It's exciting to run into other people who have a desire to learn this language!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”