Would achieving B2 in French be possible without traveling to the country?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kevin
Languages: English (N) French (beginner) Spanish (beginner)

Re: Would achieving B2 in French be possible without traveling to the country?

Postby Kevin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:07 pm

Excellent article! Will be sure to give it a full read soon.

Thanks again everyone for the helpful advice.
1 x

Lawyer&Mom
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1), Norwegian (A1), Russian (beginner)

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Of course you can. I think the focus on in-country immersion is from the pre-internet days, when it was difficult to access native content. And you need native content to get to B2. Coursebooks can only take you so far.

Today, with podcasts and streaming TV, I can easily get as much native French content as I want. More than enough to replicate living abroad. Because let’s be honest, even when I was a student in Germany I probably only listened to three or four solid hours of German a day, and that was enough to get me to B2.

The hardest part will be getting enough speaking practice. But yes, it can be done.
4 x

Adrianslont
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Cavesa wrote:
Kevin wrote:I do have several resources. Pimsleur, Assimil (both with ease and using), Teach Yourself, and FSI. I am thinking of completing Pimsleur and Assimil with ease before I dive into native materials and practice with people in person and online. But other than the resources I listed, I cannot say I know the optimal plan to achieve B2.

Try searching the forum a bit. There have been lots and lots of posts about this.
You might be especially interested in posts by PeterMollenburg, emk, Skynet, or others from the French learning group.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =26&t=1575

Truth be told, I have posted a list of my favourite resources so many times I can't even procrastinate like this anymore :-D So, I'll leave it to others or your searching, no offence meant.

Kevin, our fellow member smallwhite uses what I think is a very easy to adopt, practical, straighforward approach. She doesn’t keep a log but if you put her name in the search function and the terms “chinesepod” and “method” you will get half a dozen posts that detail her approach.

Of course here are many members that have much to offer - and I think it’s a good idea to look around the forum - but you need to devote lots of time to actually learning french!
6 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”