French Comprehension - Almost There?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
garyb
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (advanced), Italian (advanced)
Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Re: French Comprehension - Almost There?

Postby garyb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:57 am

I hate to say it, but listening comprehension is something that always feels "almost there"! It's normal to think you pretty much understand everything, only to be thrown by a particular film or a fast conversation between natives or a regional accent and then realise you still have a long way to go. That's just life... Sounds like you're doing great though if you're picking out colloquial expressions from a series, so I'd just say keep up the work and consider the wise advice in the other replies.

TV series aren't always easier than films: many modern comedy films and most films from more than a couple of decades ago are far easier to follow than Braquo or Engrenages for example, and I'm saying this even after having watched all six seasons of the latter. As a generalisation it works, especially if you consider it by genre (gritty crime films can be even more challenging), and series do have the advantage of being longer.
2 x

issemiyaki
Orange Belt

Re: French Comprehension - Almost There?

Postby issemiyaki » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Everyone, I can't thank you enough for the outpouring of support.

I'm going to take your advice and attack it some more.

I'm also working with an Italki tutor on listening comprehension and pronunciation.

I feel like I'm moving forward now.

Thanks a million. Hopefully the tips here will help others.
5 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”