nothing serious here

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Russian (B1), Spanish (A2).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: nothing serious here

Postby MamaPata » Thu May 17, 2018 3:26 pm

I completely understand how you feel, both failing the exam and finding it difficult to care any more. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, taking a break, singing, etc. It's just really miserable sometimes. Much sympathy!
2 x
Russian Output Challenge: 130 / 25000

Cavesa
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (beginner)

Postby Cavesa » Fri May 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Thank you, Mamapata!

Curiously, I did unexpectedly well in my singing class yesterday. It was probably the "jumping progress" I've mentioned in another thread. We started with a very hard (at least for me) modern thing by a Czech author, which is very beautiful but so complicated to learn and the Czech lyrics are not exactly helping. I really prefer to sing in Italian! And we reopened a thing we haven't touched for two months (a beautiful Mozart aria) and obviously work on the other things has helped this one too. We'll be trying some pop and musical soon too, and I am really excited about it, but I don't want to ever leave the classics either. I was told I was an exception. Anyone has a tip on good popular music female singers in German? Middle voice, please, or a bit lower but not an extreme. I know some great ones for my other languages but German is really a challenge :-D Or a good musical in German?

Learning music is a lot like learning languages. Not because of the theories of people with talent music also having talent for languages. I dislike theories like this. Firstly, it is very hard to prove stuff like that, which is highly influenced by motivation, education, IQ, tons of genetics and epigenetics, health conditions, teachers encountered, and a lot of other factors. Secondly, people claiming these things (I've even heard a theory about the talent for languages and math being closely connected,) unintentionally divide the human kind in just two groups. Those with a talent for everything and those with no talent at all :-D That is fortunately absolute nonsense. But learning to play an instrument or sing is a lot like language learning (and we'd surely find parallels with other things too). For example, working on just a few areas can strengthen the temporarily abandoned one. And in both cases, you have to put in a lot of time and efforts, just to have people telling you "oh, you're so lucky, I'd love to have a talent like that!" :-D

I obviously progress in "jumps" in everything. I could do with a few such jumps in my other areas of interest now :-D Such as my main studies.

I've just returned to seriously learning Spanish (as I wrote in the first post here). I've just finished the textbook part of lesson 1 in Método, with the exercise book part left. And I did a few exercises in Cvičebnice (an awesome thick book with exercises, many of them translation based). I am sooooo rusty!!! My past tenses are wobbly again. My vocabulary is gone! It feels horrible, having to painfully drag lots of supposedly obvious words out of my memory. It will come back fast, I hope. It's high time I returned to Spanish. I need some tv series, that should help, it usually does.
6 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (beginner)

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 21, 2018 10:35 pm

A few Spanish grammar exercises, almost no digital playing for my German "learning".

Aaand I got stuck in that Spanish thriller. Why? It slowed down and went to stuff not too relevant to the main story (well, that will perhaps show to be important later, but right now it is just annoying), and the main qualities are not there. The sarcastic main protagonist and his mysterious complices in crime are there much less. Instead, there are some policemen hunting the basque terrorists. The late delivery fee is becoming astronomical. But I want to finish this. And I'll stop the library use again, except for some learning stuff I'll be sure to return early enough. They don't have that much interesting literature for me anyways. It looks like they are approaching the book choosing in the typical way "language learners are people focused on humanities and therefore high literature". Books like crime novels are a tiny minority, from what I've seen. Among the magazines, there is not a single popular science one. And the digital library, which I hoped to be great, turned out to be quite a disappointment. Not practical to search in at all. Perhaps there are some good books in there. But they are well hidden.

Oh and I am procrastinating again but I must not.

And I would love to attend the Gathering! And to meet many of the forum members in person! Too bad the date is at the end of the academic year here. At the worst time of the year.

If I happen to win a huuuuge lottery at some point in my life, I will found a huge digital library, accessible worldwide, with tons of awesome books of both the high and low genres!
3 x

Return to “Language logs”