¡No Manches! - A new beginning...

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
NoManches
Green Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +/-
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Re: ¡No Manches! - A new beginning...

Postby NoManches » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:33 am

I'm very happy with my current level of Spanish. I'm not satisfied, but I'm happy with where I currently am and the direction I'm heading in. Sometimes I am really hard on myself, and a bit of a perfectionist. When it comes to learning languages, you definitely can't be hard on yourself and it is almost impossible to be a perfectionist. Sometimes I need to stop and remind myself of this.

I'm so happy that I've reached a level where I can just talk, watch TV, and read, in order to make improvements. That being said, I did buy myself the Complete Spanish Grammar book by McGraw Hill. I have noticed that I am making some small mistakes on things that I used to not make mistakes with. Hopefully a few review lessons in this grammar book will fix my problems. I continue to watch my favorite novela (Por Amar Sin Ley) almost every day. Usually I can squeeze in a few episodes every day. I'm on episode 53/80 and hope to be caught up this time next week. I have added a few other novelas to my watch list on Netflix. I will try to work my way though another Mexican novela and then I'll start adding some stuff with different accents. I've found a few shows from Spain and Argentina that look really good.

For reading, I'll probably finish La Caída de una Diva by Raul Garbantes tonight. I like how his books are crime/mystery, relatively short, and fairly easy to read. I'm trying to tackle an old goal of mine where I read all of his books. That should catapult my Spanish a little bit. I'm still working on la Tumba and Pedro Páramo. I really hate having multiple books going at once. I need to finish all of the books I'm on before I start a new one. I keep reading articles from Muy Interesante every day. If I only have my phone I try to read articles from Chilango Magazine since I subscribe to them on Facebook and have "notifications" turned on. They used to have a cool podcast but it looks like they stopped making it.

My listening is getting better all the time. The only thing different I've done is I've started to read a lot more and I found a good telenovela where my comprehension from the beginning was an estimated 95%. Before I had a bad habit of picking material that was too tough. I remember working with El Señor de los Cielos for a LONG time before I reached a comprehension level of near 95%. I think TV shows are more beneficial when you can just sit back and watch. The more you have to pause and look things up the more it feels like a chore and the less you get from it.

Im looking forward to my (almost daily) runs just because I associate it with extra Spanish practice. I think I'll start running a little more just so I can get more Spanish listening in. I'm listening to the Nacidos para Correr audiolibro every time I run (I finished reading the book about a week ago). My daily listening is usually an audiobook or a random podcast. I think I'll get back to listening to VOA -Buenos Días América. I love the news and find it important but for some reason I wasn't too interested in VOA noticias. I just think that some of their topics weren't too important to me (they would be the sections in a newspaper that I would skip over). But, more of the show is interesting than boring and the same speakers are on almost every day. I think I'll try to make VOA noticias a habit just so I can have at least one consistent piece of audio every day in order to "train listening" (something we've talked about before). My other podcasts are very random with lots of different daily speakers, which means I usually need a few minutes to get used to the new speaker before I can really start enjoying it.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading!
11 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 2060 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 1175 / 10000

Andy E
Yellow Belt
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001

Re: ¡No Manches! - A new beginning...

Postby Andy E » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am

NoManches wrote:For reading, I'll probably finish La Caída de una Diva by Raul Garbantes tonight. I like how his books are crime/mystery, relatively short, and fairly easy to read. I'm trying to tackle an old goal of mine where I read all of his books. That should catapult my Spanish a little bit.

That sounds like a good recommendation thinks me...... only to find I've already got it in my Kindle library :roll: - but as yet unread
1 x

Return to “Language logs”