PM’s French Adventures in the Matrix

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Gustav Aschenbach
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Re: PM’s French Adventures in the Matrix

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:60 connecteurs pour l’écrit et plus de 70 pour l’oral

T'inquiète, ça fera l'affaire... T'es parfaitement préparé.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:04 am

Well, yesterday I sat the C2 DALF exam.

My lead up, as I’d already said, was less than ideal. Numerous challenges going on around me, and when I had some time, I felt I needed to do nothing. Nonetheless, my preparation was not zero. I managed to get some done here and there and two days before I did a complete practice exam as best I could and had my ‘go to italki teacher’ check over my written material. I also had a couple of last minute italki sessions with her to discuss the situation and do a brief run through of the audio/oral component.

Needless to say, my prac exam wasn’t perfect. I ran out of time with the written part so deliberately didn’t correct my own work, as the reality was I’d reach the time limit. Thus, a number of silly mistakes were found, but all in all not a bad job when it came down to it.

Unfortunately, despite learning the lesson, the same thing happened in the real exam. I ran out of time. I read the articles through a few times, I planned and reworked my plan, began the written section with 90 minutes remaining, but I just couldn’t seem to push myself to write that quickly.

Then suddenly there was only 30 minutes left, then twenty, then shit I’m running out of time! So, The first 2/3 of my written piece, I knew my word count, I took my time developing each paragraph etc. The last 1/3 though, although I had the ideas in my mind, I had to rush, didn’t do the word count and in the end had zero time to re-read my whole writing piece. Still, I was able to roughly calculate my word count and should’ve been pretty close to on the money of 700 words.

Oh and the subject was regarding stress. I had to write an article on the stresses of modern life for a well-being magazine and discuss how, regardless of the level of stress we can be under, we have the ability to overcome it. I couldn’t complain about the topic, it wasn’t too difficult and I had some personal ideas I could draw on as well.

The listening/oral component was mixed. I had trouble with catching names and particular figures, I think because I was nervous. I didn’t like the audio in terms of it being a small stereo in a corner echoing a little off the walls.

The audio actually had problems playing at one point and the examiner had left the room as I was the only C2 candidate. I wondered if it was the computer it was linked to updating and causing the audio to stop start or it was part of the expectation of C2 level. I opened the door and yelled out the examiner’s name. She didn’t come, I got on with it, and it stopped playing up. At that portion of the audio I also found the quality difficult to hear what was being said. This I knew was deliberate. Next listen there was no stopping and starting, and I caught next to zero again in the same section of audio lasting for around a 45 seconds at a guess. I figured if I couldn’t catch it this time, I was not at a disadvantage the first listen when it was stopping and starting.

So my compte rendu was not perfect with bits of information basically missing. Again I struggled with the time preparing in writing for my oral component. I did okay-ish but I’m not certain of the accuracy of certain things. Also, they asked me for further clarification on a couple of facts/figures after completing the compte rendu and I just couldn’t provide it as I hadn’t caught that info. I guess they were giving me a chance to score a little higher, but when I didn’t provide the info they didn’t seemed shocked, we just moved on to the next part.

I was lucky with the theme though, as it was about homeschooling in France and whether or not it should even be allowed. Thus, the audio that it was based on was like a radio talk show where a few experts spoke and several call-ins with their own experiences with homeschooling and unschooling.

The second oral component was based around me taking a stance on why I homeschool my child. Perfect! My wife and I actually do this. So the oral component went seemingly okay.

the third oral component was basically two examiners asking me questions (a debate) based on the previous section (me homeschooling my child). Again, I had plenty of personal stuff to draw on here and I knew the situation in France somewhat as I’d researched it a tad.

So the audio/oral component was mixed. Great topic, didn’t catch the info of the initial audio recording (15 minutes long, 2 listens), but I had plenty of personal info to draw on. My ‘unfortunately’ in this section would be that I stumbled with words occasionally being nervous and also being nervous I think my use of connectors could’ve been better.

All in all, yesterday I felt somewhat positive. Today perhaps not us much. I’m expecting to pass, but not by a large margin. I’d love in the 70% range or more (my B1 from memory was high 70s, my B2 low 80s), but I’m expecting 50s to 60s range. Glad it’s done though, so glad. Fingers crossed!
34 x

AlOlaf
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), German
Learns: Danish, Norwegian

Postby AlOlaf » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:56 am

My fingers are crossed, too!
1 x
Corrections welcome!

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: native: en
advanced: de
intermediate: es, fr, haw, hwc, nzs, ru
basic: ase, egy, fil, ga, ja, jam, la, sco, sv, tok
wish list: fa, hi, hsl, sw, tu, zu
Language Log: https://teango.wordpress.com/

Postby Teango » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:05 am

It's been an epic and captivating adventure to this point, and I hope you defeat this end level boss and pass with flying tricolores. Bonne chance Pete, je croise aussi les doigts pour toi! The Teango clan are rooting for you.
3 x

Gustav Aschenbach
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:04 am

Moi aussi je te tiens les pouces ;)
1 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int), ASL (beg)
Wish list: Swedish, Italian, Esperanto, Klingon
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona, Swahili
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=127744

Postby Lianne » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:21 pm

When I hear descriptions like this of these exams, I feel certain I couldn't pass one in English, let alone a foreign language. :shock:
10 x
: 345 / 365 365 Day French Challenge
: 35 / 50 French Super Challenge Books (HALF)
: 68 / 100 French Super Challenge Movies (FULL)

: 3 / 15 ASL 101

Lawyer&Mom
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:59 pm

I’m so proud of you for just going for it and sitting the C2! What an accomplishment to be prepared for the exam, regardless of outcome. Very impressive!
4 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:24 pm

I've benn following your journey since way back on HTLAL. Now, here you are having sat the C2 exam for French! Regardless of the results, you have come a long way, worked hard and shown great dedication. Speaking of the results. how long will you (we) have to wait to get them?
10 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:48 pm

iguanamon wrote:I've benn following your journey since way back on HTLAL. Now, here you are having sat the C2 exam for French! Regardless of the results, you have come a long way, worked hard and shown great dedication. Speaking of the results. how long will you (we) have to wait to get them?

Last night I had a bit of a look back on my journey, and went back to some of my initial posts on HTLAL. Although my log started there at the beginning of 2014, I found further posts from myself in August 2013, (here if curious: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36697&PN=1). You were the first one to reply, iguanamon, to that early thread.

My self study language learning journey really started in 1997 or 1998, perhaps even earlier when I dabbled in some German resources while in high school. However, the serious get down to business French journey started at the beginning of 2014, just after I found HTLAL.

You’ve always been patient and supportive with me and I really appreciate the support you have given over this journey, iguanamon. That’s something. I mean, I’ve really raised some eyebrows and pissed some people off here, and I don’t deny they have had every right to be annoyed - I often say I value diversity, this includes opinions and personalities even with those I got into some serious disagreements with. Cavesa was one, but she has also given some awesome advice right from the beginning (a couple of posts after you) and stuck around.

It takes a certain kind of person to stick around even though at times I’m certain I’ve said many many things you do not agree with at all, iguanamon. Thank you for being there in the beginning and continuing to follow my journey even when others couldn’t or didn’t want to (because I would discuss controversial topics that were less and less tolerated and off limits per the forum rules and quite often whether right or wrong, I made myself look rather ridiculous.). Thank you for all your feedback. I think if you added up all the times you posted in my log, it would be scary how much time you spent on helping me.

You’re not alone, though. Many others have joined my journey and assisted me. Others were there in the beginning and have been following loosely or closely up to this point as well. Many disappeared, perhaps have new names on this forum, some outpaced my rate of French learning others stopped learning, changed languages or stopped and started again.

So, I’d like to accept this award on behalf of... I feel like I’m really building this up. Whether I have reached C2 (i.e. passed or not), I do not believe I would’ve done as well as I have without this forum and HTLAL both with all the awesome members with loads of excellent advice and encouragement.

Thank you everyone!

I think I read somewhere I would find out my result two weeks after the exam via email. Whether it will be exactly two weeks or not, who knows, but that would make it the 25th of November. The day we are moving house (and after my last night shift). Again, fingers, toes, eyes, legs, noses :) - crossed.

And to those who have recently posted above, thanks for the kind messages of encouragement, peoples, I truly appreciate it. To those simply following along (and not commenting) and wishing me well, thank you as well. I hope you are all making progress on your respective language learning journeys as well.
22 x

Carmody
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:43 pm

Peter.
Congratulations on this most recent accomplishment: well done!
Thanks as always for sharing your journey along the way. I am especially grateful to learn how long it is that you have been studying French; it gives me great incentive to persevere with my studies for the long haul!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”