Morgana's Swedish log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1), dabbling in others

Re: Morgana's log

Postby eido » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:28 pm

This reminded me of you, because of how you worded the beginning of the last post.
1 x

Morgana
Green Belt
Languages: en (N), sv

Postby Morgana » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:29 pm

eido wrote:

This reminded me of you, because of how you worded the beginning of the last post.
I'm not even sure how to take this but I laughed regardless :lol:
0 x
Swedish to 1000 hours: 808 / 1000

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1), dabbling in others

Postby eido » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:32 pm

Morgana wrote:I'm not even sure how to take this but I laughed regardless :lol:

I didn't mean it to offend you. It just sounded similar because of the words you used. I know I feel like 'a piece of garbage' when I have wanderlust, so maybe it might relate that way too. I don't know, though. Just don't eat me.
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch;
Some: Greek;
Studying: Turkish, Portuguese (6wc).

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:49 am

Morgana wrote:
If you mean that "O" in Swedish can make one of 4 sounds, I agree it is more complicated. And if that's not what you meant, is it brief to explain what you did mean? (If it's not brief, don't feel obligated to explain.)

If I remember correctly, the correspondence is the simplest between Ö and /øː/ and /œ/ --- Ö is pronounced either /øː/ or /œ/ and nothing else, while /øː/ and /œ/ are only ever spelt with Ö. While it's more complicated both ways with O, /o:/ and /ɔ/. (I might have remembered incorrectly but anyway that's what I meant by the latter being more complicated).
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

The real LLorg

Morgana
Green Belt

Postby Morgana » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:58 am

smallwhite wrote:
Morgana wrote:
If you mean that "O" in Swedish can make one of 4 sounds, I agree it is more complicated. And if that's not what you meant, is it brief to explain what you did mean? (If it's not brief, don't feel obligated to explain.)

If I remember correctly, the correspondence is the simplest between Ö and /øː/ and /œ/ --- Ö is pronounced either /øː/ or /œ/ and nothing else, while /øː/ and /œ/ are only ever spelt with Ö. While it's more complicated both ways with O, /o:/ and /ɔ/. (I might have remembered incorrectly but anyway that's what I meant by the latter being more complicated).

Yeah, you got it! What you describe with O is my trip-up - noticing when it’s Å’s (/o:/ and /ɔ/) phonemes and when it’s its own (/u/ and /ʊ/). Said differently, sometimes /o:/ and /ɔ/ are spelled with O, sometimes they are spelled with Å. I’m so relieved this is what you meant, I was worried maybe there was something even worse I missed :lol:
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch;
Some: Greek;
Studying: Turkish, Portuguese (6wc).

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:40 am

Morgana wrote:I’m so relieved this is what you meant, I was worried maybe there was something even worse I missed :lol:

You've made me want to revise Swedish pronunciation. Let's see if I find anything even worse... ;) :?
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

The real LLorg

Morgana
Green Belt

Postby Morgana » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 am

Getting myself organized. The weekend was mostly a bust for getting things done, but on the plus side I got more than nothing done and I’m going to take whatever small successes I get :)

For the coming week, I’d like to:
  • read 50 pages of Odinsbarn
  • stay on pace with the audiobook
  • read Mio, min Mio (I already started this today)
  • finish unit 3 of Colloquial Icelandic
  • do my Anki reviews everyday
  • watch The Oath (Icelandic film)
  • do 10 exercises from Form i fokus A
  • read the updated paper on chorusing with Audacity by Kjellin
  • read the entire Swedish phonology page on Wikipedia again, and fill out any gaps in my existing notes
I don’t know if this is too much to plan on but my purpose with this list is to give myself something to aim for, regardless of if I get every item done.
3 x

Morgana
Green Belt

Postby Morgana » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:18 am

I really hate when I make weekly (or otherwise) goals... :roll: I know better.

Anki is capped at 200 reviews/day. I'm forcing the Swedish deck to come down. I haven't added new words in probably at least two weeks and still the reviews near 300 per day some days. Forget that. I hate going slow but I hate using Anki more, and I can't stand opening that app to see hundreds of reviews per deck/language. It's just immediate demoralization.

I find I have no interest in reading or watching anything, no matter the language (ie. English included). This isn't new, but it is new in that the lower bar I had for target language media is seemingly no longer there. Several years ago I "lost" interest in anything I used to like doing or learning about, so I'm just a bit lost in my TLs trying to find "fun" things to do. Some of that lack of interest is actually aversion... what difference that makes, I don't know, either way I don't care to engage with things. Anyway, that's not a problem that will be solved on the forum. Just having it on the record as a factor in the stagnation.

Not much else to say, really. Can't wait for the weekend so I can report that I met none of my goals and not repeat the same "set some weekly goals!" mistake heading into next week :lol:
3 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:14 am

I've been having a similar problem, and I am trying to get back to my former interested and motivated self (about the things I used to like and lost interest). I'm not sure how to do it properly yet, but I reached the conclusion that it is merely life that changes us. We don't have to stay where we used to be, and it is ok to change direction, interests etc. It could also be a mild depression, early mid life crisis, sloth, being tired of things, whatever (not talking about you, just in general). There could be many reasons, so in order to find the solution we should identify the cause. In my case it's a combination of all of the above, but I keep in mind that it is my life and if I want different things than before it's fine 8-) I do have negative feelings thinking that it's like giving up, wasting all my past efforts, but in the end nothing is wasted. Experiences are all with us.
I hope I don't speak out of place, I am just sharing my small experience on the matter.
2 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Morgana
Green Belt

Postby Morgana » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:50 am

renaissancemedici wrote:I've been having a similar problem, and I am trying to get back to my former interested and motivated self (about the things I used to like and lost interest). I'm not sure how to do it properly yet, but I reached the conclusion that it is merely life that changes us. We don't have to stay where we used to be, and it is ok to change direction, interests etc. It could also be a mild depression, early mid life crisis, sloth, being tired of things, whatever (not talking about you, just in general). There could be many reasons, so in order to find the solution we should identify the cause. In my case it's a combination of all of the above, but I keep in mind that it is my life and if I want different things than before it's fine 8-) I do have negative feelings thinking that it's like giving up, wasting all my past efforts, but in the end nothing is wasted. Experiences are all with us.
I hope I don't speak out of place, I am just sharing my small experience on the matter.
This was really thoughtful of you, thank you. You weren't out of place.

------

I dropped the Super Challenge burden. I know I hate goals, I know I hate deadlines, I was hesitant to join it in the first place but thought what the heck, how bad can it be. And then I knew the SC was weighing me down but thought I was managing/could manage. Well... getting rid of that commitment feels like a ton of bricks off my shoulders. I again have the freedom to not read before all else. Goodbye, Odinsbarn. Goodbye, feeling like I'm on a timeline for Icelandic. Goodbye, counting pages and minutes.

Needless to say, I'm tired of figuring out the same things over and over. I ought to make a list of "life lessons" I keep repeating. Staple it to my forehead so I see it every time I look in the mirror. Joking aside, when I was being pulled apart by wanderlust horses some months ago, I made a lengthy note on the reasons why the wanderlust was not a true reflection of what I want. I stuck it into my outline of my study plan, so every time I'd reference the plan I'd read over the note, and for a while it killed the wanderlust. Then I thought I had "beat" the wanderlust, and deleted the note. Ha ha ha. Some lessons don't stick. Just like some words in Anki. I don't know what the takeaway from that is other than to keep notes everywhere to remind me of my focus lol.

------

To get it over with, here's what I said I'd do this week, vs. what I actually did (struck-through means I did it):
  • read 50 pages of Odinsbarn - I read 26 and at that point I was at the end of a chapter, what better place to stop reading a book indefinitely? 51% of the book done. Not even up to where I had gotten when I decided to restart the book one month ago. The irony of the fact that, had I simply continued with the book I'd be done by now, is not lost on me.
  • stay on pace with the audiobook
  • read Mio, min Mio - not even close
  • finish unit 3 of Colloquial Icelandic - maybe halfway through the unit
  • do my Anki reviews everyday
  • watch The Oath (Icelandic film) Edit 07212018: watched this last night after making my confessions
  • do 10 exercises from Form i fokus A
  • read the updated paper on chorusing with Audacity by Kjellin - nope
  • read the entire Swedish phonology page on Wikipedia again, and fill out any gaps in my existing notes - nope
And that's the last time I do weekly goals. I have a note in all caps on my desk beside my laptop now:
"NO TIME GOALS
NO WEEKLY GOALS
NO CHALLENGES"
I'll put some effort into making some other relevant notes while I figure out what the heck I'm doing.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”