I'm a logger

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Sarafina
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Japanese (Beginner)

Re: I'm a logger

Postby Sarafina » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Even though I'm an adult, my parents won't allow me to talk to strangers on Skype or whathaveyou through video-chat - they even look down on chatting. They might accept italki, but then they'd find a reason for me not to pay for the lesson, like "it's a scam" or "too much money"... I don't know. I know I have confidence problems. I tried to memorize what I wrote this time around, but improvise a little to make it natural. I still translate in my head when I try to speak, so that could be the problem. Or part of it.

I was the same when I first started Italki. I remember being so nervous as my French was awful and even in English I'm not the wittest of conversationalist. But honestly the reality is a lot better than what I imagined. We tend to think of worst case scenerios. I understand that your parents are worried about you talking to strangers on Skype. But you can reassure them by picking language exchange partners that are the same age and gender as you to elimate the chances of you accidently meeting someone who thinks that language exchanges sites are some kind of dating site. Besides you talk to someone who you feel gives you weird vibes, you can block them immediately and you don't need to owe them an explanation. (I wish that real life had that option sometimes). However I think HelloTalk allows both those options. But on Italki you can select language partner based on gender.
Personally I've encoutered less creeps on Italki then I have in real life. If you're worried about safety then exercise general common sense i.e. don't give away your address/bank details to strangers/share inappropriate pictures/don't elope with them (at least not without seeing eachother first :lol:) and remember that Skype has the option to block people and you can do the same on Italki and they can't physically hurt you in anyway. Skype only has an option to do audiocalls if you feel uncomfortable with the idea of a stranger on the internet looking at your face.

For me language exchange partners are a hit or miss and it took me a while to find even a handful of decent long term language exchange partners however some people have better luck with it. I prefer Italki tutors to language exchanges. I've had a great experience with Italki lessons and tutors. I'd recommend that you give it a go. Spanish teachers (especially ones from Latin America) are a lot more affordable than French teachers on Italki. There are plenty of great teachers that charge less than $10 per hour and you can pick 30 minutes lessons (which can cost only a couple of dollars) to see if you like the teaching style of the tutor. I recommend reading the reviews properly of the tutor on Italki correctly and see if any of it reasonates with you- people are not under any obligation or motive to lie and say nice things about them if they are not true.

Seeing as you're an adult and I don't know if you mentioned that you have a part-time job, you can pay for a couple of Italki lessons yourself and have those lessons in a cafe somewhere you will be undisturbed for least one hour.
3 x

eido
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1), dabbling in others

Postby eido » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Morgana wrote:Pretty much how I feel about everything within days/hours/minutes of starting it :lol: But more seriously, how frustrating about IO. How is level 1? Has the course become anymore transparent? How long have you spent on IO 1 so far? Sorry for the barrage of questions. I can't bring myself to even peak at Icelandic Online lest I be drawn into a second resource.

I just took @Soffía's advice and started looking up everything. It's very inefficient. I understand cases but not why they're used certain places. All I've read on the subject is that they differ based on prepositions and the like, but of course they differ based on other things as well. The exercises can be pretty easy to understand, but sometimes not. There's many I've abandoned halfway through. For this reason I was hoping to take @galaxyrocker's idea and use it - get someone to work on it with me. I've technically completed up through level three with a few exceptions (abandoned exercises) but a glitch back in April or so deleted all my work for those levels. I realize there's a need to have thorough lessons, but the thoroughness of these lessons is disputed by me since the words they use in them are not repeated enough to be useful. They introduce some useful ones, but this is no Icelandic in Easy Stages. Nearly every word is a new word with each lesson, except for the core words they're trying to teach you for that unit. I'm on the "healthy or unhealthy" section, so some of the words that have repeated are basic ones relating to that. I've been working with it on and off for a few months because I get so frustrated. But it's a good supplement to course books in English. I don't think it would hurt you to use IO along with a text, though you might be like me and be driven to complete everything in one sitting just to have it done.
garyb wrote:I agree with the comments on your pronunciation; good work! I'm no expert on Spanish pronunciation, but aside from a couple of syllables here and there and the rising intonation at the end of some sentences as mentioned, you didn't sound particularly American/Anglophone. That's perhaps the most important thing! Talking alone to a camera feels very strange at first compared to speaking with a real person (face-to-face or by video), so I can't blame you for not feeling confident. YouTubers usually look confident but I'm sure it was weird at first for them too and they've just practised enough to overcome it.

I used to think I was good at talking to a camera because I'm good at talking to myself, but apparently not :lol: I think it's me just not having had enough practice with speaking Spanish, mostly. I'm glad I'm not horrible, though.
Jaleel10 wrote:Then during my lunch break I listen to the podcast without the transcript to see if I can pick out every single syllable, I will replay certain sections. The awful thing is that I keep translating in my head but I am sure that aspect will improve over time. I will probably follow the advice of Iguanamon and NoManches and transition to listening without the transcript first but there is still a huge gap in my comprehension in terms of grammar and certain expressions.

You are more systematic about it than I am. Using the TV series I was watching as an example, I mostly just wing it. I listen and decipher as I do. I go back as necessary, trying to pick out the base information - the syllables, as you mentioned. Then I put meaning into it. This probably takes so long because I, like you, translate in my head. *suspiro* But if I used a transcript more often, I'd probably check it for meaning like you do first.
Axon wrote:I had the same feeling about wanting to broaden my listening skills. I ended up looking for "top 10" video channels in various languages and happened to find some pretty good ones. The 1-2 minute clips on different subjects piqued my curiosity just enough to make me want to see more. And then I just clicked through related videos, short documentaries, anything. There's no shortage of 15-30 minute documentaries on YouTube. I just watched one about AirBnB in German.

By the way, your Spanish sounds very good. You have a better level of Spanish than many, many people who claim they know it. Certainly better than me.

I'll keep an eye out for documentaries. I have a Gmail/YouTube dedicated to watching Spanish now so something should pop up sooner or later. If not, though, I don't know what to search. I have a lower tolerance for listening, for some reason. This bleeds over to English. I prefer to read. But it's worse with Spanish because I can't understand it as well, so my patience wears thin quicker. And my Spanish is about survival level, speaking wise. When I speak I translate in my head, so I plug in words into slots as I speak. For this one, I memorized most of a script but made it somewhat improvised. So I have a lot in my head, but I can't get it out.
Sarafina wrote:For me language exchange partners are a hit or miss and it took me a while to find even a handful of decent long term language exchange partners however some people have better luck with it. I prefer Italki tutors to language exchanges. I've had a great experience with Italki lessons and tutors. I'd recommend that you give it a go. Spanish teachers (especially ones from Latin America) are a lot more affordable than French teachers on Italki. There are plenty of great teachers that charge less than $10 per hour and you can pick 30 minutes lessons (which can cost only a couple of dollars) to see if you like the teaching style of the tutor. I recommend reading the reviews properly of the tutor on Italki correctly and see if any of it reasonates with you- people are not under any obligation or motive to lie and say nice things about them if they are not true.

Seeing as you're an adult and I don't know if you mentioned that you have a part-time job, you can pay for a couple of Italki lessons yourself and have those lessons in a cafe somewhere you will be undisturbed for least one hour.

I checked up on the italki tutors. I found a few I bookmarked. Once my schedule for the year is set I will consider booking some. I actually went crazy and applied to be a tutor. :roll: I'm at home midday on the schedule I have currently, and neither of my parents are, so that would be a good time to book them for. Once I convince myself I can do it, I will. Hopefully.

I meant to update my log a few days ago, but I kept having the doldrums about going back to work, so I procrastinated and laid on the couch moping. Now that I'm back at work, it's worse. Icelandic and Spanish are the only things keeping me wanting to push forward in life.

I'm almost done with book 1 of that free and legal textbook. One last chapter to go. I don't mind looking things up. I just need repeated exposure, I think. With Icelandic, that's hard to get at the beginner level. The resources I'm using don't seem to overlap much yet. I'm on Chapter 3 of Colloquial, Bálkur 4 of IO 1, and one of the first 5 lessons of Linguaphone, maybe 3? I need to get going.

I've been reading articles on PijamaSurf (remembering what @iguanamon said to do), looking up as I go. I understand about 85% of every article if not more, depending on what they're talking about.
Here's some words:
- tornar: maybe "to become" in context, but "to return" in dictionary words
- desvelado: wide awake
- berrinche: tantrum
- a la deriva: in context, maybe "broken" - but in dictionary words, "adrift"
- tachar: to label
- fehaciente: irrefutable
- decantarse: to opt for
- suscitar: to arouse (interest)
- tironear: to tug at
- desdeñable: contemptible
- ocioso: idle
- azaroso: risky
- tajante: categorical, unequivocal (a word I never use, and of which I am slightly unsure of the meaning)
- nocivo: harmful
- declive: decline (I guessed this one, but I'm still putting it here)
- tope: limit (guessed this one, too)
- recalcar: to stress (a point)
- netamente: clearly, genuinely

That's quite a bit :shock: I feel shame. One of them which I didn't include was a repeat for this log - something I'd already looked up - so now I'm disappointed. Coming tomorrow will be a Google Doc with all the words I've looked up for easy reference and trackability.

I also took a test on Cudoo after spending $10 on an introductory Greenlandic course. We've had the discussion before about tests being an unreliable indicator of your level, but I couldn't resist. This one was fairly easy, except some of the listening sections were a bit hard to get. Nevertheless, I apparently didn't do so well. I got B1.4. I know it says English down there but I did very clearly take the Spanish one, I promise you.
spantestres_1.PNG
spantestres_1.PNG (31.97 KiB) Viewed 254 times

That's all for today, folks.
6 x

eido
Green Belt

Postby eido » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:20 am

The only thing I've done today language related is watch TedTalks in Spanish. The Spanish isn't too hard to understand when I put YouTube auto-generated captions on, but otherwise it's hard. I watched one I'll link below where the speaker had a Spanish accent and those always throw me. If you don't have a general South American accent I can't understand you :lol:

I got the gist of the above embedded talk, but most of it sounded like word soup. I think a mixture of this type of speech and some of @NoManches' podcasts should get me to understanding Spanish better. I still need to find some Spanish documentaries like @Axon mentioned. I have Netflix. Maybe there're some on there?

I'm just sad because I didn't get the jokes the speaker tried to relate to the audience with. I think this was a mix of not knowing a specialized word and the blending of words. I say 'specialized', but maybe the words I didn't know are well-known to native speakers. I listened to most of the talks without the captions, so I only wrote down one word: 'sigilada'. I'm not sure I get the meaning of it after looking it up on SpanishDict.

In a few days the fall semester starts, and I'm taking two science classes. One shouldn't be too hard, but the other is Chemistry, and I barely passed that (heh, well, with an A-) in high school, so I'm worried. I will try to keep up my language studies. I definitely want to.

Also, here's the link to the document with all the words. I only included words which I was able to transcribe accurately, and which I had appropriate definitions for - for the most part. If you find a way it could be improved, let me know.
1 x

Morgana
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Plays with Swedish and Icelandic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7745

Postby Morgana » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:53 am

eido wrote:and I barely passed that (heh, well, with an A-)
Sheesh, and I thought I was hard on myself! :lol:
1 x

AndyMeg
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7431

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm

eido wrote:I'm just sad because I didn't get the jokes the speaker tried to relate to the audience with. I think this was a mix of not knowing a specialized word and the blending of words. I say 'specialized', but maybe the words I didn't know are well-known to native speakers. I listened to most of the talks without the captions, so I only wrote down one word: 'sigilada'. I'm not sure I get the meaning of it after looking it up on SpanishDict..

Me gustó mucho la charla, estuvo muy interesante. ¡Gracias por compartirla! :)

Yo escuché "sigilata romana". Busqué en Google y encontré esto: Terra sigillata.

Así es como lo veo yo:

Las bromas en general se derivan de la ironía de que le digan a las personas que algo les pertenece como patrimonio cultural pero que, en realidad, no puedan hacer uso de ello ni tocarlo.
También hay humor cuando habla sobre cómo el dueño actual u original de un objeto, lugar o espacio puede perder sus derechos si algo es declarado patrimonio cultural/nacional, y que muchas veces lo que prima no es tanto el deseo de proteger el "patromonio cultural/nacional" sino de hacer dinero con ello (lo cual también puede verse como un uso legítimo, según el conferencista) al tomarlo como una especie de atracción turística. En este sentido pone como ejemplo lo que deberían haberle dicho a la hermana de Steve Jobs si hubieran sido más claros con sus verdaderas razones: "Hermana de Steve Jobs. Mala suerte. Su garaje nos da mucho dinero, le vamos a impedir que lo modifique" :mrgreen: . También pone otro ejemplo con la imagen del sarcófago del Rey Fenicio Eshmunazar de Sidón cuya inscripción, según él, dice: "Esto es mi sarcófago. Estoy enterrado dentro. Solo está mi cuerpo y no hay nada más. Me gustaría que me dejaran en mi tumba y que no abrieran el sarcófago" y luego agrega (y aquí viene la parte del humor) "Por si acaso alguno lo hace, lo maldigo. Será impotente y se le caerán los brazos". Igual, los arqueólogos no le hiceron caso y ahora el sarcófago está expuesto en el museo de Louvre (y él no sabe qué les ocurrió a los arqueólogos en cuestión) XD!
Otra cosa que dice es que las cosas en los museos están fuera de contexto y no se entiende muy bien cómo se usaban o para qué servían. Y que los organismos públicos no necesariamente saben guardar bien los objetos declarados como patrimonio. Aquí pone como ejemplo algo que sucedió en el Ayuntamiento de Madrid, en España, en el que se perdieron varios objetos (200 obras) de su colección. Y aquí hace una analogía con humor: "Imagínense. Sus padres o sus hijos se van de fin de semana, y cuando vuelven a casa les dices: «Mucha mala suerte: he perdido el televisor, el microhondas, la estufa, las cuatro camas, el carro, al perro, la caseta del perro...»" :lol:
2 x
: 1461 / 18000 korean videos without subs (minutes) :
: 60 / 447 Korean: A Comprehensive Grammar (pages) :
: 110 / 194 맞춤 스페인어권 한국어-1 (pages) :

eido
Green Belt

Postby eido » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:37 am

Morgana wrote:Sheesh, and I thought I was hard on myself! :lol:

Back then I was a hardcore studier. I still am to some extent, always wanting the best grades. *shrug* :oops:
AndyMeg wrote:Me gustó mucho la charla, estuvo muy interesante. ¡Gracias por compartirla! :)

No hay de qué. No la habría compartir si no creyera que fuera interesante. Creo que en verdad entendí más que creí, porque tu resumen fue muy similar a lo que recuerdo haber oído. Entiendo las bromas ahora. Quiero saber más de que la ciencia de bromas y comedia. Amo reírme. Amo la literatura y las palabras, y quiero saber usarlas bien. Pero gracias por la ayuda.

Today I experimented with audiobook titles to listen to. I went to Librivox and found Frankenstein, which is an interesting book, but I can't fully appreciate it for all that is interesting. Could someone give me a reason it should be read, or listened to? Like, if you're talking to me, the dummy, give me 5 reasons I should invest my time in thinking about all the supposedly complex issues raised by the then young author. I read this book as a teenager, but I couldn't understand it then. As I said above, I want to have a deep understanding of things like this.

I also want to read a bunch of Sherlock Holmes stories in Spanish. Someone here or there linked to a parallel text breaking down A Study in Scarlet and I was so angry I couldn't understand it. Sites mark it as advanced, and I'd love to be able to read it just for the sheer challenge. Hmm, maybe they have Sherlock on Netflix? My friend was super into it in high school, so maybe I can get into it. Though it might be just a passing phase if they do have it. I watched a few episodes, and it was all very dramatic and intense in a supposed intellectual way.

I also downloaded Kindle for desktop - I'm considering buying the graded readers written for B2 level that @NoManches mentioned. Now I can get all the cheap Kindle books I've been wanting, seeing. Heh heh.

I also got turned down for that italki job. I don't know what I did wrong. All the reason they gave was they had too many applicants, or something, but it wasn't even that. It's not fair to not evaluate why someone didn't pass properly. Maybe I'm just butthurt.
4 x

Jaleel10
Green Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (A2.2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7606

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:23 am

eido wrote:
I also want to read a bunch of Sherlock Holmes stories in Spanish. Someone here or there linked to a parallel text breaking down A Study in Scarlet and I was so angry I couldn't understand it. Sites mark it as advanced, and I'd love to be able to read it just for the sheer challenge. Hmm, maybe they have Sherlock on Netflix? My friend was super into it in high school, so maybe I can get into it. Though it might be just a passing phase if they do have it. I watched a few episodes, and it was all very dramatic and intense in a supposed intellectual way.

I experienced the same with HP Lovecraft, just gave up when I couldn't understand the first paragraph lol. I swore to myself that I would read his collection once I passed the C1 exam. As a reward for my hard work :lol: His style of writing is already a bit too advanced for me in English, but English is my 2nd language so que Dios me proteja cuando lo lea yo en español :lol: I just love the man and the genre so I will just have to push through. For the sheer challenge as you mentioned

Sherlock (the series) is on Netflix but they don't have the dubbed versions (at least not on our Netflix). Pero ya sabes que sé dónde se puede encontrar :? The series is actually pretty phenomenal and there are only 13 episodes in total. Each the length of a movie :lol: Don't know if you are familiar with British television.
1 x
Courses/Programs:
Assimil : 140 / 200
Personal Challenges
Active Listening Practice: Road to 60 hours : 17 / 60
Reading: Finish 20 B1+ graded readers : 3 / 20

Hagámoslo

eido
Green Belt

Postby eido » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:I experienced the same with HP Lovecraft, just gave up when I couldn't understand the first paragraph lol. I swore to myself that I would read his collection once I passed the C1 exam. As a reward for my hard work :lol: His style of writing is already a bit too advanced for me in English, but English is my 2nd language so que Dios me proteja cuando lo lea yo en español :lol: I just love the man and the genre so I will just have to push through. For the sheer challenge as you mentioned

Sherlock (the series) is on Netflix but they don't have the dubbed versions (at least not on our Netflix). Pero ya sabes que sé dónde se puede encontrar :? The series is actually pretty phenomenal and there are only 13 episodes in total. Each the length of a movie :lol: Don't know if you are familiar with British television.

You're much better at English than I am, son. I had trouble reading the antiquated colonialist journals from the 1800s in my history class this past summer semester, because the sentences went on for days and the diction had words only a PhD would know, or at least a well-read, smart person. I am neither of those. :oops:
They don't have the dubbed versions on my Netflix either, which I guess is the US version but set to US Spanish. I have only ever seen some Monty Python and some old British TV from the 70s on PBS when I was six, I believe, besides the episodes of Sherlock I've already seen. I didn't know it was the norm for episodes to be long, if that's what you're hinting at.

I watched some of The Imitation Game today, read some of Paco Ardit's B2 readers which I did buy (both these and the C1, because of the discount/sale), and read an interview about the voice actor for Sherlock in the Spanish dub of the series. Here's a quote from him:
Iván Muelas wrote:Benedict lo veo un tío raro, con la cara un poquito de niño grande repelente, pero con misterio, tiene carisma, alto y con muy buena planta. No es el típico galán guapete que te da todo hecho, es un tío que dices "¿y este estirado que no sabes por donde te va a salir?". Es raro, pero a la vez te gusta, es una mezcla curiosa.

This was a bit hard to understand since it's a bit slangy, and I had to look things up. But below will be my translation of it:
I see Benedict as a weird guy, with the face a bit like that of a pretty repulsive-looking boy - but one which has mystery to it, charisma, a person who is tall and always has plans. He's not the typical pretty boy lead that gives you all that; he's a guy that says, "And you stuck-up snob, you don't know where this is going?" It's weird, but at the same time you like it. It's a strange mix.

I marked the trouble spots in red as always.

I'm getting about 70% comprehension for right now in the movie. The readers are easy so far. I'm looking for things to challenge myself, since I think I have a good grasp on grammar, I just need to fill in the holes with vocabulary and slang, or rather commonly used expressions. Compared to @Jaleel10 I sound like a textbook even though I do try to supplement my admitted textbook learning with YouTube comments to learn the more colloquial styles of the language out there. I will hunt for the Sherlock stories on Amazon when I have the time. I don't think I'll L/R. I either want to listen or read, but not do that complicated bit. I know we have a book club on the forums, but I don't think I can keep up with the pace of them. So I'll ask here. Are there any challenging - to you - texts that you would recommend someone like me, seeing what I've been talking about throughout my log? I'll consider anything you come up with. Thank you if you do.

Any comments on any aspect of my log or learning are most welcome. I think about each carefully before I respond, and though it may take me long to implement your suggestions, they do get stuck in there and cook - nothing is lost! I read most posts on the forum and check every day. As of now you can see I'm trying to stick to implementing a quasi @Cavesa-like approach to getting to advanced levels, and mixing it with Iguana wisdom. I don't know why I'm like this, but I am. Even if you're here to just say Gravity Falls sucks, be my guest. I'll have your head. Maybe you're a polyglot and I can eat your knowledge. Or maybe I'll get a disease from that. Eh, either way.
1 x

lavengro
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2), Spanish (A2), Italian - io non parlo italiano, yet

Postby lavengro » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 pm

eido wrote:
Jaleel10 wrote: ....
They don't have the dubbed versions on my Netflix either, which I guess is the US version but set to US Spanish. I have only ever seen some Monty Python and some old British TV from the 70s on PBS when I was six, I believe, besides the episodes of Sherlock I've already seen. I didn't know it was the norm for episodes to be long, if that's what you're hinting at.

.... I will hunt for the Sherlock stories on Amazon when I have the time. I don't think I'll L/R. I either want to listen or read, but not do that complicated bit.

I watch an absurd amount of television/Netflix; in my opinion, the first season of Sherlock is pretty much top shelf. There should be versions in a number of other languages available, though you may need to go through amazon via another country. Here is a little nibble to hold you over for the time being - a brief clip from the initial episode, in English, Italian, Russian, Spanish and French.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNzeuzYPiLc
1 x

eido
Green Belt

Postby eido » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:47 pm

lavengro wrote:I watch an absurd amount of television/Netflix; in my opinion, the first season of Sherlock is pretty much top shelf. There should be versions in a number of other languages available, though you may need to go through amazon via another country. Here is a little nibble to hold you over for the time being - a brief clip from the initial episode, in English, Italian, Russian, Spanish and French.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNzeuzYPiLc

I'm laughing at the people arguing about what constitutes the merits of someone's performance in the comments section of that video: tone or... actual performance? What do you think?

I don't know how to rate TV, or anything really. What I consider good is potty humor or humor which is based off common things, like stereotypes. Hence why Hetalia as an anime dubbed in English appealed to me. Sherlock is more intellectual humor, naturally. It has like layers of humor, it seems. Why would you rate it so highly? Care to analyze? And I did enjoy the clip. I've obtained the first season thanks to some help. I'm loving Mr. Holmes' voice in Castellano, even though I thought I wouldn't. It reminds me of the voice they gave Sam and Dean's dad in Supernatural. Very deep and just Hispanic-sounding (if that's a thing), pronouncing all those sounds with a guttural ease. Sherlock's voice is very playful but at the same time commands respect. I so far haven't heard any other tones. I like Muelas' touch.

I just got to the part of one of this series' famous lines:
Anderson: Según alguien, el asesino tiene la maleta y la hemos encontrado en manos de nuestro psicópata favorito.
Sherlock: No soy un psicópata. Soy un sociópata con muchas habilidades.

I forget what the actual line is in English, but there you have it. :lol: "I'm a skilled sociopath" is how I'd say it. I don't even think they make the distinction between the two anymore, so maybe this is some kind of sophisticated humor I'm not used to?

I wanted to update my log, but I haven't much to say. I am an hour through the first episode of Sherlock, and I am having a rough go of it. It's not as bad as it could be. I'm not sure if it's the accents I'm not used to or not, but speed is definitely a factor at points because they think that to be a genius you have to speak fast. Maybe you do. I wouldn't know. I'm not a genius. Though even in these parts I can still follow along okay with a lot of concentration.

I also downloaded (bought) A Scandal in Bohemia as a bilingual text for Kindle. It's formatted a bit funky and wasn't translated by a native speaker as far as I know. I just hope it's good - the translation, I mean. There's probably more I could have chosen from, but for some reason this one was the first I stumbled upon. Apparently this is the first story in which Irene Adler appears, and the only one. She's not a kind woman from what I remember of the series, and my friend in high school despised all the women of the Holmes universe despite how few there were. I don't know if it's because she was obsessed with proving that 21st century Watson and Holmes were gay, so no women could fit into the equation, but there would be no having any Mary, Molly or Irene for her. She wished away their existences and spent hours as a teen writing counter-arguments - why Mary couldn't love Watson, and why Irene wasn't smart. Things like that. It was kind of scary. But maybe she was a young Holmes, and I just didn't see her brilliance.

Anyway, I find the Holmes story to be interesting even though I've read little of it. It's all very dramatic. I guess people of all eras have loved to be. Are Doyle's stories meant to be classy, or sensational? Hmm. Do opine.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”