Christi's Korean studies

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: Christi's Korean studies

Postby Christi » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 pm

ロータス wrote:
Depends on the langauge and what you want to do in it. This for web dev or app dev?

Web development. Am going to attend a Python workshop this weekend, just to get started with that and also do some networking.

For anyone who's curious: am still doing my teaching course, even though I'm still really insecure about it.

I've also started doing some Korean again. Am reviewing words now and just got a bilingual book that I'm reading. It feels a lot less tiring and is an easy way to get back into things and to expand my vocabulary count.
I also found a tutor who I plan to schedule lessons with twice a month.

Other than that I'm just going at it at a snail's pace. But that's fine, better than quitting. Now here's to hoping the sun will start shining again so I can read my books outside in the fresh air and sunshine!
1 x
2019 resolution words learned: 634 / 1000

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:51 pm

You know how they say to be careful what you wish for? Well, last time I wished for more sun.. there's more sun now, but it's been 30-38 degrees recently and probably even more hot in my studio (my neighbour's thermometer hit 40ish a while ago...)

Anyways, I tried out the tutor..twice. Didn't really like it since everything was in English and there wasn't really a lot of teaching going on. Just reading the rules in the textbook, but no actual teaching or practising. Have booked a lesson with a new teacher who doesn't know much English. If that doesn't work I'll just get back to doing language exchanges.
Also, I've found a few Koreans who want to meet occasionally to study. We're meeting this week and will do a bit of easy speaking. I've also found some penpals. And have been doing some reading, I want to finish at least one book (actually, I want to finish 1 comic, 2 kid's books but, well, snail's pace). I've found a bunch of books that look interesting. One of which is Kim Ji-Young: born in 1982. I want to read it so badly and am really tempted to buy it since I stumbled upon it online :oops: .

Penguin's Kitchen 모락모락 펭귄의 부엌 in the UK
This looks very cool too. Should I ever get it, then I'll probably end up able to read all those foodie blogs with ease haha.

Ooh, before I forget, I managed to sign up at Ridibooks and got a few free books. Some are really cool! There's a comic about Coco Chanel <3 and I found a book about female Korean independence fighters! So I better improve my Korean so that one day I'll be able to read all these cool books!
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Speak well: ES, DE, RU, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), FI, BG, EUS
Dabbling in: Malay
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Christi wrote:You know how they say to be careful what you wish for? Well, last time I wished for more sun.. there's more sun now, but it's been 30-38 degrees recently and probably even more hot in my studio (my neighbour's thermometer hit 40ish a while ago...)

Anyways, I tried out the tutor..twice. Didn't really like it since everything was in English and there wasn't really a lot of teaching going on. Just reading the rules in the textbook, but no actual teaching or practising. Have booked a lesson with a new teacher who doesn't know much English. If that doesn't work I'll just get back to doing language exchanges.
Also, I've found a few Koreans who want to meet occasionally to study. We're meeting this week and will do a bit of easy speaking. I've also found some penpals. And have been doing some reading, I want to finish at least one book (actually, I want to finish 1 comic, 2 kid's books but, well, snail's pace). I've found a bunch of books that look interesting. One of which is Kim Ji-Young: born in 1982. I want to read it so badly and am really tempted to buy it since I stumbled upon it online :oops: .

Penguin's Kitchen 모락모락 펭귄의 부엌 in the UK
This looks very cool too. Should I ever get it, then I'll probably end up able to read all those foodie blogs with ease haha.

Ooh, before I forget, I managed to sign up at Ridibooks and got a few free books. Some are really cool! There's a comic about Coco Chanel <3 and I found a book about female Korean independence fighters! So I better improve my Korean so that one day I'll be able to read all these cool books!

You from the east somewhere?
0 x
Ich stehe zwischen zwei Welten, bin in keiner daheim und habe es infolgedessen ein wenig schwer.
Preferred pronouns: feminine.

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:05 pm

tarvos wrote:
You from the east somewhere?

No, in Amsterdam. But some parts get really hot because of traffic, city density, refelctive buildings etc; and my house and surrounding areas really absorb the sunlight and the heat has nowhere to go. I've got my curtains closed all day and my fan running as soon as I get home, but it's still quite hot in here..more than outside the house.

So time for a general update!

I'm still trying the turoring thing. I liked the teacher who knew limited English and I also tried one other teacher who seemed alright. The only thing I'm unsure about is that I asked what grammar I should focus on and they said I already know a lot and should just practise speaking more often to get more fluent.
I'm unsure about doing this. I kinda feel that yes, I should practise speaking, but I don't want to just speak about a random topic each week. I actually want to have a few goals to work on. I'm just not exactly sure what those should be. For my next session with my tutor we have decided to talk about a story I've read, but this still seems to vague to me. Perhaps I'll ask her to focus on a particular grammar pattern each session. I'll talk about the story I've read with her and she can really focus on that grammar point and tell me what I'm doing wrong and maybe give me some assignments?
I need to think about this some more.

Besides tutoring I've been messaging some Korean people a few times each week. I feel like this is really good for my vocabulary building, but I've been getting the feeling that they don't really correct my grammar that much. So this leads me to feeling unsure if my grammar usage is actually correct or not. But since finding these people took a lot of effort and I haven't been ghosted yet so far I think I'll continue chatting with them. It's low-effort, but still makes the language tangible to me.

This week I also received a letter from my Korean penpal. I haven't replied yet, but am excited to see where this will go!

Focus for August:
-Finish reading the 10ish short stories I've got left, and then get started on a kid's book.
- Write something about a story I read.
-I joined the KGIU bandwagon! Know most of the 105ish rules in the beginner book, but I want to really understand all the nuances so I'll cover a few chapters each week. Once I'm done I'll get started on the intermediate book :)
-Watch an easy Korean vlog each week.
-Go through an anki deck of a kdrama to improve listening skills. No reviewing.

That's it! I'm not really into specific goal setting as you might have noticed. This might cause my learning progress to be a bit slower than most people's here, but it's fine since learning Korean is just a hobby for me and I just want it to stay fun and not worry too much about plans and goals.
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:22 pm

I'm still trying the turoring thing. I liked the teacher who knew limited English and I also tried one other teacher who seemed alright. The only thing I'm unsure about is that I asked what grammar I should focus on and they said I already know a lot and should just practise speaking more often to get more fluent.
I'm unsure about doing this. I kinda feel that yes, I should practise speaking, but I don't want to just speak about a random topic each week. I actually want to have a few goals to work on. I'm just not exactly sure what those should be. For my next session with my tutor we have decided to talk about a story I've read, but this still seems to vague to me. Perhaps I'll ask her to focus on a particular grammar pattern each session. I'll talk about the story I've read with her and she can really focus on that grammar point and tell me what I'm doing wrong and maybe give me some assignments?
I need to think about this some more.

Ask your teacher for these things. I find you have to be very proactive with teachers, because if you are not they'll just follow their own curriciulum and you're stuck with that. I love it when students come to me with particular requests because it makes it much easier to work with them and because I can focus on something relevant to their lives. I'm not sure how the Korean teachers take it, but if it were me: I'd ask all these things and be very specific about what I want. It might pay off to put down five things you feel you are weak at and want to work on, and it might also help not to use random topics but to pick topics important to your life that you cannot yet talk about in Korean.

As for the heat... I feel ya.
3 x
Ich stehe zwischen zwei Welten, bin in keiner daheim und habe es infolgedessen ein wenig schwer.

an onyme
Yellow Belt
Languages: American (N); le franc,ais (B*); 한구거 (B1 probably); 忠文 (A*)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10575

Postby an onyme » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:58 am

Christi wrote:One of which is Kim Ji-Young: born in 1982. I want to read it so badly and am really tempted to buy it since I stumbled upon it online :oops: .

I was eyeing this as well!

I definitely recommend being proactive with your iTalki teachers as well, and not settling for a teacher who can't work with your approach. I've met Korean teachers with such a variety of styles that there will definitely be at least a few out there. Bringing in a grammar point to focus on each session sounds like a good idea that I will take for myself. If you need goals for goals' sake, being able to recognize and use every one of those million-odd grammatical particles isn't a bad one.
0 x
Just your friendly neighbourhood onyme

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:07 pm

Topik is going to be held on the 16th of November and I've decided to apply for it even though I don't think I will actually pass. I figure it will be easier to create more intermediate level learning goals though. I've decided to create a global plan, that can be adjusted if I think things are too easy or hard. It's just that I have all these learning resources available so I better make good use of them and I think they might help prepare for Topik too.

- Start reading 안읽어 씨 가족과 책 요리점 again to improve vocab. If I read a bit more than 1 page a day I will finish it before the test.
- Do one KGIU lesson a week and make sure to listen to the audio too.
- Finish Active Korean 4 in August.
- Read a chapter from Essential Korean Reader every week.
- Practise listening skills by doing either one Iyagi, Story Time in Korean, Cultural Topics with Andreas the Greek per week.
- Take one Topik exam a week.
- Write a short story/summary on what I read or watched every week. Have it corrected on Italki.

Figure out if it makes sense to get TTMIK's News in Korean and to also focus on learning idioms or to just skip that if it's not necessary for passing level 3. Would it make sense to buy COMPLETE GUIDE TO THE TOPIK since it goes over some strategies? And do I need a timemachine? I think I probably do :lol:
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:36 am

I've been doing a lot of reviewing since I had a backlog and want to get it out of the way before adding new words, which with my new study schedule is bound to be a lot, I have about 600 words left to review. I wonder how I am going to manage though. I've added about 70 new words this week since I have a few pages left to read and I intend to finish it before starting my new program. But some days the reviews really seem to pile up, although this might also be because I'm finally reviewing my backlog.

I've remembered most words so far, but also came across a few useful phrases which I will post here:

말이 되네요: that makes sense. Very useful and I can't believe I forgot this!
금시초문인데요: that is news to me. Another very useful phrase!
일석이조: to kill two birds with one stone.
이 단어 는 맞춤법이 틀렸다: this word is spelled wrong.
밥은 먹고 살아야지: to put bread on the table. Although I wonder if this sentence is complete. It seems to miss some more conjugation? Can someone confirm this?

This week I re-read my log and also read some old logs by other Korean learners and one thing that stood out to me is how many resources I've been sharing that I've not seen elsewhere. Today I want to share some other sites that I've found. I saw this news site mention on a log by Chris here, it's a bilingual news site and contains super short articles.
I also found a Korean cooking channel, the videos are short and contain Korean subtitles!
I also found this NHK site with videos on Japan in English, but with Korean subtitles. I was actually looking for another site that I had found, but I think I've accidentally deleted my bookmark. It was a Japanese (news) site about popular culture and there was also a Korean language option.

For those preparing for Topik I I found this site with nifty English translations. I wish they also had this for Topik II.

And for those looking to improve their handwriting:

I also did some listening to TTMIK beginner Iyagi as review and looked at one intermediate episode and thought the pacing seemed doable. The only thing I'm worried about is translating those episodes incorrectly since they don't contain any translations, but maybe that's just a matter of confidence.
Last edited by Christi on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:04 am

I didn't know about the handwriting, that's a great resource. I will need to use it
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7431

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Christi wrote:And for those looking to improve their handwriting:

Thanks a lot for sharing this image!!! :D

Christi wrote:I also did some listening to TTMIK beginner Iyagi as review and looked at one intermediate episode and thought the pacing seemed doable. The only thing I'm worried about is translating those episodes incorrectly since they don't contain any translations, but maybe that's just a matter of confidence.

They used to sell translations in their webstore but I couldn't find them this time. You can still buy translations from the Iyagi series at GooglePlayStore or even use an old wiki project that, if I remember right, was created before they started selling the Iyagi translations in the official website: TTMIK Iyagi wiki project.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”