My language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
David27
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Re: My language log

Postby David27 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:30 pm

The biggest update over the past weekend since my last post is that since my wife was out of town for the weekend, I ended up watching a lot of foreign television. I didn't mean to waste so much time, but I ended up binging Gran Hotel season one, and got through 12/14 episodes on Netflix!! I wanted to watch a show that takes place in Spain with a Spanish cast, since I'm visiting in May and I'm not as used to the accent. I ended up loving it. It's a bit telenovela-ish, but the mystery and pacing kept me hooked throughout (obviously). I also started watching a children's anime series in Japanese too on Netflix called Naruto and saw 4-5 episodes (they're short). On one hand the language is not great in that the language is very informal in the show and would be considered very rude to use. On the other hand it's simple, and I now have enough experience with Japanese to know the difference between formal/informal language, and it will help me pick up vocabulary and just get used to hearing the language, so I may watch episodes here and there to boost my Japanese. Especially after being scarred off from the beginning of watching Tag, it may be awhile before I give another 'non kids' Japanese movie a shot. 

March hours.
Spanish: 13 hours, 0 minutes
Japanese: 12 hours, 15 minutes
Russian: 11 hours, 15 minutes
Mandarin: 11 hours, 0 minutes
French: 4 hours, 40 minutes
Portuguese: 2 hours, 15 minutes
German: 2 hours, 10 minutes
Bengali: 2 hours, 10 minutes
Dutch: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Polish: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Italian: 1 hour, 0 minutes

Running 2019 total:
Japanese: 31 hours, 10 minutes
Russian: 27 hours, 35 minutes
Mandarin: 22 hours, 55 minutes
Spanish: 22 hours, 25 minutes
French: 9 hours, 20 minutes
Italian: 4 hours, 25 minutes
Portuguese: 3 hour, 50 minutes
German: 3 hour, 35 minutes
Bengali: 2 hours, 10 minutes
Polish: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Dutch: 1 hour, 20 minutes
1 x

David27
Yellow Belt

Postby David27 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:58 am

Interesting day linguistically. First at around noon I get a consult for a French speaking woman from Guinea, who’s native language is actually mandinka, and she spends part of the time speaking Mandinka with her mother. It’s a beautiful sounding language, and I wish I could understand or say something in it! But I had to use French to communicate. Then at around 6 when I was about to go home, I get another new consult from the ED. I go down and she is from The Gambia, and she only speaks Soninke, another language if the mande branch of the Niger-Congo language family. I don’t run into these languages too often, but now these are the 3rd and 4th times this year.

Otherwise my day to day this week I used a good it of Spanish (which is pretty typical) with Dominicans and my Colombian coworker who is quite colloquial when speaking with me and has (to me) unique slang from Cali.
1 x

David27
Yellow Belt

Postby David27 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 am

I can’t get the link to work by pasting it here, it if you’re interested, Wikipedia has a great map of the Niger-Congo language family with their linguistic branches color coated and their geographic distribution.
0 x

dampingwire
Green Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:33 pm

David27 wrote:I can’t get the link to work by pasting it here, it if you’re interested, Wikipedia has a great map of the Niger-Congo language family with their linguistic branches color coated and their geographic distribution.

Is it this one?

If so, someone's put a lot of effort into that!
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

David27
Yellow Belt

Postby David27 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:05 am

dampingwire wrote:
David27 wrote:I can’t get the link to work by pasting it here, it if you’re interested, Wikipedia has a great map of the Niger-Congo language family with their linguistic branches color coated and their geographic distribution.

Is it this one?

If so, someone's put a lot of effort into that!

That’s it!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”