East Asian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Christi
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (beginner)

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby Christi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:36 am

reineke wrote:18 pages of people joining the group...

I think this might be because there are just too many different languages in this group which makes it more difficult to really focus on a particular topic or start challenges etc?

I'd be game for doing something as a group but don't think there's a lot of demand for it.
0 x
Korean memrise stats: 1254 / 2000
Aesop and Korean folktales: 1 / 30
Once upon a time in Korea: 2 / 23
Yonsei Reading 2: 1 / 40
The restaurant of the family that hates reading: 0 / 16

Monox D. I-Fly
Green Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:04 am

Is there anyone who can give me the link to download the Japanese versions of one of those:
1. MS Paint Tutorial
2. MS Power Point Tutorial
3. Corel Draw Tutorial
4. In Design Tutorial
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 650 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 1641 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 489 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 856 / 9000

Xenops
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2), Japanese (rusty A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7472

Postby Xenops » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Christi wrote:

I think this might be because there are just too many different languages in this group which makes it more difficult to really focus on a particular topic or start challenges etc?

I'd be game for doing something as a group but don't think there's a lot of demand for it.

That's an interesting idea...It seems most people focus on just one East Asian language, and not multiple. There's also groups for specific languages like French and Setswana. I could start a Japanese one.
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
svenska (B1)
한국어 (A2)
中文 (beginner)

On the back burner:
العَرَبِيَّة (beginner)

Maybe some other time:
Español (A2)
Български (A2)
ASL (A2)
Deutsch (beginner)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni) Hindi, Turkish, Tibetan, Farsi, Nepali, Urdu, Russian, Vietnamese, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Bengali
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8675

Postby Xelian » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Xenops wrote:
Christi wrote:

That's an interesting idea...It seems most people focus on just one East Asian language, and not multiple. There's also groups for specific languages like French and Setswana. I could start a Japanese one.

I still find this group to be useful, especially the resources post. Some of us do study multiple East Asian languages, so this is maybe more of a tribute/celebration of those who live with that struggle, while also being an open resource to others who only study one.

As for the demand for challenges and focusing on a specific topic, etc, it is a bit harder especially with all of us having our own lives to tend to. I think now that it's summer things might be able to pick up again!!!

On another note, I'm a little late on this one, but my goal for July (and a few months following that) is to study for the JLPT N2.
This summer I've been resurfacing my horrible Korean and learning some very basic Mandarin (which has been a lot of fun). Additionally, I watched a Japanese movie without subtitles and got the majority of what was happening, I've been learning some stray words, and I've been having short conversations in Japanese. The problem is the person who most often uses Japanese with me code switches Japanese and English and it's very frustrating to keep focused.... Code switching is quite a skill.

I hope everyone is having a good summer!
6 x
: 0 / 20 Time Until JLPT
: 48 / 1000 Japanese Book Pages

Return to “Study Groups”