German group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
gsbod
Green Belt
Languages: Native: English
Also speaks: German
Certificates: Japanese (JLPT N2)
Currently de-rusting: French
Dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Re: German group

Postby gsbod » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:29 pm

Good job I haven't yet donated my Begegnungen A1 book, because I just had to look it up! There is a bit more context to the exercise, it works as follows:

Johann studiert Chemie. Später ist er...
Marie studiert Jura. Später ist sie...

The goal of the exercise is to practice the use of masculine and feminine job titles.

I'd be interested to know how this feels to a native speaker too? It's not a sentence pattern I think I would use now.

On the whole though, the Begegnungen series is of good quality, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also, the fact that whilst the conjugated verb goes in 2nd position, you don't have to put the subject in 1st position, is a good one to start training early.
1 x

księżycowy
Orange Belt
Languages: Known: English (N), German (~A1), Polish (~A1), Japanese (~A1),
Learning: Irish, German, Polish
Academic Interests: Biblical Greek & Hebrew, Latin
Next Up: Sorbian, Northern Frisian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11281

Postby księżycowy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Yeah, I know the point was to drill occupations, I just can't help but have other questions as I go along. :lol:
0 x
Teach Yourself Irish (1961) : 9 / 27
Begegnungen A1+ : 2 / 8
First-Year Polish : 3 / 30

Doitsujin
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Kraut wrote:It's OK. [...] Später bin ich eine gute Mathelehrerin und bringe den Schülern schwierige Aufgaben bei.
IIn 30 Jahren bin ich vielleicht bereits Großvater.
I misunderstand the purpose of the drill. I thought the sentence were meant to teach student sentences that they can use to describe their future plans, which, IMHO, is better expressed by the example sentences that I've provided.

IMHO, your example sentences can only be used to describe a particular fantasy that a speaker has in mind, while my examples are used to describe definite plans for the future. (Of course, this is a matter of interpretation.)
1 x

AlOlaf
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), German
Learns: Danish, Norwegian

Postby AlOlaf » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:27 pm

Fans of the 1981 film Das Boot may find this German “making of” video interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWq6KBH9Eic
3 x
Corrections welcome!

DaveAgain
Blue Belt
Languages: Eng (n)

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:21 pm

15 minute Video discussing a study of people from the Tyrol who speak three languages to different degrees. Native Ladin, strong Italian, weaker English: Geist & Gehirn - Mehrsprachigkeit 11.

These people were examined in a scanner while using different languages. The stronger languages activated one side of the brain more than the weaker languages.
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”