Stefan's log [DE] [FR] [DK]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Stefan
Green Belt

Re: Stefan's log [DE] [FR] [DK]

Postby Stefan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:11 pm

Sankt Maik

I ended up watching the comedy show Sankt Maik on recommendation from Kat.

It's about Maik Schäfer, a charismatic con artist and thief that is mistaken for father Vicar Sanman when trying to escape a crime scene in the small town Läuterberg. He decides to embrace the role and end up helping people through somewhat unconventionally methods while simultaneously trying to come up with a heist to get the €50.000 his younger brother Kevin owes a criminal in Berlin. The local police Eva Hellwarth is constantly one step behind Maik but he can't help himself from developing feelings for her.

I thought it to be a very funny show and only about three of the episodes were fillers so most of the time the main story progressed without interfering with the weekly cases. All of the actors were great and the younger brother reminded me of Costa Papavassilou from Türkisch für Anfänger. At times I had difficulties following the dialog and I reckon I missed out on jokes here and there but it's possible that I'm just not used to following native comedy series without subtitles.

Overall I thought it to be good and I'm looking forward to season 2 which is scheduled for 2019.

Read more about it on Wikipedia.
3 x

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:29 am

I watched that show's trailer and it makes me want to learn German just to watch the show, because it just looked like so fun
1 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

Stefan
Green Belt

Postby Stefan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 pm

Fack ju Göhte

Zeki Müller is released from prison a year after a bank robbery only to find that they built a sports hall on top of the buried money. Despite having no education, he manages to get a job on the school as a substitute teacher with the plan to have access and dig when no one is around.

Fack ju Göhte became a huge success and was the most viewed film in 2013. Naturally is resulted in a second movie 2015 and even a third movie 2017 which seems to have had a great opening week, making it the best theatrical release in 2017. Viewers either hate it or love it.

Elyas M'Barek and Karoline Herfurth did a good job with their acting but the plot was all over the place. There's the obvious love story, a debt to a criminal, a random student competition (think School of Rock), social services, students trying to pass the final exam and a lot more. The humour is over the top and reminded me about a child friendly version of a random American highschool movie. I wished they had toned it down, removed most of the annoying students and focused a bit more on developing the main characters. I have no plans on watching the second movie.

2 x

Stefan
Green Belt

Postby Stefan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:50 am

Summary of 2018

Late summary but I reckon my future self would want it anyway.

The year went well up until August. I completed the splicing of Assimil Französisch ohne Mühe into correct audio files and was well ahead of my native media challenge. Then I bought a computer (first gaming PC in 13 years) and my language learning sort of dwindled.

With that said, I did watch more German media than previous years and I did progress with podcasts. I caught up with both Top-Thema and Slow German while incorporating Tageschau into my daily routine. I tried numerous other podcasts but besides the previously mentioned ones, Eine Stunde History is the only German one I listen to regularly.

I managed to get my hands on Babylon Berlin with matching subs and I did some research on setting up a private wiki. 6play.fr blocked my VPN so I never got subs for Tintin - Le lotus bleu and DR decided to geoblock all their YouTube channels around the same time. I made an attempt at resurrecting the German reading group but it failed so I completed the book by myself. Finally I purchased Tio lektioner i danska.

Stats

Hours watched

Danish: 6
English: 138
German: 119
Swedish: 3
Total: 268 hours

Pages read

English: 2696
German: 789
Swedish: 961
Total: 4446 pages

Takeaways from 2018

I seem to have a love–hate relationship with my Kindle. It's amazing technology to have all the books and built-in light in one small device. Unfortunately the software is severely lacking. If I look up a lot of words, it will crash and reboot every few minutes. My solution is to look up fewer words but I reckon it's not ideal for my language learning.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”