AlOlaf's Log (Danish/German/Norwegian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AlOlaf
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), German (C2)
Learns: Danish, Norwegian

Re: AlOlaf's Log (Danish/German/Norwegian)

Postby AlOlaf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:13 am

Philipp wrote:I’ve also seen the documentary about the Orderud case. It’s an intriguing story. For me, the people convicted seem too nice to be capable of committing such a horrible crime. But, I guess, you never know. NRK also has a podcast about the case it’s called Familiene på Orderud. You might also be interested in the mystery of the Isdalkvinne. It’s about a woman who was found dead near Bergen (Isdalen) in 1970 under suspicious circumstances. Until this day nobody knows who she was, but one theory is that she was a spy for a foreign power. There’s a podcast from NRK about the case called Gåten i Isdalen.

I’m inclined to agree with you about Per and Veronica seeming too nice to commit such a heinous crime themselves, but I can see them hiring somebody else to do it. This is, of course, pure conjecture, but if that’s in fact what they did, it would make sense that they kept silent even though it meant spending years in prison. Ratting out a professional killer (or killers) is seldom a good idea if you want to live long, especially in a country with a 21-year maximum prison sentence.

I watched “Gåten i Isdalen”, too. A team of experts strive to ascertain the identity of an international woman of mystery poisoned and set afire in the woods nearly half a century ago, with nothing to go on but her mandible. Now if that’s not entertainment, I don’t know what is.
1 x
Corrections welcome!

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:08 am

AlOlaf wrote:I watched “Gåten i Isdalen”, too. A team of experts strive to ascertain the identity of an international woman of mystery poisoned and set afire in the woods nearly half a century ago, with nothing to go on but her mandible. Now if that’s not entertainment, I don’t know what is.

I guess we have the same taste in TV :) . Please let me know if find another interesting documentary on NRK.
1 x
Corrections are welcome!

AlOlaf
Orange Belt

Postby AlOlaf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 pm

Philipp wrote:
AlOlaf wrote:I watched “Gåten i Isdalen”, too. A team of experts strive to ascertain the identity of an international woman of mystery poisoned and set afire in the woods nearly half a century ago, with nothing to go on but her mandible. Now if that’s not entertainment, I don’t know what is.

I guess we have the same taste in TV :) . Please let me know if find another interesting documentary on NRK.

Absolutely, and I hope you’ll do the same for me. By the way, I think I need to take a page out of your book and put “Corrections are welcome!” at the bottom of all my posts. How do you do that? I just noticed a glaring grammatical error in the last paragraph I wrote: “A team of experts” is singular, so it should have been “strives” instead of “strive”. Jeez. You’d think I’d be able to write in my native language by now.
0 x
Corrections welcome!

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:44 am

AlOlaf wrote:Absolutely, and I hope you’ll do the same for me. By the way, I think I need to take a page out of your book and put “Corrections are welcome!” at the bottom of all my posts. How do you do that? I just noticed a glaring grammatical error in the last paragraph I wrote: “A team of experts” is singular, so it should have been “strives” instead of “strive”. Jeez. You’d think I’d be able to write in my native language by now.

In the upper right corner, you can access your User Control Panel by clicking on your name. Then in the second tab (Profile) there is a button called Edit signature, where you can enter the text you want to appear under your posts. It took me a while to do it myself, but I think it encourages people to be less hesitant about giving corrections. I think "the team is" or "the team are" is a Zweifelsfall. (Can't think of a good translation for Zweifelsfall, but in this context the word always comes to my mind. Probably because of the Duden book Zweifelsfälle der deutschen Sprache). At least after over two decades of learning English, I'm still confused about it. :D
1 x
Corrections are welcome!

AlOlaf
Orange Belt

Postby AlOlaf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:48 pm

Hey, it worked! Thanks!
1 x
Corrections welcome!

Return to “Language logs”