Koolawant's Journey to C2 and Beyond

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
koolawant4
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (C1)

N2 certified, been slacking on N1 for years

Koolawant's Journey to C2 and Beyond

Postby koolawant4 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:08 am

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I posted. My old username was koolawant.

I forgot my password and unfortunately the password reset doesn't seem to be working for me. I tried to email the admins but I'm not sure it went through! So I created a new account.

I've done very little desk study and have been coasting here in Japan. My japanese is more than comfortable to work, live, and socialize in Japan. But I'm getting serious again because I want that N1! I passed N2 almost 5 years ago so I'm way overdue! Also, I find that lately I want to speak about more complex subjects with very fine shades of nuance. This (totally self-assessed) C1 level isn't cutting it.

My listening and speaking are far and away my best skills. Writing and reading comprehension (of non-fiction text) are my ugly stepchildren. I have vowed to sit the N1 this December come hell or high water. I'm confident on everything BUT my reading comprehension. It's so strange because I can read novels and completely follow the plot, and when I read the test materials I understand the words. Even when I did the practice exams I scored correct 90+ percent of the time (and it was a long prep book!) My brain is just being stubborn! I guess this means more reading is in order. Good thing I still have that lofty goal of 50k pages to read.

Anyway I'm going to update my flair on my reading progress. For fun I'll add something for my audible progress. Low expectations there. But audible in Japan is all you can listen for 15 bucks a month so...I mean it just feels wasteful not to take advantage of it.

Glad to be back!
12 x

koolawant4
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (C1)

N2 certified, been slacking on N1 for years

Re: Koolawant's Journey to C2 and Beyond

Postby koolawant4 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:50 am

Textbooks I've finished (n1 and beyond)
-完全マスター N1読解
-完全マスター N1文法

Textbooks I'm lazily working through
-完全マスター N1語彙

*By finish I mean cover to cover, all practice questions completed. If I work through the same book twice I'll add a multiplier (x2, x3)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”