Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Postby rdearman » Wed May 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Well 2 LE's down. The Italian lady I speak to had to pick up her friend and only had 30 minutes, so she made me speak in Italian and gave up her English time. This is something we've done before when if for some reason I am late I give up my time, or sometimes we split the difference. Anyway,, tonight she was in a car waiting for a friend she had to pickup and we just chatted for a little while and I didn't get a chance to push myself. I was generally OK and didn't have a problem with the conversation. We were not really stretching ourselves beyond basic chit-chat.

The second one, which I just completed was with the French lady who rarely attempts English. Today I managed to get 15 minutes out of her in English, so she is trying harder. The rest of the time was spent with me explaining my vacation plans next year and promising to visit as I drove past her house. Then we started talking about Japan (I was there for a couple of years) and why American dropped the atomic bombs. I have no idea how this topic came up, but not only did I have to dredge up my history lessons from school 40 years ago, I had to explain these ancient lessons in French. phew!

Brun Ugle wrote:Do you warm up before your language exchanges?

Sometimes. If I can warm up I normally try. One problem with an exchange night like tonight is both romance languages one after the other. This normally causes me some issues. But tonight it wasn't so bad. Like you say, my skill ebbs and wanes and tonight it was OK. I did watch a short video on YouTube from Le Monde in French, but I did this before the Italian lesson. Then I had a 30 minute break between where I watched a short cooking show in Italian before my French exchange. There is a possibility I'm doing this wrong. :)

Another fun day at the new job though. A couple of Chinese collegues arrived from Shanghi and I managed to mutilate a little of their language too. But I only have 3-4 stock phrases to draw on in Mandarin at the moment, so the mutilation didn't last long. :)
8 x
: 4 / 100 100 Italian paperbacks:
: 306 / 75000 Output Challenge 2019 (普通话写作):

Lollygagging Podcast available on iTunes

rdearman
Site Admin

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Postby rdearman » Thu May 16, 2019 7:15 pm

A quick update on another LE I had tonight. This one was little unplanned. Someone I haven't spoken to before wanted to speak with me. She was in Brighton and I though sure why not. Turns out she is attending a language school for English and has been learning English for a total of 1 month. :shock:

So she has some very basic English, and she does try but mostly the conversation was in Italian. She is very keen to speak weekly, which is fine by me, but I seem to have shifted from speaking to people who are probably C1/C2 in English to people who are A1/A2 in English. I am begining to understand why people were so happy to speak with me. They got lots of practice in the TL and I basically gave them an hour of practice. :D

I don't think it will take her long to pick up English, she is Brazilian, and taught herself Italian and Spanish. So she already knows how to learn a language. Seems she could get by in Spanish after only a few weeks, which makes sense I guess if you already know Portuguese and Italian.
9 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 pm

Tres Drole:

1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue May 21, 2019 9:09 pm

Had a LE in French tonight and three more tomorrow Italian x2 and French. Today my LE partner is a lovely woman who I've been speaking to for best part of a year now. So tonight I asked if she saw any difference since we started speaking. She said:

je pense qu'avant tu me faisais plus répéter ou traduire quand je parlais en français. cela veut dire que tu comprends mieux aujourd'hui (roughly: I think before you made me do more repetition or translate when I spoke French. it means that you understand better today)

So that is encouraging. I think it is true that my comprehension has gone up, although tonight I didn't think it was particulary good, but it goes up and down. I noticed last night while watching a mini-series in Italian which I've watched before that I could follow the conversation not because of the actions on screen, but because I understood most of the words they were using. So I think things are improving a little.

Having read Expug's log RE: Clozemaster I think I need to pick this back up again for all my languages and just vow to do 10-15 minutes each per day until it has become a habit. Might be easier said than done though.
5 x

Beli Tsar
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 am

Good to hear about your recent progress! And your language exchange schedule is impressive.
rdearman wrote:Having read Expug's log RE: Clozemaster I think I need to pick this back up again for all my languages and just vow to do 10-15 minutes each per day until it has become a habit. Might be easier said than done though.

This makes sense, especially seeing the improvements Expug has been posting about recently, but it would be interesting to hear a bit more about what you are hoping for from it. What areas are you hoping it will improve? What deficiencies in your learning will it help with?
0 x
: 7 / 20 Ancient Greek - Read 1,000,000 words
: 3 / 20 Routledge Basic Persian
: 11 / 20 Persian - 2000 words Memrise & Anki
: 16 / 20 Persian - Read 100,000 words

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed May 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Beli Tsar wrote:Good to hear about your recent progress! And your language exchange schedule is impressive.
rdearman wrote:Having read Expug's log RE: Clozemaster I think I need to pick this back up again for all my languages and just vow to do 10-15 minutes each per day until it has become a habit. Might be easier said than done though.

This makes sense, especially seeing the improvements Expug has been posting about recently, but it would be interesting to hear a bit more about what you are hoping for from it. What areas are you hoping it will improve? What deficiencies in your learning will it help with?

I have a couple of problems which aren't really being tackled at the moment. Grammar and Additional Vocabulary. I'm thinking that the text input (Cloze Sentences) would help me build vocabulary and the grammar exercises will help with sentence construction. My weakest skill in both languages is writing. So I know the word, but couldn't spell it to save my life, although Italian is easier in this regard. Before I started my current job I used clozemaster a lot for Mandarin and my written Mandarin vocabulary was improving quite a bit. I was also doing Scriptorium exercises where I was copying a Chinese fiction book onto paper. This was really helping with the character memorization. I don't really have a lot of time to pick this all back up, but I do have the odd 15-20 minutes to spend on Clozemaster in all three languages (Italian, French, Mandarin) so cycling through these would (in theory) boost my vocabulary acquisition and sentence construct knowledge.

So in a nutshell, more vocabulary, improved orthography, better grammatical structure.
6 x

Return to “Language logs”