Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
daveprine
White Belt
Languages: English (native speaker); working to maintain German, Spanish; now focusing on Esperanto, Cantonese, and K'iche' as well; adding many other languages to the list as I go...
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8921

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Postby daveprine » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:02 pm

rdearman wrote:
On a personal note, Dave posted episode 8 of our Lollygagging podcast, and I really need to take more editorial control of this! If you listen to it to the end you'll see what I mean. Talk about out of context!

But is it really out of context, Rick? Is it? Hmmm.....

Although even before reading this, I was tempted to use a line for the next one where you refer to something that rhymes with "hex toys," but decided not to use it in order to keep things borderline PG. But now, I'm wondering if I was being hasty in decision.

Besides, this is what keeps them listening til the end. (Or at least fast-forwarding to the end.)
1 x
This is my signature. Is it in English, or are you just really proficient in the language it's really in???

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Postby rdearman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:52 pm

OK. I had a go at this read for 24 hours out of 48 and I managed.... wait for it... wait for it.... 5 hours and 15 minutes. So, not so good. Still I did manage almost 6 hours so almost 25% of the target. Somehow I managed to rack up 7 language exchanges and one Chinese lesson this week. Also 4 LE's were during my 48 hours, so that ate of 4 hours of my time. I should be happy I managed 5 hours, but I did a couple of those in French so didn't get any nearer to completing my Italian book doing that. Still French is much easier for me to read than Italian.

I have also seemed to have tailed off on the 20 minutes of working on various languages, so I need to kick that back into gear. I've got 4 more LE scheduled already and a couple of people who want some of my time. Hopefully, I'll manage to fit some people in. But I do have a 4-5 hour round trip up north in the UK next week, so I'm planning to spend some time listening to a couple of audio books in either French or Italian. It really suck treading water in intermediate lake. :(
5 x
: 4 / 100 100 Italian paperbacks:
: 306 / 75000 Output Challenge 2019 (普通话写作):

Lollygagging Podcast available on iTunes

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:02 pm

I'm not happy with my new "spreadsheet tracking" system for hours on languages. Back when I was simply marking off a line line on a piece of paper was 20 minutes, I was doing more, this month I have only done 1 hour! I believe this was because the piece of paper was sitting on my desk and a constant reminder that I should be studying not doing other stuff. Now that it is on a spreadsheet, this unconscious reminder isn't there. So while the spreadsheet is quicker than counting all the marks and multiplying by 20 it doesn't have the same psychological drive that the paper had. I have not done very well with the 6WC and to be honest I've not got the motivation to do it. I was doing much better with the simple paper and pencil for motivation. gggrrrr. :evil:

LE's are ramping up again, even though I haven't gone out of my way to find them. However, the people that were doing them with me want regular weekly sessions. So I have 6 scheduled this week and it is people asking me, not me searching for them. I probably could have had about 8-9 LE's but I had to turn down a couple people this week because I will be out of two for two days. Had another session today with the French lady who doesn't like to speak English. Basically an hour of French practice for me. I keep trying to encourage her to speak in English but other than a few sentences she doesn't and continues in French. I'm wondering what she is actually getting out of these meetings. :?

One LE partner, an Italian fellow, said my vocabulary needed work and he was going to help me expand it. He feels this way because I was finding it difficult to explain in Italian how web-server load balancing and least cost telephone routing worked. Most people I know couldn't explain this in their own language let alone having a couple vocabulary gaps in a second language! :lol: Still it is great that he is determined to "get my vocabulary to a high level". One thing about doing LE's is once you find people who're determined to study, they also push you. I would like to say I feel that Italian fellows ideal of minimal vocabulary is a bit like the drunk test Steve Martin took. (See below)

I've been really disappointed in my progress reading my most recent book in Italian, I've only just managed to get to 20% of the book on my Kindle. However, after looking up the page count of the paperback I don't feel to bad, since 20% of a 462 page book is still 92 pages. I did a little experiment recently. I have a couple of books by the same author one in French and one in Italian. Different books but same author so the writing style/level should be about the same. I discovered after spot checking a couple of pages that I knew 96% of the words on the 5 pages of French I read. But I only knew 56% of the Italian words from 5 pages. I believe there are two reasons for this. The first is more cognates in French <-> English than with Italian <-> English, and I did 2 super challenges in French. So I have read a lot more French than Italian. Another thing I noticed was for a couple of words I didn't know in Italian, if I "sounded them out" I knew them. I just didn't recognise the written word immediately but if someone had said it I would have know straight-away. I think I might need to cram some vocabulary, or just read more.

Tomorrow is one of the days I am away, and I'm driving alone for 4-5 hours, so I'm planning to listen to an audiobook, but I don't know if I should do Italian or French. I might flip a coin. Although I did consider doing 5 hours of Pimsleur Mandarin, which would give me a better score on the 6WC.

3 x

IronMike
Brown Belt
Maintaining: Esperanto (C1 on the KER skriba exam) and Russian (2+/2+/3 on DLPT V in 2016)
Lapsed: BCS (2/3/2+ once upon a time...not that now!)
Future: Italian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:41 pm

Oh mein Gott, that movie...memories....
1 x
For a non-linguistic look at my life, check out my blog!

SC Esperanto films : 24 / 100
SC Esperanto books : 18 / 100
2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 40 / 365

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:51 am

Well the plan to listen to 5 hours of French or Italian in the car was a bust. I listened to 30 minutes then switched on Spotify and listened to music the rest of the trip. It was too difficult to drive to a strange place and actually undertand a second language the whole time. However, I took a trip to Brighton on Thursday night and because the wife drove I managed to listen to an hour of an Italian audiobook.

I've done 8 language exchanges this week even though I was travelling for 2 of the 5 days. I don't know how I seem to have gotten so many LE's but they'll have to get scaled back soon since I should be starting a new job shortly. I haven't had much opprotunity to study my textbooks so need to start again blocking out time each day for the apps, textbooks and other things. But if I'm commuting this becomes easier since that time is forced on to me. No need to schedule it.

My reading also dropped off after that stint of trying to read 24 out of 48 hours. If consistancy is the key to learning languages then I am well and truly screwed.
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:04 pm

rdearman wrote:If consistancy is the key to learning languages then I am well and truly screwed.

Hey, that's how I study! I make plans, hope for the best, but expect the worst. It will all even out in the long run.
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Forgive me, for I have sinned. It has been three days since my last confession.

Not a lot of work done on languages. Language exchanges seem to be sucking up all my study time, and I don't really feel like studying at the moment. I've done 5 LE's, 2 on Monday, 3 on Tuesday. But only two more scheduled, until next week so a bit of a break. My neighbour flew back from China where she is teaching English and brought me two books. One is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the other is a Harry Potter book. Charlie is just characters, but the Harry Potter is a parallel text with English <-> Mandarin. So although I swore blind I would never look at another Harry Potter book I might end up using this one. I still need to puzzle out how to use a Chinese dictionary if you don't have, or know the PinYin. So Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be a unused until I work that out.

While speaking with an Italian fellow he told me a quote from a famous French poet that made me laugh.
The French are just angry Italians. -- Jean Cocteau

I had another long drive today, but this time I did actually use Pimsleur Mandarin and did two hours. Which was about all I could take. So I switched over to music. I doubt I'm going to do well in this 6WC.
7 x

javier_getafe
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N)
English (B2)
Dabbling in french (A0) - Duolingo

Postby javier_getafe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:31 am

It is always a rest seeing than others fail on their study targets.
Or as I would say in spanish : "Mal de muchos consuelo de tontos"

:twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Super Challenge '19
: 8 / 100 100 books : 9 / 100 100 films
Output Challenge '19
: 4121 / 50000 50,000 words : 4 / 50 50 hours of recorded speech

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9857

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:54 am

You need to learn to find the radical and count the number of strokes. Characters are usually listed by radical and stroke count.
1 x
Output Challenge
: 2613 / 50000 Spanish writing:
: 159 / 3000 Spanish speaking:
: 1343 / 25000 German writing (half):
: 84 / 1500 German speaking (half):
Corrections welcome!

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:02 pm

Thanks to Brun Ugle I made an effort to actually figure out Chinese dictionaries. I discovered it is easier with an app and you can just "handwrite" the character and pick it from a list. This is a lot easier for me, so I think I'll stick to that for a little while. Meanwhile, I've managed to secure a new job. It requires me to stay in a hotel 4 nights a week for a year. So looks like I'll have a lot of study time on my hands in the evenings! Yes, that is the plan. Study, study, study! I've cancelled all my LE's and I'll most likely pick some of them up again, but in the evenings. I haven't had a lot of time for any study this week with all the stuff I've needed to do in order to get ready to start next week. I should hopefully start racking up some real hours on studying, not to mention the 4 hours per week in the car listening to Pimsleur. :)
4 x

Return to “Language logs”