Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2018 Les Voyageurs

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:53 am

I started a thread for a new language challenge which might answer some peoples' ideals for 2019 in studying consistently for the year and help achieve their Language New Year's resolutions, or just keep them accountable in studying more regularly. I'm not alone nor the first with the idea, so it's been a warm welcome for others with similar ideas for such a challenge. Links to the challenge have already been posted in a few spots, so I thought, how could I miss posting it here with my old French learning friends and best to do so now before the New Year begins!

Here's the link:
The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge
1 x

Carmody
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:29 am

A warm Holiday Greetings to everyone and most especially to tomgosse. Tom Goss is the man who started this Group about three years ago. He is also the person who painstakingly encouraged me with the course French In Action, which I finally did get through. And he helped me set up my French keyboard and countless other things that a Totally New Visitor like myself simply did not know. So thank you Tom for your persistent patience. I hope things are improving for you on the different medical fronts and that you have a wonder full Merry Christmas on January 7th. ;)
11 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:05 am

Carmody wrote:A warm Holiday Greetings to everyone and most especially to tomgosse. Tom Goss is the man who started this Group about three years ago. He is also the person who painstakingly encouraged me with the course French In Action, which I finally did get through. And he helped me set up my French keyboard and countless other things that a Totally New Visitor like myself simply did not know. So thank you Tom for your persistent patience. I hope things are improving for you on the different medical fronts and that you have a wonder full Merry Christmas on January 7th. ;)

Thank you Carmody. I'm glad that I was of help. I hope to be more active in the group this year.
10 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:27 pm

2019 commence ici.

Bonjour à tous,

J'espère que vous avez une bonne année. I hope to be more active in the group this year. One of the things I want to do is clean up the list of members. I haven't edited it in two years. The last time I did edit it I deleted anyone who had not checked into Language -Learners forum for six months. Most likely I will do the same in January 2019. Also, I haven't added new members in a very long time. If you would like to be added send me message. You do not need to be on that list to participate in the group. The only reason for the list is to let other members know that you are interested in learning French.

I have also joined Peter Mollenburg's 2019 365 day challenge. This should be interesting.

À bientôt,
Tom
5 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1 certified)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi everyone!

Has anyone here used any of the courses from Comme une Française? Usually I am wary of online courses, but I have been watching Geraldine's YouTube channel for awhile and it seems like she really loves teaching French. Her courses are not cheap but they don't seem overpriced either, especially her course Le Salon de Géraldine. Plus I feel like I need an extra boost to be able to understand and speak everyday French, especially the common slang and verlan. I'm just curious if anyone else has taken her courses or similar courses from other online teachers.
1 x

Carmody
Brown Belt
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:33 am

Just in case you are considering French citizenship https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1V2Y_OhMs
0 x

CompImp
Yellow Belt
Languages: EN

Postby CompImp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:07 pm

zjones wrote:Hi everyone!

Has anyone here used any of the courses from Comme une Française? Usually I am wary of online courses, but I have been watching Geraldine's YouTube channel for awhile and it seems like she really loves teaching French. Her courses are not cheap but they don't seem overpriced either, especially her course Le Salon de Géraldine. Plus I feel like I need an extra boost to be able to understand and speak everyday French, especially the common slang and verlan. I'm just curious if anyone else has taken her courses or similar courses from other online teachers.

Pretty much everything in spoken French has been covered by Fred Grun on his youtube channel 'the language geek'. Between his free stuff, her free stuff, and the wealth of information on the internet not to mention just listening closely to French speakers, it's all available for free. Fred Grun is a linguist and polyglot. And not that it should really matter, but i would expect Geraldine to have some teaching background. I can't find the information on whether she does or not but i certainly wouldn't pay good money to someone who simply speaks the target language and isn't into pedagogy. I don't believe languages can be 'taught' ie portable knowledge from one person to another, and certainly not when the person isn't a trained language teacher with vast experience and knowledge on pedagogical methodology. Maybe she is...but i can't find the info even on her own site. It just says she's 'passionate' about language. Sure. But her yearly charge is the price of an internet connection. Pricey.

Personally i would never pay anyone to learn a language. The real work goes into actually figuring out spoken French while you're hearing it from natives. Nobody can teach you that, you just have to put in the hard miles. You also need to know a good dozen or so thousand words at least.

If i wanted to know spoken French all over again, i would watch all of 'Norman's videos (they're mostly all subtitled) and all of the comedy troupes on youtube like Golden Moustache for example. If you listen closely and follow the subs you'll be able to work it out. They use most of the slang you'll hear.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:11 pm

CompImp wrote:Pretty much everything in spoken French has been covered by Fred Grun on his youtube channel 'the language geek'.

Unlikely to have covered everything related to French, he has only done about 10-20 videos. I don't believe he is a linguist. I remember he went to Bristol University for I believe he said economics? I used to watch his channel, but he hasn't put out anything for about 8-10 months.
1 x

CompImp
Yellow Belt
Languages: EN

Postby CompImp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:29 pm

rdearman wrote:
CompImp wrote:Pretty much everything in spoken French has been covered by Fred Grun on his youtube channel 'the language geek'.

Unlikely to have covered everything related to French, he has only done about 10-20 videos. I don't believe he is a linguist. I remember he went to Bristol University for I believe he said economics? I used to watch his channel, but he hasn't put out anything for about 8-10 months.

Ok...well let's just say he knows linguistics very well. Whether he needs the degree to call himself a linguist is up for debate i guess, but let's just call him a very good 'amateur' linguist.

And yeah he did cover pretty much everything in spoken French. There's not that much. He's obviously not going to cover every example sentence ever but he covers pretty much everything you'll hear a French speaker do - shortening of words, swallowing e's (like J'le / Je l'), slang, useful verbs and phrases, verlan...there's not a great deal else, really.

The main ones are the dropping of e's and merging words together. Once you've got that idea down the rest is about exposure, which nobody else can give to you - you have to go get it.

The biggest thing French learners do differently to native French speakers is use less reflexive verbs. It's hard to quantify or even prove, i've just noticed that English speakers writing and speaking French rarely use reflexive verbs whereas French people use them all the time. It's about how stuff is worded i guess.

Anyway, the point was you can either watch stuff like his channel for free or give Gezza your money for the same content even though she's potentially a layman in pedagogy and teaching.
0 x

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1 certified)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:40 pm

CompImp wrote:I can't find the information on whether she does or not but i certainly wouldn't pay good money to someone who simply speaks the target language and isn't into pedagogy.

Yeah, but I don't believe that someone needs to have a teaching degree to be a good teacher. If you believe that, it's fine, we disagree. I've had lessons from people who had a Masters in French, English, teaching and linguistics, and they were poor teachers. I've also had lessons from people without any degree and they were amazing. That's why I was asking if anyone else had taken any of her courses. I was looking for advice from someone who has already taken one of Geraldine's courses, not opinions on whether I should or shouldn't pay for content or courses.
4 x

Return to “Study Groups”