Snowflake's Mandarin Log - Continued

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
snowflake
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1292

Re: Snowflake's Mandarin Log - Continued

Postby snowflake » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:49 am

Checking in, not a lot to say….work, health, and motivation issues have resulted in not doing much. That said I find myself in another Mandarin speaking group that, like the other one, challenges my language skills. One of them sent a text, 我们看看有多少活再说。It took pouring over a dictionary to realize that she was using 活 to mean work. I'm working with this group on a specific project. Due to various circumstances, the project will be executed in English so they're accommodating my poor Mandarin skills.
3 x

snowflake
Orange Belt

Postby snowflake » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:04 am

I just returned from Taiwan and am recovering from jetlag. While there I talked with several people about my Mandarin. The native speakers felt that my speaking skills had improved. This was a surprise given that the people in my current local group tend to immediately switch to English when I pause to think about vocabulary or grammar. The end result is that I’ve had less speaking practice. It’s possible that the people in Taiwan are keying in on my replies generally being more automatic due to better listening comprehension. This trip I also found myself having to sometimes interpret for my group of American friends.

An American friend who lives in Taiwan felt the only way to really advance is to converse with someone whose English is pretty much non-existent.

Was talking there with someone who I thought said cuo4jue2 (错觉)for frustrated but now realize I heard wrong….they said cuo4zhe2 (挫折). This made me think about working on my own pronunciation, which coincided with the release of a new Outlier course. An US Taiwanese friend felt the sample lesson was “really good” though reminded me that I would still need to practice, practice, practice..... all along getting enough practice has been an issue for me.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:53 am

Do you do language exchanges via skype or other online system?
0 x
: 6 / 100 100 Italian paperbacks:
: 306 / 75000 Output Challenge 2019 (普通话写作):

Lollygagging Podcast available on iTunes

snowflake
Orange Belt

Postby snowflake » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:39 am

rdearman wrote:Do you do language exchanges via skype or other online system?

Yes, though those are erratic due to schedule....real life gets in the way.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”