Snowflake's Mandarin Log - Continued

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
snowflake
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1292

Re: Snowflake's Mandarin Log - Continued

Postby snowflake » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:09 am

It’s pretty common for me to have motivation issues “studying” Mandarin. There are various aspects of Chinese culture which I really dislike and encountering those can be very demotivating. There is a woman at my current group who embodies a decent number of those. I have to interact with her and the episodes are draining me, guess the term is energy vampire. I finished the 2nd set in the MOOC intermediate Chinese, started the 3rd and have no energy to continue. I also am enrolled in Outlier’s “Chinese Character Masterclass” and haven’t set up my account. It’s time to buy tickets to Taiwan and I’ve looked at the dates and cost but haven’t actually purchased the tickets. Unsure what else to say right now.
1 x

snowflake
Orange Belt

Postby snowflake » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:53 pm

So I booked the tickets to Taiwan and have started back with the MOOC course. There are times the course is a little boring but with the varying vocabulary, my grammar weaknesses being pointed out, and the gentle pace, it overall has been a good experience. It’s making me think about trying to again work through “David and Helen in China” but being less of a slave to the answer key which drove me nuts (difference exercise sequence and numbering system) and instead relying more on my friends. Then wondered since I’m focusing more on mainland usage, maybe use a textbook specifically oriented toward that? After this MOOC course, there’s a wrap up course for the series so working with a text book would probably be in the fall.

I still haven’t set up my account for the Outlier Chinese character course.

Talked with a Mandarin speaking friend about the energy vampire at my local Chinese group…The friend agreed that the woman’s behavior is typical enough and advised I avoid her as much as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An exercise some Chinese learners might be interested in......how to say in Mandarin; "Social media has changed the way we see the world but nothing has changed the reality and physics of human error," he said. "So we can't let social media drive decisions about reality." The quote is from a news article about the recent plane crash in Ethiopia.

From a northeasterner; 社交媒体改变了我们看世界的方式,但事实和人为错误的现象是没法丝毫改变的。他说。所以我们不能让对于事实的结论被社交媒体左右。

From a couple where one is from Beijing, the other from Shanghai;
(1)社交媒体虽然改变了我们观察世界的方式但并不能改变人类错误实质,他说,因此我们不能让社交媒体来决定我们对(世界)实质的看法。
(2)社交媒体的普及改变了我们看世界的角度,但人们在现实世界中会犯错却是个社交媒体不能改变的基本事实。所以当我们面对真实的情况,要做现实的决策之际,不该被社交媒体的意见所左右。

From a Taiwanese person; 他說:社群媒體改變了我們看世界的方式,但無法改變人為疏失的事實。所以我們不能讓社群媒體駕馭關於事實的決定。
1 x

ロータス
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (HSK 2/TOCFL 1), Korean (Beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8177

Postby ロータス » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:19 pm

snowflake wrote:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An exercise some Chinese learners might be interested in......how to say in Mandarin; "Social media has changed the way we see the world but nothing has changed the reality and physics of human error," he said. "So we can't let social media drive decisions about reality." The quote is from a news article about the recent plane crash in Ethiopia.

From a northeasterner; 社交媒体改变了我们看世界的方式,但事实和人为错误的现象是没法丝毫改变的。他说。所以我们不能让对于事实的结论被社交媒体左右。

From a couple where one is from Beijing, the other from Shanghai;
(1)社交媒体虽然改变了我们观察世界的方式但并不能改变人类错误实质,他说,因此我们不能让社交媒体来决定我们对(世界)实质的看法。
(2)社交媒体的普及改变了我们看世界的角度,但人们在现实世界中会犯错却是个社交媒体不能改变的基本事实。所以当我们面对真实的情况,要做现实的决策之际,不该被社交媒体的意见所左右。

From a Taiwanese person; 他說:社群媒體改變了我們看世界的方式,但無法改變人為疏失的事實。所以我們不能讓社群媒體駕馭關於事實的決定。

A corrected version of what I wrote; 我們對世界和電視媒體的看法已經改變了。但真相是電視媒體改變不了物理定律 也避免不了 人會犯錯。所以那個人警告我們 必須不讓電視媒體的看法影響我們所做的決定與計畫。
Going to talk with someone else about the corrected version of what I wrote as what's expressed is different than what was intended. The person who corrected it didn't understand the original English.

I understand the one from Beijing more than the one from the north easterner. Thanks for posting exercise, makes me hopeful for when I start reading more than just children's stories.
0 x
Reading in one language | Learn by Reading
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

Wurstmann
White Belt
Languages: German (N), Mandarin (intermediate?)

Postby Wurstmann » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:44 am

snowflake wrote:It’s pretty common for me to have motivation issues “studying” Mandarin. There are various aspects of Chinese culture which I really dislike and encountering those can be very demotivating. There is a woman at my current group who embodies a decent number of those. I have to interact with her and the episodes are draining me, guess the term is energy vampire. I finished the 2nd set in the MOOC intermediate Chinese, started the 3rd and have no energy to continue. I also am enrolled in Outlier’s “Chinese Character Masterclass” and haven’t set up my account. It’s time to buy tickets to Taiwan and I’ve looked at the dates and cost but haven’t actually purchased the tickets. Unsure what else to say right now.

I don't get why you still 'study' Chinese. For me that would be way too boring. Watching lots of TV, reading books and maybe doing some Anki should be enough at this point.
0 x

snowflake
Orange Belt

Postby snowflake » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:09 pm

I've started watching the Australian production of "The New Legends of Monkey" on Netflix.

ロータス wrote:I understand the one from Beijing more than the one from the north easterner. Thanks for posting exercise, makes me hopeful for when I start reading more than just children's stories.

My current group has a number of people who identify themselves as northeasterners. I was at a Chinese New Year dinner with some of them where they mentioned that southerners are quite different. Of course I don't understand what those distinctions may be. I only know that my prior group had a good number of people who identified themselves as southerners and that this current groups' usage seems quite different. I asked my overseas Taiwanese chat partner about some of the phrases people in this group have used. The ones I showed him were spoken venacular, not colloquialisms, and not slang, but venacular speech which isn't taught.

Wurstmann wrote:I don't get why you still 'study' Chinese. For me that would be way too boring. Watching lots of TV, reading books and maybe doing some Anki should be enough at this point.

The value for me in taking a class or using a standard textbook is predominantly in identifying gaps. Since there are CEFR, HSK, TOCFL levels, etc there's value in "going back" to see what I "should know". A corollary is getting a sense of what my level may be. Anyhow, some friends have suggested that I enroll in classes which are conducted in Mandarin. I’m hesitant to even try that until after making it through an advanced textbook or advanced curriculum.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”