Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's 2020 IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:19 pm

Italian:
Memrise/Speechling
Reading: Durante by Andrea De Carlo <-- 17%
Reading: Vivere in zona by Aronne & Memo Romano <-- 9%
Reading: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli <-- 10%
italki teacher: one hour session
Recorded: 72 mins

Not much happening with Italian outside of the usual reading. A little bit of recording and Speechling. During they hour with my italki teacher I spent part of the time telling her about the last book I finished. It was not easy to explain what was happening with the 10+ characters in the book but she said I did pretty well and she only got confused a couple of times. I was able to clarify by rewording. This feels like progress.

Portuguese:
Memrise
PT Lab: Living Dialogues #6-7; Clear Pronunciation

I did two more Living Dialogues which covered when you don't understand and how to address someone (formal vs informal). When you don't understand was about how to ask questions in a polite way like asking someone their name or saying you can't hear them. That type of thing. Addressing someone was about when to use form vs informal in a little more detail than what is typically taught. The audio is between Susana and a man ... I don't know his name. They talked about how você isn't much used in Portugal but also when one might use it. They finally mentioned that personal pronouns aren't always needed in Portuguese (just like Italian) unless for emphasis or to be clear if something is ambiguous. In the regular lessons this was never mentioned and I had wondered about it. Now I know.

For the Clear Pronuncation module I did the exercises for the vowel sounds that i learned last week and then did the consonant sounds. There are 20 different consonant sounds which include:

6 voiceless (bilabial, labiodental, dental, alveolar, postalveolar palatal, velar)
11 voiced oral (bilabial, labiodental, dental, alveolar, postalveolar palatal, velar)
3 voiced nasal ((bilabial, alveolar, postalveolar palatal)

I don't think I've ever seen sounds broken down like this and I'm finding it pretty helpful. For each of the sounds there are drills with up to 10 words per sound.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Re: Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:45 pm

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
Kwiziq: A1 lessons/quizzes
Assimil: Dialogs 10-11
MHzChoice: Le sang de la vigne S5E1 (92 mins)
Wrote: 404 words

I only managed two dialogs this week. My bad internet again thwarted me. MHz Choice just got the last season of Le sang de la vigne so I watched that.

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster/Speechling
Reading: Café in Berlin by André Klein <-- 43%
MHz Choice: Brunetti S1E15 (88 mins)
Nico's Weg: #7.1-2 Days and Times
Assimil German: Dialogs 33-38
German Verb Drills: Exercises 26-33
Wrote: 751 words

I did only three new Assimil dialogs and reviewed two which I again mined for sentences to use in Speechling. The most recent German Verb Drills covered more present perfect and then end of chapter review of imperative and future.

Now that I have been using Assimil for a number of weeks the one thing I like about it is that the dialogs are sometimes amusing. Much different than what you usually get in beginner materials. But whether or not this actually "works" ... I'm not convinced. I don't see it as working any better than other sources though I do find the audio in every session is a definite plus for my pronunciation based on Speechling feedback. My reason for reviewing was to mine sentences for Speechling but I think I'll do the same thing with French once I get past dialog #20.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:08 am

lingua wrote:Now that I have been using Assimil for a number of weeks the one thing I like about it is that the dialogs are sometimes amusing. Much different than what you usually get in beginner materials. But whether or not this actually "works" ... I'm not convinced. I don't see it as working any better than other sources though I do find the audio in every session is a definite plus for my pronunciation based on Speechling feedback.
I think the great strength of Assimil's courses is that it's so easy to make them a daily habit.
2 x

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:07 pm

Latin
Memrise/Clozemaster
Lingua Latina Per se Illustrata Pars 1 Familia Romana by Hans Ørberg
Exercitia Latina I: Exercises for Familia Romana (Lingua Latina) by Hans Ørberg
Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata: Teachers' Materials & Answer Keys by Hans Ørberg
Lingua Latina A companion to Familia Romana by Jeanne Marie Neumann

I only managed to do Memrise and Clozemaster this past week. By the time I completed Piedmontese and Sicilian yesterday my hand was ready to fall off from doing so much writing. Next Sunday I will start with Latin first.

Piedmontese:
Clozemaster
Assimil Il piemontese in tasca
Il piccolo Principe / Ël Cit Prinsi

I started reading Assimil and Il piccolo Principe / Ël Cit Prinsi . Using a notebook, I began the latter book by writing each Italian word or phrase (whatever makes sense) in one one column and Piedmontese in another. I'll add English into a third column if I encounter any unknown Italian words though at this point I haven't and don't expect there to be many. Even though this book seems to be well known by others on this site I know nothing about it so if I get to a point where I'm not seeing any new Piedmontese words I'll probably stop this exercise and switch to pure reading.

For Assimil I read part of the intro about the language and various dialects within the language as well as the influence of Occitan, Italian, French and other languages within the same sub families.

Sicilian:
Memrise
Beginners Siclian by Joseph Privitera - Chapter 8

I read Chapter 8 and did all of the exercises. The dialog was about traveling along the road and the grammar covered indefinite adjectives & pronouns, conjunctions and prepositions. This grammar section was longer than the prior chapters and I hadn't put most of it in Memrise so after writing everything down which was nearly six pages I entered it all. This is partly why my hand was hurting. I don't usually spend this much time writing but I feel it works better to write things manually than writing them via computer. As I'm writing them I'm also saying them. Next up is Chapter 9.

For me Sicilian often feels like misspelled Italian. So much of it is that close. But then I feel like I'm insulting the language by saying this and that's not my intention at all.
7 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:47 pm

Italian:
Memrise/Speechling
GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana by Marco Mezzadri <-- #1
GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana (esercizi supplementari) by Mezzadri and Pederzani <-- #1
Reading: Durante by Andrea De Carlo <-- 26%
Reading: Vivere in zona by Aronne & Memo Romano <-- 28%
Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli <-- 12%
Recorded: 25 mins

More reading and a tiny bit of Speechling. I've started back with the Grammatica pratica ... book and supplement. I completed Unit #1 in both books which covers essere e avere: presente indicativo. There are 60 units total and my goal is to complete them by the end of 2021. These books cover A1-C1. I got up to I think #8 last year but then stopped for who knows what reason. I expect the early units to be easy and at some point progressively harder. When I did this last year it seemed there was some emphasis on irregularities of the language There is audio online for some of the exercises but I never did any and probably won't since my goal here is to perfect my grammar and I will get audio elsewhere.

Portuguese:
Memrise
PT Lab: Living Dialogues #8-10; Clear Pronunciation

I did three more Living Dialogues: at the market, at the restaurant and at the coffee shop. They covered things in depth like how to order, ask for your bill, how much something costs and so on.

I completed the Clear Pronuncation course. The module included pronunciation for Portuguese Cities, Common First Names and Common Last Names. Last part was on The Mystery of the Disappearing Letters with examples of phrases that lose letters. Since the site owner/teacher lives in Lisboa it was geared towards their way of speaking. But Susana pointed out that other areas of Portugual may do it differently. I enjoyed this entire pronunciation module and found it super helpful. If you're interested in the European accent I think it is well worth paying for one month just to listen to this course. I expect to review it at some point in the future to make sure I am not creating any bad habits.

I finally paid for a full year of PT Lab which gives me 12 months for the price of 10. I had intended to do this a long time ago but kept forgetting. I'd like to complete everything on the site by then.
7 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:22 pm

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
Kwiziq: A1 lessons/quizzes
Assimil: Dialogs 11-13
MHzChoice: Le sang de la vigne S5E2 (93 mins)
Wrote: 394 words

Again only two dialogs this week. Also, watched another episode of Le sang de la vigne and did the usual Memrise/Clozemaster.

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster/Speechling
Reading: Café in Berlin by André Klein <-- 43%
MHz Choice: Brunetti S1E16 (89 mins)
Nico's Weg: #7.3-7.4 Days and Times
Assimil German: Dialogs 39-40
German Verb Drills: Exercises 34-35
Wrote: 431 words

I only managed two new Assimil dialogs and reviewed one. I finished up #7 of Nico's Weg covering days of week, time of day and order of doing things. Part 2 of German Verb Drills completed the chapter review of the present perfect tense. I was surprised at how little I did with German this week. It felt like more. I need to try a little harder to do Assimil most days.

I'm starting to doubt that SRS is a good use of my time. I don't know if it's because I'm doing too many languages or just due to general aging but I feel like my memory is worsening in recent months. I remember most of the German nouns that I learn but can't seem to remember the genders. It's a crap shoot if I get them right in Memrise. I'm not sure how to make them stick. Maybe more writing. I never did SRS with Italian. Instead I did a lot of writing the nouns with gender over and over again until I got them right. Overall I believe I spent far less time on that aspect of the language. It helps that the genders are more easily guessed by ending in some cases.

I can see that with German I'm going to be able to read without problems because the gender isn't an impediment to understanding. But writing or speaking is going to be an ongoing challenge. At the same time, there's no language I want to give up on even temporarily. I realize it would probably help to have more time to focus on fewer languages. I have no solution other than continuing to plug away.
8 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:45 am

I've done no studying since my last update. Instead I've been binge reading and watching film. I now have my Romance Family and German SC film portion over the half way mark. Italian reading SC will also be over the half way mark once I finish two of my current books which I'm trying to do by the end of the year. I'm at about 60% for both of them. I finally finished my first German book ... a silly reader. You can barely see the blip on the bar. I've started the second one in the series as well as a cookbook for kids that I bought because I thought it might be somewhat easy. I'm doing it the painful way. One recipe at a time looking up words. I imagine that it will get easier as I learn cooking terms. This is my experiment in not doing much SRS for a while. Last, I've been bingeing on Italian podcasts as that part of the SC portion is way behind.

My only goal for 2021 is to fill the bars in my signature. All of them. I'm going to attempt to change my habits and do the writing and and recording of the languages first followed by grammar, etc.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:24 pm

End of year wrap-up. I've done nothing with Latin, Piedmontese, Portuguese or Sicilian since my last updates.

French:
-MHzChoice: Le sang de la vigne S5E3-4 (179 mins)
-MHzChoice: Meurtres en … S3E1-6 (562 mins)
-MHzChoice: Les Secrets S1E1-3 (146 mins)

I don't know if I'll continue with Meurtres en ... as the third season has become darker with some violence that wasn't there during the first two seasons. Les Secrets was a short mini-series. A man commits suicide but his wife is skeptical due to some letters she finds so decides to investigate. Not particularly good.

German:
-Reading: Ferien in Frankfurt by André Klein 23%
-Reading: Kochen und backen mit der Maus 2%
-MHz Choice: Brunetti S1E17-18 (173 mins)
-MHz Choice: Der Kommmissar und das Meer S1E3-6 & S2E1 (442 mins)
-Recorded: 11 mins

I completed the last Brunetti episode on MHz Choice. Evidently there are a total of 24 episodes but they don't have the the rest of them and I didn't like the last two anyway so I probably won't watch anymore if they ever get them.

Italian:
-MHz Choice: La porta rossa S1E1 (49 mins)
-Grammer: GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana by Marco Mezzadri Ex #2
-Grammer: GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana (esercizi supplementari) by Mezzadri and Pederzani Ex #2
-Reading: Vivere in zona by Aronne & Memo Romano 71%
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli 17%
-Recorded: 27 mins
-MHz Choice: La porta rossa S1E1 (49 mins)
-Podcast: Di Wine Taste (52 mins)
-Podcast: La bufala in tavola (565 mins)

I completed Durante which I'll review separately but haven't yet decided what to read next. I may take a break from De Carlo and read the Rocco Schiavone book that I purchased earlier this year but have put off reading. La porta rossa is a new series on MHz Choice and is about a detective who is killed but chooses to stay on earth rather than going to the afterlife :roll: so he is trying to solve his own murder with the help of a young women who happens to be the only one that can see him. It's a short series so I'll probably finish it up this month

I started binge listening to La bufala in tavola because I'm so behind on my film/audio portion of the Italian SC. MHz Choice hasn't much that I want to watch and my all region dvd player has been acting up so I'll probably need to buy a new one so I can watch my many dozens of Italian movies. I hadn't listened to La bufala in tavola for over a year and found it very easy to understand. I still don't like the annoying host who interrupts her guests too frequently and has nothing of interest to add to the conversation. But the topics are related to food, diet, health and such so on the whole I enjoy it.

I did exercise #2 in both the grammatica practica books which covered la forma interrogativa e la forma negativa. Quite easy.

I've cleared out my Output challenge counters for 2021. I'll be attempting to do more writing/recording of French, German, Italian & Portuguese. I will also try to find some easier podcasts to listen to for French, German & Portuguese. Planning to find a cookbook to use as my first French book. I have already started a Portuguese one and need to spend more time with it. I'll be doing less Italian reading as the year progresses so I can spend more time reading the other languages.
8 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:42 pm

I'm not exactly starting off the new year on a positive note. Yesterday I tried to work with my three Sunday languages and didn't get far as they all require a lot of writing by hand and the colder weather along with hand overuse makes writing painful. This has been a recurring problem over the years so once again I need to work on improving my ergonomics and look into getting a space heater so my hand isn't so cold as that seems to aggravate the situation even more. I've used a compression glove in the past which helped so I will get another one.

Latin
Memrise/Clozemaster
Lingua Latina Per se Illustrata Pars 1 Familia Romana by Hans Ørberg
Exercitia Latina I: Exercises for Familia Romana (Lingua Latina) by Hans Ørberg
Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata: Teachers' Materials & Answer Keys by Hans Ørberg
Lingua Latina A companion to Familia Romana by Jeanne Marie Neumann

I started off with the Pensvm A-B of Chapter 2. I made a lot of errors with Pensvm B so I need to review the grammar again. My little break seems to have caused me to forget things. I did return to Closemaster/Memrise over the past week.

Piedmontese:
Clozemaster
Assimil Il piemontese in tasca
Il piccolo Principe / Ël Cit Prinsi

I continued with reading Assimil and did a little bit of Clozemaster. This is still part of the introduction to Piemontese and part of it was talking about some regional variations and historical information on the language. I ended up rereading some of it from last time because I didn't make note of where I had stopped. The downside of manual books.

Sicilian:
Memrise
Beginners Siclian by Joseph Privitera

Nothing except Memrise.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 pm

Italian:
-SRS
-Grammer: GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana by Marco Mezzadri Ex #3
-Grammer: GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana (esercizi supplementari) by Mezzadri & Pederzani (nothing)
-Reading: Vivere in zona by Aronne & Memo Romano 84%
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli 21%
-Recorded: 17 mins
-Podcast: La bufala in tavola (87 mins)
-Wrote: 54 words

I originally was going to do a double Italian SC but decided to only do a single one because it will leave me more time available for reading in the other languages. That makes my reading portion just about done. I'll still continue to read in Italian but probably only one book at a time instead of two or three. I did #3 in the grammatica pratica book but still need to do #3 in the supplementary book. This covered il presente dei verbi regolari which naturally presented no difficulties.

I completed Durante by Andrea De Carlo last week. Pietro and Astrid are weavers in the hills of the Marche region. Durante shows up in town one day. He teaches horse riding lessons. The women in town are attracted to Durante and find him charming while the men dislike him. Pietro (the narrator in the book) is jealous of him but they end up taking a road trip together (Durante invites himself along) and after a few adventures starts to change his view of both Durante and the world. There's also some conflict between Pietro and Astrid which doesn't get resolved in the book but it's pretty clear how things will end unlike the last book of his I read. As usual I liked the writing but none of these characters are likeable.

durante.jpg

Portuguese:
-Memrise
-PT Lab: Living Dialogues #11-12; Consolidate Portuguese #1
-rtp.pt: Ingrediente Secreto E11-13 (75 mins)
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções E1 (25 mins)
-Wrote: 84 words

I did two more Living Dialogues: on the street and at the station which covered things like buying tickets and getting directions in depth. Consolidate Portuguese is a new course on the site and It focuses on listening/comprehension skills to do prior to starting the B1 course. The idea is to listen to a dialog several times, then read the transcript, then listen again while reading the transcript and finally listening only again. I did the first one and it wasn't easy since there were quite a few unknown words but by the time I got to the end I had remembered enough of the new vocabulary that my comprehension improved.

I completed the season of Ingrediente Secreto. The secret ingredients were olive oil, medronho and scallops. I couldn't find a good translation for medronho. It seems to a fruit that is similar to a wild strawberry but is yellow inside instead of red. It is also used to make a type of brandy. He used both the fruit and the spirit in the recipes. The same chef has another series on rtp.pt called Manual de Instruçõe which is a series of "chapters" in each episode and shows how to make something. I rather like it and look forward to the rest of the episodes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”