שִׁבֹּלֶת - A Biblical Hebrew & Castilian Spanish

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

שִׁבֹּלֶת - A Biblical Hebrew & Castilian Spanish

Postby Deinonysus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:22 pm

I was working on Ancient Greek for a while and really enjoying it. I guess I have a thing for ancient/classical languages. In particular, I noticed that since I was using my best approximation of reconstructed pronunciation, which makes the writing system quite phonetic (especially in Epic Greek, which which was missing some sound changes that would eventually happen in Classical Athens), I was able to remember how words were spelled very accurately. And I realized that I could do the same for Hebrew!

Hebrew is a high priority but low motivation language for me, so my general policy is to drop whatever I'm doing and study it whenever I have the motivation to work on it. I only ever studied Modern Hebrew before, but I get very frustrated trying to learn Hebrew spelling due to many sound mergers. I've considered ditching Modern Hebrew for Biblical before, but the general advice I've heard has been to learn Modern Hebrew first because it's a living language. That may be good advice in general, but I think that for me it makes more sense for me to start with Biblical Hebrew because of my high interest in ancient texts and reconstructed phonologies, so after my positive experience with Ancient Greek I decided to go for it.

The main learning resource I'm using is The First Hebrew Primer: The Adult Beginner's Path to Biblical Hebrew, Third Edition by Simon, Resnikoff, and Motzkin. It seems well regarded and I like that it starts you with easy stories that are translated into Biblical Hebrew, moves on to an abidged version of the book of Ruth, and I believe I heard somewhere that by the end of the book it will stop abridging Ruth. When I'm done with this book, I'll probably want to move on to a more advanced text.

That book does not attempt to teach reconstructed Biblical or even traditional Tiberian pronunciation but instead teaches standard Modern Hebrew pronunciation, so I am using a couple of extra resources in my attempt to use a decent reconstructed pronunciation:

Phonology and Morphology of Biblical Hebrew by Joshua Blau
"Ancient Hebrew Phonology" (a chapter by Gary Rendsburg from the book Phonologies of Asia and Africa)

Blau gives a set of standard pronunciations for Biblical Hebrew that I really like, because every letter (or letter variant that is clearly marked in pointed text) has a unique pronunciation, so if I learn the pronunciation, I will always know the spelling, with the exception that it isn't always obvious when to put in a consonant that represents a vowel (although I'm sure I'll get used to the patterns).
ConsonantClassical IPAModern IPAHebrew nameModern name pronunciation
אʔ(silent)אָלֶףalef
בּbbבֵּיתbet
בvvבֵיתvet
גּggגּימֵלgimel
גɣgגִימֵל
דּddדָּלֶתdaled
דðdדָלֶת
הhhהֵאhe
וwvוָוvav
זzzזַיִןzayin
חħxחֵיתkhet
טt’tטֵיתtet
יjjיוֹדyud
כּkkכָּףkaf
כxxכָףkhaf
לllלָמֶדlamed
מmmמֵםmem
נnnנוּןnun
סssסָמֶךsamekh
עʕ(silent)עַיִןayin
פּppפֵּאpe
פffפֵאfe
צs’tsצַדִיtsadi
קk’*kקוֹףkuf
רrʁרֵישׁresh
שׁʃʃשִׁיןshin
שׂɬsשִׂיןsin
תּttתָּוtaf
תθtתָו
*Rendsburg and Blau disagree on the pronunciation of ק. Blau said ק would have been the voiceless uvular plosive /q/. Rendsburg does also refer to it as /q/, but says that it was velar, which would be /k/ rather than /q/. Since Blau said that the ancient Hebrew emphatics did not distort the vowels, and /q/ generally does distort vowels, I will go with /k’/ instead of /q/ or /q’/.

And here are the vowels... probably. Nobody was nice enough to start marking exact vowels until the middle ages AD, so no idea if this was how they were actually pronounced during the classical period. They did start using consonants to represent some vowels at some point during the classical period, but each consonant symbol could represent one of two or more different vowels. (Alef is used as a dummy consonant below):
vowelClassical IPA
אְə̆
אֱε̆
אֲă
אֳɔ̆
אִi(ː)
אֵe(ː)
אֶε(ː)
אַa(ː)
אָɔ(ː)
אֹo(ː)
אֻu(ː)

Blau's set of consonant pronunciations isn't necessarily exactly how all Biblical Hebrew was written. The Hebrew in the Bible reflects language that came from a range of at least 800 years, so phonemes would have come and gone over the course of the text, and for other letters may have had one sound or another and the best we can do is an educated guess. Here are some examples:
  • The letter שׂ (sin) originally had a value of /ɬ/ (as in the "ll" sound in Welsh), but would have probably merged with ס (samekh) by the end of the Biblical period, so both would sound like /s/.
  • There are two letters, ח (khet) and ע (ayin) that we know used to have two different pronunciations because they were each pronounced two different ways because they were transliterated two different ways into the Greek septuagint. For example, ע generally has the value of /ʕ/, but some words starting with ע were transliterated into Greek with a gamma so they would have had a sound that was similar to /ɣ/. For example, Gomorrah and Gaza were both spelled with an ע but transliterated into Greek with a gamma. Other than place names, there's no way of knowing which value of ע to use and the gamma sound was merged into the normal /ʕ/ sound by the time the נְקֻדּוֹת (nekudot, meaning diacritic marks for vowels and other pronunciation distinctions) were added in the middle ages, so there is no mark to distinguish between the different versions. The alternate pronunciation of ח would have been something like /x/.
  • "Soft" (fricative) versions of the plain stops probably arose at some point during the classical era, but estimates vary wildly as to exactly when. Three of these fricatives survive in Modern Hebrew: /f/, /v/, and /x/. Ashkenazi Hebrew preserves the split between the hard and soft ת, but they have it as /s/ instead of /θ/.
  • The labial fricatives could have been bilabial or labiodental, but Blau leans towards labiodental like in English.
  • The emphatics could have been pharyngialized like in Arabic or ejective like in Amharic, but Blau thinks they were most likely ejective because if they were pharyngialized that would have messed with the surrounding vowels, and that doesn't seem to have happened.
I'm also planning on doing a bit of Pimsleur Levantine Arabic. The purpose is to get comfortable with the pharyngial fricatives /ħ/ and /ʕ/, be able to pronounce them naturally and get used to how they change the vowels around them. Gaining some ability in Arabic isn't my main goal but would be cool. I'm not planning on learning the Arabic writing system or MSA at this time. Just going over Levantine Arabic phonology with FSI drills, not really learning the language itself.

By the way, the Hebrew word in the title is "shibboleth".
Last edited by Deinonysus on Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
6 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Re: שִׁבֹּלֶת - A Biblical Hebrew Log (also dabbling in spoken Levantine Arabic)

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:07 pm

My reconstructed pronunciation is already drawing rave reviews!

"That's creepy, please stop that." - Mrs. Deinonysus
[Babbling noises] - Baby Deinonysus
"I'm going to have to ask you to leave." - McDonald's manager

This video has been very helpful for the pronunciation of ע (pronounced ayin in Hebrew and means "eye", same pronunciation and meaning in Arabic but looks like a "3"):

I've been putting vocabulary from a chapter ahead into Anki. It takes a couple of days to sink in and that way I know the vocabulary by the time I get to the lesson. I know most of the words already from modern Hebrew, but the pronunciation can be quite different.

I'm already working on the vocabulary for chapter six. I skipped the first three chapters because they just teach the alef-bet and vowels marks, which I already know. But that's cool, it makes me feel like I've made way more progress than I actually have!
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: שִׁבֹּלֶת - A Biblical Hebrew Log (also dabbling in spoken Levantine Arabic)

Postby aokoye » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:14 pm

I will be watching this log very closely and may even play along. I have the book that you're using and was using it for a while, but my brain doesn't always think that learning two languages at a time is a good idea.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Re: שִׁבֹּלֶת - A Biblical Hebrew Log

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Pronunciation

I think I hit the jackpot! FSI has a pronunciation course for Levantine Arabic. It's around eight hours of drills and I won't need to learn any grammar or vocabulary or the Arabic script, all of which would take time and energy away from learning Hebrew. Pimsleur's going back to the library. I'm going to burn the FSI drills onto a CD and go over them in the car.

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/language ... rabic.html

There is a very large overlap between the consonants of Biblical Hebrew and Arabic. In fact, I think that every consonant that is in the traditional pronunciation of Tiberian Hebrew that is not in English is used in Levantine Arabic (except for /q/ in most dialects, but the FSI drills do seem to have the speaker pronounce /q/ as it would be in MSA).

Now, I am planning on using a reconstructed pronunciation rather than the traditional pronunciation, but they only differ by a few consonants. And as it just so happens, I already know how to pronounce those different consonants (/t’/, /k’/, /s’/, and /ɬ/) because I spent some time studying Navajo, which uses all of these sounds (/s’/ is not used on its own in Navajo but as part of the affricate /ts’/, but I think I can still manage it).

[Edit: A traditional pronunciation of Tiberian Hebrew would use the a pharyngealized /t/ and /s/ and uvular /q/ (all three of these would be the same as in Arabic) in place of the ejectives, and שׂ would simply be merged with ס and be pronounced as /s/ rather than the unique sound of /ɬ/.]

Grammar

The First Hebrew Primer seems pretty awesome so far, but the one thing that disappoints me is that although it acknowledges that the two full conjugations represent different aspects (perfective and imperfective), not different tenses, they choose to treat perfective as though it's a past tense, and imperfective as though it's a future tense. I get that this is a primer, but why not just write an extra chapter or two and just explain how aspects work?

Once I'm finished with the Primer, I think the next logical step is A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew by C. L. Seow. It has a reputation for being thorough but quite dense. I think it should be manageable with Primer under my belt, though. I checked out the preview on Amazon and this one does seem to properly address the aspect system. Not only that, but "the student encounters a biblical text as early as in Lesson II and, by the end of the book, will have read something from every book of the Hebrew Bible, including several full chapters of prose and poetry." Seems pretty sweet to me.
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Deinonysus wrote:This video has been very helpful for the pronunciation of ע (pronounced ayin in Hebrew and means "eye", same pronunciation and meaning in Arabic but looks like a "3"):

Are you referring to the Biblical Hebrew? Because in Modern Hebrew that letter is pronounced differently. Moses McCormick used Arabic pronunciation in his Hebrew demo and it sounds weird to me. Perhaps this was his early stage
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:23 pm

cjareck wrote:
Deinonysus wrote:This video has been very helpful for the pronunciation of ע (pronounced ayin in Hebrew and means "eye", same pronunciation and meaning in Arabic but looks like a "3"):

Are you referring to the Biblical Hebrew? Because in Modern Hebrew that letter is pronounced differently. Moses McCormick used Arabic pronunciation in his Hebrew demo and it sounds weird to me. Perhaps this was his early stage

Yes, I did mean Biblical Hebrew, I guess I was unclear there.

I personally pronounce Modern Hebrew with a standard accent without an ע sound. However, many speakers (for example, Arabs and Sephardic Jews) do pronounce ע in Modern Hebrew the way it would be in Arabic, and also pronounce ח‎, ט‎, and צ as pharyngeal like in Arabic. The "Learn Arabic with Maha" channel goes over both pronunciations (standard and how an Arab would pronounce them) in her videos about the Hebrew alphabet:

Maybe Moses learned Hebrew from an Arab, or maybe he just learned Arabic earlier and assumed the same letter would be pronounced the same way. I think your link is broken, you meant this video, right?
0 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:01 pm

Deinonysus wrote:Maybe Moses learned Hebrew from an Arab, or maybe he just learned Arabic earlier and assumed the same letter would be pronounced the same way. I think your link is broken, you meant this video, right?

Yes, that's the video!
By the way, thanks for Maha's videos on the alphabet. I will listen to them.

Arabs speaking Hebrew are not native speakers. Today I have LE, so I will ask my LEP what he thinks about such pronunciation.
0 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:02 pm

cjareck wrote:Yes, that's the video!

Arabs speaking Hebrew are not native speakers. Today I have LE, so I will ask my LEP what he thinks about such pronunciation.

Well, Maha says that although she comes from an Arab family she also considers herself to be a native Hebrew speaker. She is able to make the sounds of a standard Hebrew accent when explaining the differences, but I believe she generally speaks it with an Arab accent.

I found an interesting article about different accents in Hebrew:
Hi everybody! Idit here. Welcome to Ask a Teacher where I’ll answer some of your most common Hebrew questions.

The question for this lesson is…

Are there dialects in Hebrew?

Modern Israeli Hebrew has no geographical dialects, but there are some features of the language that change between different social or ethnic groups, expressed mainly in the pronunciation of guttural consonants.

Hebrew was a "frozen" language for 17 centuries - it was used mostly for liturgical purposes, and was not a spoken language for a long time. Towards the end of the 19th century, a process started called "The revival of the Hebrew language." It took place in Europe and Palestine, and changed the usage of Hebrew from a sacred language to a spoken one – the one used for daily life in Israel.

At the beginning of this process, there were mainly three groups of Hebrew regional accents – Ashkenazi, spoken by Jews from Eastern Europe, Sephardi, spoken by Jews from Spain, Brazil, Portugal and Italy, and Mizrahi, spoken by Jews from the Middle East. As the process continued, different kinds of pronunciation merged, and today's spoken Hebrew has two main varieties – Oriental and Non-Oriental, that differ mainly in the pronunciation of the consonants ע (ayin), ח (ħet) and ר (resh).

In short, an Israeli whose parents came from Yemen sounds a little different than an Israeli whose parents came from Russia. But in recent generations, the accent normalizes to a more standard modern Hebrew accent.

How was this lesson? Pretty interesting, right?

Do you have any more questions? Leave them in the comments below and I’ll try to answer them!

להתראות!

(lehitra’ot!)

https://www.hebrewpod101.com/lesson/abs ... in-hebrew/
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:09 pm

Deinonysus wrote:
cjareck wrote:Yes, that's the video!

Well, Maha says that although she comes from an Arab family she also considers herself to be a native Hebrew speaker. She is able to make the sounds of a standard Hebrew accent when explaining the differences, but I believe she generally speaks it with an Arab accent.

I found an interesting article about different accents in Hebrew:

First - thanks for the interesting article
Second - Of course, I forgot to ask, we had too many things to speak about ;)
1 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Re: שִׁבֹּלֶת - A Biblical Hebrew Log

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:38 pm

I finished most of the first tape of FSI Levantine Arabic Pronunciation; I should be able to finish it on the way home from work. There have been a lot of drills on the American L which can be dark (velarized) or light (unvelarized), and the Arabic L which can only be light. The Arabic L is also dental while the American L is alveolar, but they haven't mentioned that yet. There will be dental vs. alveolar drills soon. These Arabic sounds are present in a lot of languages and in my experience they are much more common than the American versions, so I think I think these early drills will help me with a lot of languages. I guess at the beginning they are trying to neutralize the American accent, and then they will work on sounds that are particular to Arabic later on.

I didn't get the chance to finish chapter 5 of the Primer, but I've been keeping up with my Anki deck.
4 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Return to “Language logs”