Shouko's Spanish Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
User avatar
Shouko
White Belt
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:19 pm
Languages: German (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate),
Polish (???)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1129
x 38

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Shouko » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Time for an update!

Reading

Como agua para chocolate 42%
Noragami – Temporada 1: 12|12 Episodios
Arakawa Under the Bridge – Temporada 1: 1|13 Episodios

Yes, I'm watching animes with Spanish subs again! But I'm not too sure how helpful it is. (I learned the word “enano” with Lovely Complex tho, so I guess it's not completely useless?! :lol:) It's also funny that the protagonists have both the same voice actor; I didn't even plan this?!

And they are both very educational!

Listening

Gran Hotel – Temporada 3: 9|22 Capítulos

I have a few quotes and impressions I want to share with you all (they are kind of out of context as I don't want to spoil anything)!

Capítulo 5

Apart from the comedic moments with Javier, I also really like the detective duo. There's an especially ridiculous scene in this episode.
Agente Hernando: No hay duda; el dueño del establecimiento, a quien llamaremos «alfa», intentó impedir que el ladron, a quien llamaremos «beta», robaría sus objetos de oro, los que llameremos «omegas».
There's also a video of this scene! ...?! :lol: I'm also not too sure if he really says “robaría”? It's kind of merged together.

Capítulo 7

Javier: *re-narrates his tale of the war with toys and stuff*
Javier: Yo... Este era yo!
Sofía: Javier, ¡por favor!, que es el niño jesus.

Javier shows once again his brilliance! :lol:

Capítulo 8

My thoughts after this episode: “I would love to strangle Diego! :')” and “What has just happened?!”

Also, I have found new great channels on youtube. (*^▽^)/

Siempre Hay Tiempo I found her channel through a game; it's nice when you find someone speaking Spanish without even expecting it. And I really like her voice, it's so soothing and she is so easy to understand!
Por qué Kira gana tan poco en Japón (filosofía de empresa) I thought this video was super hilarious, especially his description of an ordinary work day in Japan (if you are an employee with an fixed labour contract). I really like his way of teaching and explaining stuff; his teaching videos will be surely of great help when I'm going to start learning Japanese, haha.
Desnuda en JAPON!! O_O (Onsen Japonés) Oh god, I would also be totally embarrassed about being naked in front of all these people. :lol: I have only watched two videos so far, but she seems like a really nice and funny person.

And here are two other channels I haven't really looked into yet!
Mari y Gabriel en Japón & Marta e Yuu

Ahh, why am I watching all these videos about Japenese culture tho … my next goal is Polish goddammit! *slaps herself* … *continues to search for Japanese learning material*

Oh, and I also completed my goal of adding new cards to Anki!
2 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 pm
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).
x 653

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Tomás » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:49 pm

Shouko wrote:Also, I have found new great channels on youtube. (*^▽^)/

Siempre Hay Tiempo I found her channel through a game; it's nice when you find someone speaking Spanish without even expecting it. And I really like her voice, it's so soothing and she is so easy to understand!


She's adorable. I get the general outline of what she's saying but miss a lot of the details.
1 x

User avatar
Shouko
White Belt
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:19 pm
Languages: German (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate),
Polish (???)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1129
x 38

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Shouko » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:19 pm

Tomás wrote:
Shouko wrote:Also, I have found new great channels on youtube. (*^▽^)/

Siempre Hay Tiempo I found her channel through a game; it's nice when you find someone speaking Spanish without even expecting it. And I really like her voice, it's so soothing and she is so easy to understand!


She's adorable. I get the general outline of what she's saying but miss a lot of the details.


Yes, she is! And I'm sure if you work hard you'll understand her and others perfectly in no time. :)
0 x

User avatar
Hank
Green Belt
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:35 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833
x 549

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Hank » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:34 am

I never should have watched that Siempre Hay Tiempo video. I couldn't understand much of what she said, so I turned on the subtitles. I could follow the subtitles, even at the blazing speed that they were going by. It kind of destroys my idea that my lack of vocabulary is the biggest factor as to why I don't understand more spoken, native, Spanish. :lol:

Oh, well. Now I know. Back to the drawing board!
1 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

Tomás
Blue Belt
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 pm
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).
x 653

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Tomás » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:13 am

Shouko wrote:
Tomás wrote:
Shouko wrote:Also, I have found new great channels on youtube. (*^▽^)/

Siempre Hay Tiempo I found her channel through a game; it's nice when you find someone speaking Spanish without even expecting it. And I really like her voice, it's so soothing and she is so easy to understand!


She's adorable. I get the general outline of what she's saying but miss a lot of the details.


Yes, she is! And I'm sure if you work hard you'll understand her and others perfectly in no time. :)


Is she a native Spanish speaker? I can't tell. I find that I can understand other English speakers when they speak Spanish better than I can understand native speakers.
0 x

User avatar
Stelle
Blue Belt
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:37 pm
Location: Canada
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312
x 1507
Contact:

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Stelle » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:44 am

Where's the heart emoji? I need a heart emoji if I'm going to mention Hernando and Ayala! <3 They were the highlight of that entire show for me.
1 x

User avatar
Shouko
White Belt
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:19 pm
Languages: German (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate),
Polish (???)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1129
x 38

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Shouko » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Hank wrote:I never should have watched that Siempre Hay Tiempo video. I couldn't understand much of what she said, so I turned on the subtitles. I could follow the subtitles, even at the blazing speed that they were going by. It kind of destroys my idea that my lack of vocabulary is the biggest factor as to why I don't understand more spoken, native, Spanish. :lol:

Oh, well. Now I know. Back to the drawing board!


Don't feel too bad about it, it just needs some time! And yes, reading a word or a phrase and hearing it spoken in native speed is something completely different. I've watched a lot of series and heard a bunch of podcasts to get to this point, but it is worth it! :) (Studying in Spain also helps :lol:).

Tomás wrote: Is she a native Spanish speaker? I can't tell. I find that I can understand other English speakers when they speak Spanish better than I can understand native speakers.


Yes! I'm not sure if she talks about her home country in one of her videos, but she should be from Mexico according to her channel info.

Stelle wrote:Where's the heart emoji? I need a heart emoji if I'm going to mention Hernando and Ayala! <3 They were the highlight of that entire show for me.


Yeah, I agree! The series wouldn't be the same without them. :')
0 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 pm
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).
x 653

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Tomás » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Shouko wrote:Desnuda en JAPON!! O_O (Onsen Japonés) Oh god, I would also be totally embarrassed about being naked in front of all these people. :lol: I have only watched two videos so far, but she seems like a really nice and funny person.


I watched the Ruthi vid on onsens this morning, and understood about 75% of the points she was making, maybe 40-50% of the language. It's kind of exhausting to concentrate so hard for 15 minutes straight, but exhilarating as well. Thanks again for the links.
1 x

User avatar
Shouko
White Belt
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:19 pm
Languages: German (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate),
Polish (???)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1129
x 38

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Shouko » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:17 pm

After a 30-hour bus trip, I'm finally back in Germany! And I have passed all of my exams!!! o(〃^▽^〃)o I'm extremely happy, because I really thought I would fail at least one, haha.

Reading

Como agua para chocolate 65%
Arakawa Under the Bridge – Temporada 1: 11|13 Episodios
A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish – 1|39 Capítulos

I'm in quite a reading slump at the moment. I have been reading a book for nearly... 3 weeks? And it just doesn't seem to end, even though it's not even that long (or that bad, for that matter). It just doesn't grip me. I'm hopefully going to finish it in the next two days, but ughh... I have also started reading A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish, which I bought last year. I'm planning on reading two chapters (or one if it's too long) a week to refresh some grammar.

Listening

Gran Hotel – Temporada 3: 21|22 Capítulos

I think I'm going to finish the series tomorrow. :'3 I'm not sure what I should start next, but I'd like to watch some movies in Spanish, which I borrowed from a friend a loooooong time ago. :oops:

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 95|106 Unidades

I have decided to finally continue with Gramática de uso del español C1-C2. I want to finish it this month and then look over some of the more difficult parts.
0 x

User avatar
Shouko
White Belt
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:19 pm
Languages: German (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate),
Polish (???)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1129
x 38

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Shouko » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Sorry for the lack for updates; I binge watched The 100 and am currently participating in a drawing challenge. :lol: However, I did something in Spanish everyday so there's that!

Reading

Como agua para chocolate 82%
Una Academia Muy Austera (Una Serie de Catastróficas Desdichas, #5) 38%
Arakawa Under the Bridge – Temporada 1: 13|13 Episodios
A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish – 2|39 Capítulos

I decided yesterday that I should finally read the two chapters of Como agua para chocolate which I should have read already days ago. :oops: I have also started the fifth book of Una Serie de Catastróficas Desdichas. It's... okay, I guess?

Listening

Gran Hotel – Temporada 3: 22|22 Capítulos
El Ministerio del Tiempo – Temporada 1: 1|8 Capítulos

I have finished Gran Hotel nearly two weeks ago, so my memories are a bit fuzzy. The ending was quite happy, which was a bit surprising, but I definitely won't complain! I have also watched the first episode of El Ministerio del Tiempo, but I'm not sure if I'll keeping watching it. I think I have just watched too many series these past weeks, so I would rather read more (hopefully).

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 106|106 Unidades

Aaand... I have finally finished Gramática de uso del español. :'3 *throws confetti*
4 x


Return to “Language logs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests