The Ambitious Goals of a Wallflower

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
marie39
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Malay

The Ambitious Goals of a Wallflower

Postby marie39 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Hello everyone! Well, I already have a Spanish log which I will continue to update in Spanish but I also felt like making a general log for all of the languages I am actively studying and dabbling in. I will keep this in (mostly) English since that will be easier. I also have very ambitious goals. I have a long list of languages I want to learn. Some I want to reach a high level in while others I would be fine with reaching an intermediate level. Either way, the list is long and I am not getting any younger.

I am considering testing out the premium account on lingq because it has a lot of languages that I want to learn and intensive reading is probably my favorite way to learn.

Currently Studying

Spanish: I have gotten to the point with Spanish that I need to just consume a lot of native materials. No more textbooks. From here on out I will improve my Spanish with massive input largely in the format of books and television. I'll have to start introducing more writing and speaking into my plans as I continue to work on my language skills. I recently decided to start a kpop/jpop/asian pop fan journal and I'll be writing in it in Spanish. I already have a personal journal going in Italian.

Italian: I've always wanted to learn Italian. I have some Italian heritage but other than that, I love Italian food, the culture, the history, the art and just the way the language sounds. This year I got serious with Italian. I am now working through and intermediate textbook and once I finish with that I will increase the amount of native materials (books, television, etc.) I use. So, I'll be intensively using native materials like how I am using native materials in Spanish now.

Catalan: This came out of no where and I'm using Spanish to study a bit of Catalan for fun when I have free time.

Mandarin: I took a couple of beginner Chinese classes in college and felt pretty good with some basics afterwards. The classes were small so everyone participated and moved at a good pace. But I'm no longer in college and my Mandarin has slipped. I need to sit down and study but sometimes it feels like my brain just goes "this is too hard" before I even start.

There's more on my list (much more) of languages to learn but I'll stop here for now. I want to work on reviving my Malay skills, try my hand at Latin again, start French and maybe add a Germanic language to the mix to balance out all the romance languages.

8 x

marie39
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Malay

Re: The Ambitious Goals of a Wallflower

Postby marie39 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:37 am

I went to a local thrift store today to check out some books. I found a book in German! Then I found one in Dutch! Which language should I learn first? German or Dutch?

Weekly Update Aug 11 - Aug 18

Spanish: I finished reading Renncuento. This is a very short story and it's part one of a series. I'm not going to continue reading the next books. This book was free when I picked it up. It's not difficult to read but I found it boring. I am currently listening to the audiobook Maximiliano, emperador de México. Oh my gods it's not a romance novel! I need to improve my listening skills. When I watch television wih Spanish subtitles I don't really have a problem following along more or less but just listening can be a bit challenging. I just need mroe input.a

Catalan: I translaed and made Catalan-Spanish flash cards out of the song Ningú més que tu. I also found a free ebook called "Ni tan alt Ni tan difícil" but it is actually only a sample of the book that is free. I'm probably going to just remove i from my Nook app but I did start reading it and made a few flashcards. I'm waiting for my textbook to arrive.

French: I was watching the tv show Versailles on Netflix and I felt like learning a bit of French. Then I remembered how difficult speaking French is.

Italian: I'm still working through my textbook as well as slowly reading Keith by Paola Camberti.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”