Assimil Question

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
David1917
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Persian, German, French, Old English, Hindi, Arabic, Cornish

Re: Assimil Question

Postby David1917 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:40 pm

It's true that by purchasing the Assimil course you are not contractually bound to follow their method explicitly! In fact, many people who don't speak French have reported success using their courses (which do not have English versions) effectively as graded readers. Typically, that of course works best by having a background in the TL.

If I were to use Assimil strictly as a set of 120 dialogues for intensive listening, I would do something like this:

- Listen once to the dialogue
- Listen again, now reading along with the transcript
- Analyze the transcript by comparing with the base language, making use of the notes and, in the case that they are opaque, filled with riddles, or otherwise incomplete, some other small reference grammar
- Listen again, reading along with the transcript, now with greater understanding
- Take dictation line by line. Compare with the original. You could listen again if you like.
- Next day, listen to the dialogue without the transcript

Of course, this leaves you bereft of work on speaking, as well as any sort of built-in review system beyond the 2nd day listen. Therefore, I would suggest making sure you have some other materials to work with, especially with 1.5 hours per day.
3 x

siouxchief
White Belt
Languages: Learning French

Postby siouxchief » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Food for thought David, thanks. I'd be doing Pimsleur in parallel using a multi-track approach mentioned previously which sounds ideal so that should take care of speaking.

As mentioned I will try the Assimil 10 steps for a bit to see how I get on but may switch to a more intensive listening approach if I feel it would work better for me given that's what I've experience in.
0 x

ilmari
Orange Belt
Languages: Fluent - French (N), English, Hebrew, Japanese.
Intermediate - Korean, Finnish, Spanish, Russian.
Studying (now) - Russian, Finnish, Estonian.
Dabbling - Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Urdu, Indonesian, Māori, Latin, Esperanto.
Would love to study - Swedish, Swahili, Ancient Greek, and so many more.

Postby ilmari » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:55 am

I may add to all the thoughtful answers above that one of the main qualities of (most of) Assimil courses is how idiomatic the dialogues are. Assimil offers you, right from the beginning, a chunk of natural language that very few other courses offer you. I was always amazed, when going somewhere after having done 4, 5 or 6 weeks of an Assimil course, to hear and see around me so many sentences and words I have already met thanks to Assimil. And Assimil manages to present you this natural language in a progressive manner, so that it is also a real language course.
5 x

siouxchief
White Belt
Languages: Learning French

Postby siouxchief » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:54 am

Yes that seems to be the beauty of it. Looking forward to starting French with ease next week.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”