Help Me With My Language Map

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: Help Me With My Language Map

Postby eido » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:55 pm

I'm aware of some Korean textbooks used to learn Japanese and vice versa, but I can't find the posts on this forum that listed them. I think they were in the Korean resources thread. Have a look.
1 x

kmurphy930
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Postby kmurphy930 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Bumping for a question. I'm a fan of using the 'fluent forever' method, and I would like to use it for all of my target languages. However, after doing a bit of research, I came across a tiny problem: Vietnamese doesn't have the resources that I like to use. The ideal resource for me would be a word list with sounds I can attach to my flashcards until I get a hang of all the sounds. The next best thing would be a source that has the IPA attached so I can get a gist of the sound, but no real luck there either. Does anybody know where I can find a good source with either of those things, or should I just get used to the Viet alphabet? thanks in advance.
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:38 am

kmurphy930 wrote:Bumping for a question. I'm a fan of using the 'fluent forever' method, and I would like to use it for all of my target languages. However, after doing a bit of research, I came across a tiny problem: Vietnamese doesn't have the resources that I like to use. The ideal resource for me would be a word list with sounds I can attach to my flashcards until I get a hang of all the sounds. The next best thing would be a source that has the IPA attached so I can get a gist of the sound, but no real luck there either. Does anybody know where I can find a good source with either of those things, or should I just get used to the Viet alphabet? thanks in advance.

Are you talking about minimal pairs?

A Google yielded this for me: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1747674390

Since you are interested in the big three East Asian languages, I would encourage you to start learning kanji/hanzi/hanja, even if it’s just the meaning. Even though Korean has Hangul, my impression is that knowledge of the Chinese characters is more helpful than not,
EDIT: Admin: Fixed URL link
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:26 am

kmurphy930 wrote:My map looks like this: Spanish, French, Portuguese, Korean, Japanese, Cantonese, Vietnamese

Xenops wrote:Since you are interested in the big three East Asian languages

@Xenops - Just curious why Mandarin isn't in the big three East Asian languages.
@kmurphy930 - As a native English speaker, learning even a single language by laddering or using fluent forever would be very challenging. Learning 7 using both methods would make you just about superhuman. Good luck!
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 am

I know people always advise studying languages in succession, but I think if you’re primarily interested in Romance and East Asian languages I’d pick one of the East Asian ones to study from the very beginning just to start picking away at that mountain of completely different vocabulary. Just make sure it doesn’t take time away from your main Romance focus so that you’re still making real progress.

Honestly had I waited until I was great at Polish and other European languages before studying Urdu I don’t think I would have gotten anywhere. I can express myself fairly well in it on a good day and I still feel like I’m coming up against avalanches of Persian and Arabic whenever I try to read anything. In that sense I agree with David1917.
3 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:51 am

leosmith wrote:

@Xenops - Just curious why Mandarin isn't in the big three East Asian languages

Oops. :oops: I think I read Cantonese and my mind went straight to “Chinese”. But I agree with you.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

kmurphy930
White Belt

Postby kmurphy930 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:58 am

Xenops wrote:
kmurphy930 wrote:Bumping for a question. I'm a fan of using the 'fluent forever' method, and I would like to use it for all of my target languages. However, after doing a bit of research, I came across a tiny problem: Vietnamese doesn't have the resources that I like to use. The ideal resource for me would be a word list with sounds I can attach to my flashcards until I get a hang of all the sounds. The next best thing would be a source that has the IPA attached so I can get a gist of the sound, but no real luck there either. Does anybody know where I can find a good source with either of those things, or should I just get used to the Viet alphabet? thanks in advance.

Are you talking about minimal pairs?

A Google yielded this for me: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1747674390

Since you are interested in the big three East Asian languages, I would encourage you to start learning kanji/hanzi/hanja, even if it’s just the meaning. Even though Korean has Hangul, my impression is that knowledge of the Chinese characters is more helpful than not,
EDIT: Admin: Fixed URL link

Yep, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Thanks! Now I need to find/make a vocab deck.
0 x

kmurphy930
White Belt

Postby kmurphy930 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:02 am

leosmith wrote:
kmurphy930 wrote:My map looks like this: Spanish, French, Portuguese, Korean, Japanese, Cantonese, Vietnamese

@Xenops - Just curious why Mandarin isn't in the big three East Asian languages.
@kmurphy930 - As a native English speaker, learning even a single language by laddering or using fluent forever would be very challenging. Learning 7 using both methods would make you just about superhuman. Good luck!

Thanks! It looks like it's going to be helpful in the long run. I was looking for Vietnamese resources through Mandarin and found a nice 7000 word vocab book with recordings. Just what I was looking for! It seems like laddering will only really be useful for finding resources for languages that English speakers don't really care for.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”