Turkic language with most Sanskrit loans?

General discussion about learning languages
Dtmont
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(n) Portuguese/Galician(around intermediate). In reading: Old English,Dutch,Affrkikaans

Turkic language with most Sanskrit loans?

Postby Dtmont » Wed May 15, 2019 4:29 pm

I am just curious to know what Turkic language has the highest number of Sanskrit loans? My thinking is that it is either Uyghur(Location on silk road, and a number of Sanskrit loans in Mongolian come from Uyghur) or Tuvan(possibly through Buddhism). Anyone know the answer to this?(Chung???)
1 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: Turkic language with most Sanskrit loans?

Postby vonPeterhof » Wed May 15, 2019 5:08 pm

Dtmont wrote:My thinking is that it is either Uyghur(Location on silk road, and a number of Sanskrit loans in Mongolian come from Uyghur) or Tuvan(possibly through Buddhism).

I can't give a proper answer to your question, but I would like to point out that the Uyghur from which Sanskrit loans came into Mongolian is most likely Old Uyghur, which isn't the ancestor of the modern language known as "Uyghur". I've studied the latter a little, and it has a typically Central Asian Turkic vocabulary with heavy Perso-Arabic influence as well as a large number of modern Russian loans (and a surprisingly small number of Chinese ones); the closest thing to a Sanskrit loanword I can think of is the word for "sugar", which isn't all that remarkable for the region. Although Old Uyghur does have a modern descendant in the form of Western Yugur.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”