Is there a way to remove all words which have English cognates from this Spanish list?

General discussion about learning languages
Hashimi
Green Belt

Re: Is there a way to remove all words which have English cognates from this Spanish list?

Postby Hashimi » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:58 pm

DaraghM wrote:Can I ask why you want to do this? If the purpose it to learn vocabulary in an efficient manner, by ignoring words that seem similar, you run the risk of missing some key differences even with words that look identical to English. Just flicking through the list quickly, I see the following,

inferior - means lower in a general sense, not only to do with status, as the English word implies.
carbón - carbon, but also coal and charcoal.
oculta - rarely pertains to the occult, but commonly used to mean hide, cover, mask, etc.

That's right. But these words are the easiest to learn from context. For example, when you read sentences like these:

Las últimas previsiones para el año 2009 predicen un crecimiento económico de-1 % o inferior.

Todos los Estados miembros tienen un límite inferior de 65.

El gas y el carbón son dos alternativas importantes para sustituir a la energía nuclear.

Él oculta sus sentimientos de la gente que ama.

It's very easy to know that "inferior" here means lower in a general sense, and has nothing to do with status, that "carbón" also mean coal, and that "oculta" means to hide.

It's very difficult to infer the meaning of non-cognates like "estrenar" or "antier" just from the context.
0 x

白田龍
Yellow Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Re: Is there a way to remove all words which have English cognates from this Spanish list?

Postby 白田龍 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:28 pm

I'd parse the entries from an English and a Spanish monolingual dictionaries, to extract the Classical Latin from the etymologies, then it would be easy to filter all words that have the same origin.

Or just delete all words, 99.9% will be cognates if you go down to Proto-Indo-European 8-)
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”