I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
MarianoM
White Belt
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:11 pm
Location: Argentina
Languages: Spanish (Native), English (Advanced) German (Beginner)
x 17

I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby MarianoM » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 pm

How do I ask someone to put my cellphone number in his/her cellphone? In spanish we say "agendame" but I couldn't find an equivalent expression in English, maybe:

"Register me?" or "add me?" Maybe I'm wrong but none of these sound natural to me.

Thanks
1 x

User avatar
Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:39 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French
x 902

Re: I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby Adrianslont » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:40 pm

“Add me to your contacts”

“Would you like to add me to your contacts?”

“Could you add me to your contacts?”

“Would you like my number?”

All of those work for me as a native speaker of English living in Australia.
9 x

MarianoM
White Belt
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:11 pm
Location: Argentina
Languages: Spanish (Native), English (Advanced) German (Beginner)
x 17

Re: I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby MarianoM » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks Adrian.

So it's rather simple just "add me to your contacts" I thought that maybe there was some idiom or expression. But if that's natural as you say, it's enough for me.

Thanks for your help!
1 x

Beli Tsar
Yellow Belt
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
x 96

Re: I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby Beli Tsar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:39 pm

MarianoM wrote:Thanks Adrian.

So it's rather simple just "add me to your contacts" I thought that maybe there was some idiom or expression. But if that's natural as you say, it's enough for me.

Thanks for your help!

I think, in UK English at least, that could sound a little formal/odd/a touch rude, since it's demanding an action from the person you are speaking to. I'd use 'can I give you my number'?
1 x
: 7 / 20 Ancient Greek - Read 1,000,000 words
: 12 / 21 TY Modern Persian
: 8 / 20 Persian - 2000 words Memrise & Anki
: 9 / 20 Persian - Read 100,000 words

User avatar
SGP
Blue Belt
Posts: 905
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Languages: --> minimum speaking / maximum reading abilities: DE (native), EN (C2), EN-AFR/EN-CAR (B2 / C2), Alpha Centaurian (C2), AR (C2), ES (B2), FR (B1 / B2), NL (A1 / B2), AF (pre-A1 / B2), SWA (A2 / B1), SV/DA/NO (pre-A1 / B2), PT (pre-A1 / B2), IT (pre-A1 / B2), RO (pre-A1 / B2), LAT (pre-A1 / B2), EO (pre-A1 / B2), JP (A1), toki pona (A1), micro-learning several others.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230
x 250
Contact:

Re: I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby SGP » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Beli Tsar wrote:
MarianoM wrote:Thanks Adrian.

So it's rather simple just "add me to your contacts" I thought that maybe there was some idiom or expression. But if that's natural as you say, it's enough for me.

Thanks for your help!

I think, in UK English at least, that could sound a little formal/odd/a touch rude, since it's demanding an action from the person you are speaking to. I'd use 'can I give you my number'?
They say that US Americans (usually) tend to be more direct than people from the United Kingdom. Maybe someone from the US could comment on "add me" vs. "can you add me". I think it could be useful to MarianoM, as well as some others.
1 x

User avatar
Deinonysus
Green Belt
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:06 pm
Location: Boston
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French,
   German
• Intermediate:
   Esperanto
• Beginner: Icelandic,
   Italian, Hebrew,
   Japanese, Spanish,
   Danish, Indonesian
• Dabbled: Xhosa,
   Korean, Russian,
   Irish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7581
x 799

Re: I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:10 pm

SGP wrote:
Beli Tsar wrote:
MarianoM wrote:Thanks Adrian.

So it's rather simple just "add me to your contacts" I thought that maybe there was some idiom or expression. But if that's natural as you say, it's enough for me.

Thanks for your help!

I think, in UK English at least, that could sound a little formal/odd/a touch rude, since it's demanding an action from the person you are speaking to. I'd use 'can I give you my number'?
They say that US Americans (usually) tend to be more direct than people from the United Kingdom. Maybe someone from the US could comment on "add me" vs. "can you add me". I think it could be useful to MarianoM, as well as some others.
Adrianslont's sentences are probably the best way to say it in US English as well.
0 x
German:
: 202 / 608 Duolingo German
: 12 / 30 Pimsleur German V
: 765 / 28303 Clozemaster Fluency Fast Track

Esperanto:
: 44 / 186 Duolingo Esperanto to Crown Level 3

User avatar
SGP
Blue Belt
Posts: 905
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Languages: --> minimum speaking / maximum reading abilities: DE (native), EN (C2), EN-AFR/EN-CAR (B2 / C2), Alpha Centaurian (C2), AR (C2), ES (B2), FR (B1 / B2), NL (A1 / B2), AF (pre-A1 / B2), SWA (A2 / B1), SV/DA/NO (pre-A1 / B2), PT (pre-A1 / B2), IT (pre-A1 / B2), RO (pre-A1 / B2), LAT (pre-A1 / B2), EO (pre-A1 / B2), JP (A1), toki pona (A1), micro-learning several others.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230
x 250
Contact:

Re: I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby SGP » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Deinonysus wrote:Adrianslont's sentences are probably the best way to say it in US English as well.
Not disagreeing with you. However, Adrianslont's senteces contain both of "add me" and "would you like to add me". So the remaining question was more about whether "add me" sounds too direct to "the average US English speaker", not if all of Adrianslont's sentences can be used in US English as well.
0 x

User avatar
Deinonysus
Green Belt
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:06 pm
Location: Boston
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French,
   German
• Intermediate:
   Esperanto
• Beginner: Icelandic,
   Italian, Hebrew,
   Japanese, Spanish,
   Danish, Indonesian
• Dabbled: Xhosa,
   Korean, Russian,
   Irish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7581
x 799

Re: I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:34 pm

SGP wrote:
Deinonysus wrote:Adrianslont's sentences are probably the best way to say it in US English as well.
Not disagreeing with you. However, Adrianslont's senteces contain both of "add me" and "would you like to add me". So the remaining question was more about whether "add me" sounds too direct to "the average US English speaker", not if all of Adrianslont's sentences can be used in US English as well.

I don't know about too direct, but it isn't a commonly used phrase so without context you wouldn't know what to add them to. That's why the other sentences work better.
0 x
German:
: 202 / 608 Duolingo German
: 12 / 30 Pimsleur German V
: 765 / 28303 Clozemaster Fluency Fast Track

Esperanto:
: 44 / 186 Duolingo Esperanto to Crown Level 3

User avatar
CarlyD
Green Belt
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:44 pm
Location: California, USA
Languages: English (N), Spanish--on hold (A2), German--now studying (A1)
Bucket List: Russian, Slovene
x 543

Re: I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby CarlyD » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:43 pm

SGP wrote:
Deinonysus wrote:Adrianslont's sentences are probably the best way to say it in US English as well.
Not disagreeing with you. However, Adrianslont's senteces contain both of "add me" and "would you like to add me". So the remaining question was more about whether "add me" sounds too direct to "the average US English speaker", not if all of Adrianslont's sentences can be used in US English as well.


Can't speak for all of US English, but casual California English, we'd generally drop the "contacts" and just say "add me to your phone" or "add me to your cell" or the even more casual "do you want to add me" with both cell phone and contacts assumed.
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Blue Belt
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: usa
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5680&p=70021#p70021
x 900

Re: I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:51 pm

MarianoM wrote:How do I ask someone to put my cellphone number in his/her cellphone? In spanish we say "agendame" but I couldn't find an equivalent expression in English, maybe:

"Register me?" or "add me?" Maybe I'm wrong but none of these sound natural to me.

Thanks

My American method is, I hand them my phone and say, "Call yourself." Then I have their number in my dialed calls list and they have mine in their received calls list. They can add it to their contact list on their phone or not as they please. They can even not call themselves if they don't want to. Sometimes someone does not catch on right away, but the light goes on soon enough, and if not, I explain it to them. No one has ever seemed offended by this method, nor was I offended the first time someone used this tactic with me.
0 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.


Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests