2019 Korean Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
suko
White Belt
Languages: Swedish - English - Korean

Re: 2019 Korean Log

Postby suko » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:13 am

studied for 4 hours
-watched a bit of weightlifting fairy
-read
-watched youtube
-did anki
-watched a bit of 그 것이 알고 싶다
-did htsk

htsk was the first website I used when I started studying Korean but I stopped within like the first month because there was too much information to take in as a beginner, but I think I’m gonna try to use it again since it’s so thorough, right now I feel like I know most grammar points quite loosely and I can’t really use them myself so I’d like to have more in depth explanations

Some people say not to use it especially if you’re a beginner because there are supposedly errors in some of the lessons, but I’m going to make mistakes regardless of whether I use it or not, I think the pros outweigh the cons and I’d end up making a lot more mistakes by only loosely knowing the grammar points

I just want something thorough that I can finish and then for the most part be “””done””” with studying grammar, if I keep using books i’ll always feel like i have to start another one after it and i’ll just end up doing the same thing over and over again

Also I made some adjustments to the shortcut so that I can use / to separate the fields instead of , because it’s easier to read and it’s less confusing, and I also figured out how to change it so that it would replace the rep1 and rep2 text automatically so that I don’t have to do it myself in google sheets

I also made a shortcut to download the Audio from Daum, i tried multiple different websites but Daum is the only one that worked, I just added a link to the Daum dictionary to a command in marvin 3 and then I selected a word to open it with Daum (it doesn’t exit to open safari it opens it in the marvin app), then I press and hold the audio button and then I press share to run the shortcut which saves the audio to my dropbox and copies the name of the file and adds [sound:] to the text so that it will work when i import it into anki
then i just paste the text into the note for the sentence that the word is in along with the definition and everything else, I just ran the shortcut to see how long it would take and it took like 20 seconds to do the whole thing(except for adding the definitions) which is a lot faster than if I were to download the audio on my computer
I know absolutely nothing about making shortcuts and I have no idea what I’m doing but it works lol
0 x

suko
White Belt

Postby suko » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:23 pm

studied for 4 hours and 35 minutes
-read
-did htsk
-watched youtube
-started watching nct의 night night
-did anki

I was gonna read the subtitles for nct의 night night after watching it using languagetools.io to see how many % of the words i knew but i didn’t have time so i’ll do it tomorrow, but so far i understand most of it

I use this site to remove the time stamps from the subtitles before i upload it to languagetools
https://anatolt.ru/t/del-timestamp-srt.html
0 x

suko
White Belt

Postby suko » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 pm

yesterday:
studied for 5 hours

today:
today I only did about 40-50 minutes of listening and read a little bit because I fell asleep after I got home from work and then I woke up at 10pm

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... cH0Wg5oGfq
I listened to an episode of this, I really like it because the audio is good and she has a nice voice lol
I’m gonna use it for repetitive listening after I cut out the music parts
0 x

suko
White Belt

Postby suko » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:59 pm

:roll: studied for 5 hours
-watched youtube
-read
-did htsk
-repetitive listening
-watched vlive
-anki

while i’m doing htsk I also scrape the vocab from each lesson to make anki cards with the word and the audio and all of the example sentences and the usage notes, i might stop scraping the audio though because she speaks too slowly
0 x

suko
White Belt

Postby suko » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:59 pm

studied for 1 hour and 45 minutes
-45 minutes reading
-1 hour listening/watching

I tried watching some cartoons like peppa pig and babybus, and I honestly enjoyed them a lot more than I should’ve lol
I tried watching content for children a long time ago, and I always see people recommending it to beginners, but I honestly wouldn’t recommend it to beginners since you’re not gonna understand anything because it’s still too difficult and the content isn’t gonna be very interesting if you’re an adult, that’s why I didn’t really like it when I first tried it, but now that i’m intermediate I enjoyed it a lot more since I understand almost everything and the words that I don’t understand I can pick up through context instead of looking them up, sometimes watching content for adults can be really tiring when you have to keep looking up words, so I’m gonna keep watching things like this whenever I’m too tired to watch anything else
2 x

suko
White Belt

Postby suko » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:28 pm

studied for 4 hours
-watched youtube
-read
-anki
-htsk
-some other small things

by the way, in case anyone ever wants to download something from ondemandkorea this addon works, it took me a really long time to find one that works because normal downloading tools don’t work on ondemandkorea, I always use it for downloading documentaries, i downloaded some today so i’m gonna try to watch them this week
https://www.hlsloader.com
0 x

suko
White Belt

Postby suko » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:20 pm

3 days ago(?)
3 hours
-watched youtube
-repetitive listening
-htsk