Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Spoonary » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Stelle wrote:So far, I think we’ve read four or five books together? Come agua para chocolate; el tiempo entre costuras; both of those terrible zombie books (I didn’t even bother picking up the third one in the trilogy); io non ho paura (the lone Italian book on my list).

Don't forget La casa de los espíritus! I didn't even read the second zombie book after seeing how unimpressed you were with it.

Glad to have you on board, Stelle. We'll have to read some more Italian together sometime :)

Also, I definitely need to read more García Márquez.
0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:26 pm

For that person who asked about the official exams: I am considering taking one maybe next year. I could maybe take one this year but I work all year round and I haven't planned for it. My parents are the type too to discourage me from taking such exams in the first place, especially if I have to travel far to take them, such as I would have to with the SIELE. (How do you pronounce this, by the way? I say 'Sel-eh', just like I say 'Del-eh', but maybe it's pronounced 'See-lee'?) I told my dad these are the type of exams you'd want on your resume because they're recognized pretty much globally, not some certificate course like he was telling me to take. Those are available from community colleges but don't really guarantee you anything. I think he's just afraid of what he doesn't know. I think I would take the A2 DELE, but I just read the other day the lower level tests aren't that reliable. I don't know what level I am to be honest. I know I can't speak well, that's for sure. It's something to think about though. Maybe when I'm better at listening I can take a whack at speaking more, if I have money to pay somebody for practice on italki.
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi all. I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about our read along (although I can't quite figure out how March came around so quickly). Should I create a new thread for the read-along or do you fancy discussing Borges here?
1 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:10 pm

I think a dedicated thread would be better. I am ready for the read-along. :-)
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:19 pm

I created a thread for the read-along. ¡Vamos allá!
0 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:18 pm

Spoonary wrote:I created a thread for the read-along. ¡Vamos allá!

Count me in! Just downloaded it on my Kindle
2 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

nellyjami
Languages: English (N) Spanish (M)

Postby nellyjami » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:53 am

Hola! Me llamo es Lilia. Estoy en español 4. Me gusta aprender sobre las ciudades en España. Barcelona es mi ciudad favorita. En Barcelona hay muchos lugares para visitar. La Sagrada Familia es una lugar muy bonita. :D
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:34 am

Would appreciate any and all advice given.

I'm in rut with the garnering and memorization of new vocab. I basically have three options I want to follow.

- Put it off until I finish Assimil in about 3 months
- Start using Clozemaster
- Read articles (from Veinte mundos) or graded readers and put the unknowns into Anki (or a Gold list or Iversen list)

Because I'm studying Spanish as a hobby and don't really use the language actively, via speaking. So it's hard for me to pin down what to do next and how to approach it. I sometimes feel I'm in a hurry and want to do as much as possible. So any advice would be appreciated.
1 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:Would appreciate any and all advice given.

I'm in rut with the garnering and memorization of new vocab. I basically have three options I want to follow.

- Read articles (from Veinte mundos) or graded readers and put the unknowns into Anki (or a Gold list or Iversen list)

Because I'm studying Spanish as a hobby and don't really use the language actively, via speaking. So it's hard for me to pin down what to do next and how to approach it. I sometimes feel I'm in a hurry and want to do as much as possible. So any advice would be appreciated.

Readlang. Music videos, short stories, long stories with translation when click on word.

Lyricstraining - listening practice.

Both something fun, dip in and out. Key words repeated loads. Few unusual words every now and then. Clicking puts the words into a list.

I find vocabulary easier than grammar, speaking etc. So might be different for you and others.
Also I'm a novice at language learning. Others will have better suggestions but I liked the ones above.
0 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:Would appreciate any and all advice given.

Readlang. Music videos, short stories, long stories with translation when click on word.

Lyricstraining - listening practice.

Both something fun, dip in and out. Key words repeated loads. Few unusual words every now and then. Clicking puts the words into a list.

I find vocabulary easier than grammar, speaking etc. So might be different for you and others.
Also I'm a novice at language learning. Others will have better suggestions but I liked the ones above.
0 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

Return to “Study Groups”