Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: PM's French Target: C1 Nov. 2018

Postby Ani » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:48 am

I knew you'd be back :)
47 hours already??
Way to go. I hate Assimil, except for when I'm jealously watching other people complete it, double points for Using.
I'm not into all this non-language related talk but I miss having you around as a language buddy. You really motivate me!
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Sarafina
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)

Postby Sarafina » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:16 pm

I'm really happy that you're back. I admire your honesty and your ability to self-reflect.

47 hours of French so far only 12 days into February.

That's incredible. I've always be in awe at your work ethic. But this is really a whole new level. I can see how although it's an impressive amount, it can be difficult to sustain.

I did lots of reading with regards to passing C1/C2 exams and planning and goals, an aspect I've always been too vague on, I think. I wrote up a plan month by month, in terms of which materials to tackle

Would you mind posting links to that information or elaborating on your readings to passing the C1/C2 exam? I want to pass the C1 exam sometime in the distant future one day so it'll make a useful read.
Do you also mind talking about your monthly plans?
I love reading about other people's plans even though I struggle to follow my own. I am consistently readjusting my plans. :lol:
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Sarafina wrote:I'm really happy that you're back. I admire your honesty and your ability to self-reflect.

Thanks Sarafina :)

Sarafina wrote:
47 hours of French so far only 12 days into February.

That's incredible. I've always be in awe at your work ethic. But this is really a whole new level. I can see how although it's an impressive amount, it can be difficult to sustain.

Yeah it's a lot of work. I think my brain was imploding. I was beginning to become serious concerned for my health. I never get headaches, but I had one for over a day with some unusual symptoms and linked with some health issues around 12 months ago, had me wondering if I was about to have a stroke. Fortunately I'm a healthy weight, relatively fit and eat predominantly healthily, so I hope it was just a little message to say - if you need to sleep - GO TO BED!

I'm now in two minds about where I go from here in terms of balance (eg continue exercising) vs more massive amounts of study but minus any other 'extra' but healthy activities so that I can attain ridiculous levels of French study but still have time to breathe. We'll see... I know that in around 12 months time, life's likely to be busier for me in general and my amount of language study is likely to decrease. I doubt I'll be able to sustain such large chunks of study time with any subsequent languages. Good thing is though, that I'll have (fingers crossed) made it to C1 or C2 level in French and will know what it takes and will be more efficient at the task, so much so that less time won't have as big as an impact as it could without reaching C1/C2 in French. Succeeding in French, means more chance of success for future languages, theoretically ;)

Sarafina wrote:
I did lots of reading with regards to passing C1/C2 exams and planning and goals, an aspect I've always been too vague on, I think. I wrote up a plan month by month, in terms of which materials to tackle

Would you mind posting links to that information or elaborating on your readings to passing the C1/C2 exam? I want to pass the C1 exam sometime in the distant future one day so it'll make a useful read.

Do you also mind talking about your monthly plans?
I love reading about other people's plans even though I struggle to follow my own. I am consistently readjusting my plans. :lol:

I've read numerous things of late and perhaps after reading them enough times and from enough varied sources, I started to finally realise that I don't plan ahead well, in terms of goal setting. I flounder about with courses for months on end, change my routine 700 times and then come back to courses. Despite my decent numbers in terms of study hours, I'm also not as consistent as I would like to be with my daily routine. I wanted more clarity on my objectives. I went back and looked at attributes in my skill-set that need work and chose courses that may assist me as well as the fact that I might enjoy working through them.

How to get fluent. How to prepare for an advanced language exam. Lessons from my Goethe-Institut C1 success

There have been loads of things I’ve read online but the above two I felt were two of the best. When I read a lot of average forum reads/articles etc, I would just conclude that I need to stop distracting myself and get on with learning. Much of the time I think I was really distracting myself, still a plan was certainly useful to do.

I’m likely to change this plan perhaps quite a bit as I do not know how long it will take me to go through each course. So this is a month by month list of goals, it’s not my routine. Month by month I introduce a new course and progress the video sources of learning for example.

février
Buts :
• Assimil Using French tous les jours
(1 leçon chaque jour de la 2e vague)
Enregistrer quelques leçons d’Assimil
en lisant ces leçons à voix haute
• Practise Makes Perfect : Subjunctive
• Yabla
• RFI Journal en FR français en voiture et au travail
----------------------------------
mars
Buts :
• CLE : Grammaire Progressive du FR (inter)
• Yabla
• RFI J. en FR f. en voiture et au travail
avril
Buts :
• Ultimate FR Verb Rev. & Pract.
• Buffy
mai
Buts :
• CLE : Gram Prog du FR (avancé)
• Buffy
juin
Buts :
• Ultimate FR Rev. & Practise
• RFI
juillet
Buts :
• CLE : Gram Prog du FR (perfect.)
• RFI
août
Buts :
• Réussir le DALF C1 et C2
• Production écrite niv. C1/C2
• GLOSS
• Professeur particulier (parler/écrire)
septembre
Buts :
• GLOSS
octobre
Buts :
• GLOSS ? RFI ? Buffy ? Yabla ?
novembre
Buts :
• GLOSS ? RFI ? Buffy ? Yabla ?

Not sure if that makes much sense. My main concern is that i’m likely to have to cut these courses in half. I’ve also a few extra courses I’d like to get done if I complete the ones above quicker than expected. They include Colloquial French 2, Hugo French Advanced the CLE series Grammaire en Dialogues and finally French Verb Mastery.

It’s all a bit ‘shaky’ but it’s a guide that i’ll adjust as I progress.

As for my routine. After I complete Assimil Using French this month, I plan to go into this routine of rotating hours (the course for each month will make my hour of course study for example).

Par roulement :
------
La lecture intensive :
(vocabulaire)
• Bien-dire
• Think French
La lecture considérable :
(immersion, fluidité)
• Un livre en FR facile
• Un livre bilingue
• Un livre enfantine
• Un livre
À écouter / Lire intensivement :
(l’oïe, la vraie langue, vocabulaire)
• Yabla
• Buffy
• GLOSS
• TV5Monde
Un cours :
(gram. avancée, prononciation)
• Practise Makes Perf. : Subjunct.
• CLE : Gram Prog du FR (inter)
• (Peut-être : Hugo French Adv.)
• Ultimate FR Verb Rev. & Pract.
• CLE : Gram Prog du FR (avancé)
• (Peut-être : Colloquial French 2.)
• Ultimate FR Rev. & Practise
• CLE : Gram Prog du FR (perfect.)
• (Peut-être : CLE : Gram en dia.)
• Production écrite niveaux C1/C2
• (Peut-être : FR Verb Mastery)

I am considering condensing the above plan down further at some point, cutting out the listening hour, as I do plenty of listening outside my routine anyway (RFI journal en français facile on commutes, reading occasionally at work, TV here and there). I think I would get more out of Bien-dire and the courses. Imo, Bien-dire, is the most important component of the entire routine aside from the exam practise books/courses. Bien-dire has a hell of a lot of advanced vocab which I feel is much of what is missing from me taking a leap into more advanced territory.

I’m actually started to think that I could potentially pass a C1 exam right now. Only 2 things hold me back, a little more advanced vocab and understanding the exam format itself. But I don’t want to do a sloppy job of it. I want to walk in confident. Oh, and I need to SPEAK with natives, which I will in due course, but i’m not particularly worried - it’s time will come.
6 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 am

Peter

Many thanks for your sharing so much; greatly appreciated.

Question: Is French In Action no longer a part of your study plan?

Also, thanks so much for your comments:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Carmody wrote:
Peter

Could you do me a favor and remind of how many hours and years you approximate for your study of French? Did you say about 4000 hours and 5-6 yrs? I am a pretty slow learner in my French studies and guesstimate it would probably take me about that much time.

Thanks.

Hey Carmody,

Take a look at the post by smallwhite at the top of this page of my log. There are a couple of links there that my provide you with some clarity regarding your question. Also there is a post half way down page 85 of my log where I answer rdearman and discuss hours studied thus far with French. It's a scary figure, but to clarify - I did many many restarts between 1997 when I started and 2013 in French (not to mention Spanish, Dutch and German - French more so). Thus the 1800 hours of French mentioned in that post to rdearman on top of the 3200 hours is a total guess and could literally be cut out because I did restart literally in 2013. It was 2014 when I really got serious though. And still I repeated a number of courses I had already completed, so the 3200 hours from 2013 to now could substantially be cut back further still... I think with 2000 hours and not too much repetition (a bit is good), decent results could be had. Furthermore it does seem to appear that I'm beyond the B2 level, but that is based on my B2 results and feedback from tutors. Another thing to add. Okay 2000 hours (roughly) could be cut back substantially if one didn't care about accent. I'm very very particular about my French accent, and I sincerely believe it has potentially as much as doubled my study hours. Although now I don't lose too much time on perfecting accent, in the early stages I spent a massive amount of time working on it when it's all added up. Also- the learning process has been slow. I spent sooo much time fiddling with flashcards. All in all this is what happens with the first language one attempts to bring up to an advanced level- lot's of trial and error.

In short roughly 5000 hours total.
But from my 'serious start' to now: 3200 hours.
Next language, I think I'll halve that time, honestly.
It will most certainly take me longer that 5000 hours since I am a slow learner, but your honesty throughout is greatly appreciated. I am seriously applying myself by investing serious time(hours), so I am hoping for serious results.

Thank you.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:03 am

Carmody wrote:Peter

Many thanks for your sharing so much; greatly appreciated.

Question: Is French In Action no longer a part of your study plan?

Also, thanks so much for your comments:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Carmody wrote:
Peter

Could you do me a favor and remind of how many hours and years you approximate for your study of French? Did you say about 4000 hours and 5-6 yrs? I am a pretty slow learner in my French studies and guesstimate it would probably take me about that much time.

Thanks.

Hey Carmody,

Take a look at the post by smallwhite at the top of this page of my log. There are a couple of links there that my provide you with some clarity regarding your question. Also there is a post half way down page 85 of my log where I answer rdearman and discuss hours studied thus far with French. It's a scary figure, but to clarify - I did many many restarts between 1997 when I started and 2013 in French (not to mention Spanish, Dutch and German - French more so). Thus the 1800 hours of French mentioned in that post to rdearman on top of the 3200 hours is a total guess and could literally be cut out because I did restart literally in 2013. It was 2014 when I really got serious though. And still I repeated a number of courses I had already completed, so the 3200 hours from 2013 to now could substantially be cut back further still... I think with 2000 hours and not too much repetition (a bit is good), decent results could be had. Furthermore it does seem to appear that I'm beyond the B2 level, but that is based on my B2 results and feedback from tutors. Another thing to add. Okay 2000 hours (roughly) could be cut back substantially if one didn't care about accent. I'm very very particular about my French accent, and I sincerely believe it has potentially as much as doubled my study hours. Although now I don't lose too much time on perfecting accent, in the early stages I spent a massive amount of time working on it when it's all added up. Also- the learning process has been slow. I spent sooo much time fiddling with flashcards. All in all this is what happens with the first language one attempts to bring up to an advanced level- lot's of trial and error.

In short roughly 5000 hours total.
But from my 'serious start' to now: 3200 hours.
Next language, I think I'll halve that time, honestly.
It will most certainly take me longer that 5000 hours since I am a slow learner, but your honesty throughout is greatly appreciated. I am seriously applying myself by investing serious time(hours), so I am hoping for serious results.

Thank you.

I have ditched FIA. Unfortunately. It’s going to take far too much time out of my schedule to complete. That’s my reasoning. I’ll come back to it one day, to complete it, likely after my exams.

You know (on time to reach X level), I don’t think I could’ve rushed my French through any faster. It’s the journey I had to take, and now i’m ready for overdrive. I wasn’t ready for that earlier, earlier it was detail detail detail. Now It’s like I’ve finally got out of town have put it into 4th gear on the open road. Still, I’ve not hit the freeway yet, there’s a gear or two left. Take your time if you must Carmody, do what you must do. Those who go native from the beginning, those who rush things, those who take it slow, those who speak from day one, all do what they do because it feels right for them. I’ve done what felt right while trying other things along the way and all in all it’s brough me to where I am. Keep up those hours Carmody!
4 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 am

... Just a quick reflection. I must say, i’m pretty astounded at how much knowledge I have. I mean wow 8-) No wonder I’m a PM
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:32 am

Ummmm, yeah, out with it, I’ve done it again...

When my activity increases on here it’s generally a sign that I’m floundering... 47hours will do that to a (partially) sane man.

Twice i’ve been into the cupboard (walk in robe) riffling through my plastic boxes full of language materials digging around, pulling out glossy shiny courses and putting others back.

I’m back to my “PM’s Big Five” idea, only it’s Big Six (like it was last time). I dunno. Pay no attention to this, if I stick to it for more than a month, it’d be a miracle and then I might’ve earned the right to change my log title... but only maybe... and shhh but i’ve been thinking of not sitting the exam as soon as Nov. ‘18.... but hey, it even passed through my stupid little head today to sit it in May. Very confused. I reserve the right to be ridiculous and I reserve the right to change my mind as much as I like. I do not reserve the right to quit learning French!
7 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:51 am

I'm just going to dribble a little here...

I've been skimming through the latest topics on the forum and can't find anything that's riveting enough to hold my attention. Case discussions are too much for my fatigue -carbohydrates/lack of sleep/more exercise than usual- induced tired body. Mind you somewhere in that discussion I got a faint sense of wanting to learn Russian. Nice idea, but stupid idea (no time - 76 other languages to learn). And I keep thinking the forum is quiet lately, even before I threatened to leave. Perhaps we've discussed everything to death? Or at least others, with my brain power have. Where's the excitement? I need to create some... controversy! I need to make outlandish statements and back them up with little evidence and then get pissed off when people start picking holes in my weak arguments, because I can't be bothered forming decent ones.... etc etc

So... I'm facing a dilemma. It's one I face on a weekly basis. What to do with my language studies or really, what to do with my time. Something else is vying for my attention. I'll call it my next language, but it's in the form of a sport. Marathon kayaking. My father represented Australia numerous times, won international marathons, broke records, won gold at the Commonwealth Games and I trained with him throughout my teenage years and for a little in early 20s. Now the urge is back. My ego wants me to go for gold at over 40 years of age (marathon kayakers can cope at world class standard up to 50yo and potentially a little beyond). This German kayaker for example has had a massive amount of success from early age and beyond 40 and she was a sprinter (use more fast twitch muscle, thus career less likely to last): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birgit_Fischer. Problem is, I have a family, I have French, and I have more languages on my list, the river is not close to my home... dammit. Is this just my ego, or is this realistic? I certainly am a dreamer ;)

So on the language front I'm contemplating routines. Do I do my rotation which I recently posted (four hour blocks that I rotate through): one course/ language mags/TV-listening practise/extensive reading.
Do I do "PMs Big Six"?
Do I tackle French in Action solely solidly for months to get it done once and for all.
Do I do my rotation listed above but put FIA in that rotation instead of other courses.

All in all I've hit a bit of a wall, not one which lacks drive, but one which lacks focus. Since, if I want to stroke my ego and believe I can make it in a sport I haven't solidly trained in for over a decade that takes time, and it takes time to learn languages, especially when you haven't 'completed' your first L2, and when it comes to sport, time is no longer on my side. This is pretty normal stuff for me. A handful of years back I was contemplating taking cycling so serious that I could have a go at making the Tour de France. Believe me, I knew that was a bit ridiculous. I think it's a last-ditch idea in response to ageing. However, kayaking on a regular basis probably won't do me any harm, as I need to at least remain healthy, but how far do I take it and how much am I willing to give up? Or do I take the risk and target C1 in November as planned, then up the kayaking to see what I can do (in the meantime kayaking a little every 2nd day or so, so as not to take too much time from French). You see? I'm pretty ridiculous!

edit: I guess, when I think about it, I owe a lot to my father in terms of my personality today. It was when I was really young ~5 and 6 yo that he went to Europe to represent Australia in kayaking and I still think that that is where my curiosity really came from with regards to other cultures and languages and in particular with a focus on Europe (perhaps with the added curiosity with him being born in Europe as well). Growing up around someone who was sometimes in the media for success in sport also, I think, must've made a decent impression on me. I've either been obsessed with sport or languages since not too long after those trips
5 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:02 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:I'm just going to dribble a little here...

So... I'm facing a dilemma. It's one I face on a weekly basis. What to do with my language studies or really, what to do with my time. Something else is vying for my attention. I'll call it my next language, but it's in the form of a sport. Marathon kayaking. My father represented Australia numerous times, won international marathons, broke records, won gold at the Commonwealth Games and I trained with him throughout my teenage years and for a little in early 20s. Now the urge is back. My ego wants me to go for gold at over 40 years of age (marathon kayakers can cope at world class standard up to 50yo and potentially a little beyond). This German kayaker for example has had a massive amount of success from early age and beyond 40 and she was a sprinter (use more fast twitch muscle, thus career less likely to last): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birgit_Fischer. Problem is, I have a family, I have French, and I have more languages on my list, the river is not close to my home... dammit. Is this just my ego, or is this realistic? I certainly am a dreamer ;)

I think you answered your own question. ;) In my case, I tend to look to other activities when I'm bored or when I'm convinced that I've found the one thing that would make my life complete or somehow make my Earth into a Heaven. I have to realize that not any one activity will likely do this, so perhaps I just need to make what I currently do more exciting.

I've been skimming through the latest topics on the forum and can't find anything that's riveting enough to hold my attention. Case discussions are too much for my fatigue -carbohydrates/lack of sleep/more exercise than usual- induced tired body. Mind you somewhere in that discussion I got a faint sense of wanting to learn Russian. Nice idea, but stupid idea (no time - 76 other languages to learn). And I keep thinking the forum is quiet lately, even before I threatened to leave. Perhaps we've discussed everything to death? Or at least others, with my brain power have. Where's the excitement? I need to create some... controversy! I need to make outlandish statements and back them up with little evidence and then get pissed off when people start picking holes in my weak arguments, because I can't be bothered forming decent ones.... etc etc

I've had a couple of post ideas, maybe I should go ahead and post them. :lol: I do believe that smallwhite has made a good point (one of many of her good points) that on HTLAL, people did experiments and crazy things all of the time: on here, not so much, thus the fewer "intriguing" discussions. On the other site, people did controversial challenges, like doing Assimil Hebrew in two weeks, and such things.

Btw, I blame you for posting that video in the Nordic study group, and for making me watch it, and for contemplating meeting someone to marry in Europe, and for setting up an account at a dating site and spending more time than I should on said site. :? I am considering all options of moving to Europe: going to school there, getting a job there, or marrying there. ;) :lol:
4 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 am

Xenops wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I'm just going to dribble a little here...

I think you answered your own question. ;) In my case, I tend to look to other activities when I'm bored or when I'm convinced that I've found the one thing that would make my life complete or somehow make my Earth into a Heaven. I have to realize that not any one activity will likely do this, so perhaps I just need to make what I currently do more exciting.

Interesting comments... I think you must be at least partially right if I apply the same reflections to myself. Or completely right... or not right at all (just covering all bases).

Xenops wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I've been skimming through the latest topics on the forum and can't find anything that's riveting enough to hold my attention. Case discussions are too much for my fatigue -carbohydrates/lack of sleep/more exercise than usual- induced tired body. Mind you somewhere in that discussion I got a faint sense of wanting to learn Russian. Nice idea, but stupid idea (no time - 76 other languages to learn). And I keep thinking the forum is quiet lately, even before I threatened to leave. Perhaps we've discussed everything to death? Or at least others, with my brain power have. Where's the excitement? I need to create some... controversy! I need to make outlandish statements and back them up with little evidence and then get pissed off when people start picking holes in my weak arguments, because I can't be bothered forming decent ones.... etc etc

I've had a couple of post ideas, maybe I should go ahead and post them. :lol: I do believe that smallwhite has made a good point (one of many of her good points) that on HTLAL, people did experiments and crazy things all of the time: on here, not so much, thus the fewer "intriguing" discussions. On the other site, people did controversial challenges, like doing Assimil Hebrew in two weeks, and such things.

Btw, I blame you for posting that video in the Nordic study group, and for making me watch it, and for contemplating meeting someone to marry in Europe, and for setting up an account at a dating site and spending more time than I should on said site. :? I am considering all options of moving to Europe: going to school there, getting a job there, or marrying there. ;) :lol:

Yeah, sounds reasonable, your comments regarding challenges etc that smallwhite had theorised on.

Any luck yet? I expect to be invited to the wedding! Maybe if it ends up being in the Faeroe Islands, you could invite all of us from the forum, all expenses paid for by the Faeroese Government on the grounds of cultural expansation/exploration (whatever is best PC for their gov’t), as they will also be paying for all of our Faeroese language courses and we’ll be all speaking to each other in this language at the wedding. We’re going to need at least 6 months off work back home for the duration of this challenge too, so if they could foot the bill for that too? Great, ready everybody... 6 months full time Faeroese A0 to C2 begins... now! :? ? Edit: Also if you could kindly request from their government that these courses be all made in various base languages (i’ll take Faeroese from a French base thanks!).
4 x

Return to “Language logs”