Glossika Product Updates

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Re: Glossika Product Updates

Postby Saim » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:20 pm

languist wrote:I was being slightly hyperbolic - but the list he posted is rather close to the standard lists you would see on somewhere like forvo or indeed omniglot - and I mean, the entire list.

You're right, it doesn't seem like there's any actual criteria in the list and no matter how "collaborative" the efforts or "streamlined" the production is going to be I seriously doubt they even have started contact with speakers of what, every European minority language and Khoekhoegowab and Mingrelian and a handful of Australian languages and every major African language. Yes, we live in a digital globalised world but that kind of coordination needs more funding and people to get done in a year.

Maybe Campbell is suffering from massive wanderlust and these are all the languages he wishes he had good resources for. :P

This is also kind of suss:

Levantine Arabic [...] Syrian Arabic

What is Levantine, then? Lebanese? Palestinian?

It almost seems like he made a typological sample then added European minority languages and conlangs.
4 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 am

I just hope my $30/month will be bringing Basque and some other regional languages to Glossika. Welsh and Catalan are both there already (and free to boot!) so that is already nice. I'd also love to see some more of the larger Chinese regional languages like Shanghainese. I'm also optimistic about the grammar bits, i'm hoping that Glossika becomes more than just a pile of sentences and can provide some more detailed grammar information for those of us interested in that sort of thing. Or even just explanations/translations of individual words.

The courses still have mistakes, the "online-only" structure is still a pain (the "download" option is a nice feature, but now you don't even have a PDF to refer to so this audio only approach still kinda sucks), but overall i'm satisfied with the overall content. I've been using it for French, Dutch, Cantonese, and Welsh. I like not having to scroll through PDFs or print them out. I've sent in probably close to a hundred error reports with no indication that they have even been looked at. I haven't seen any changes, at least. So mixed feelings about the implementation, but i do see a lot of potential and think if they get their act together they will have a really amazing product (one that's actually worth the $30/month price tag).
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:47 am

crush wrote:I just hope my $30/month will be bringing Basque and some other regional languages to Glossika. Welsh and Catalan are both there already (and free to boot!) so that is already nice. I'd also love to see some more of the larger Chinese regional languages like Shanghainese. I'm also optimistic about the grammar bits, i'm hoping that Glossika becomes more than just a pile of sentences and can provide some more detailed grammar information for those of us interested in that sort of thing. Or even just explanations/translations of individual words.

The courses still have mistakes, the "online-only" structure is still a pain (the "download" option is a nice feature, but now you don't even have a PDF to refer to so this audio only approach still kinda sucks), but overall i'm satisfied with the overall content. I've been using it for French, Dutch, Cantonese, and Welsh. I like not having to scroll through PDFs or print them out. I've sent in probably close to a hundred error reports with no indication that they have even been looked at. I haven't seen any changes, at least. So mixed feelings about the implementation, but i do see a lot of potential and think if they get their act together they will have a really amazing product (one that's actually worth the $30/month price tag).

I agree.

Regarding errors, I did see one or two corrections, but I think usually by the time a sentence gets corrected, it would have been dropped from my reviews anyway, so I don’t see the correction unless they are very fast or I take a break. I’m glad that you do send corrections though. Even if you don’t benefit personally, those behind you do. And we depend on more advanced people marking the sentences because beginners might not even recognize when something is wrong.
1 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Regarding errors, I did see one or two corrections, but I think usually by the time a sentence gets corrected, it would have been dropped from my reviews anyway, so I don’t see the correction unless they are very fast or I take a break. I’m glad that you do send corrections though. Even if you don’t benefit personally, those behind you do. And we depend on more advanced people marking the sentences because beginners might not even recognize when something is wrong.

I recently had a surgery done and stopped using Glossika for a little over a month. The error reports i sent in the day before the surgery had either been glossed over or not seen yet. I've been beginning to wonder if my reports are getting erased, since after sending in a report it marks the sentence to be thrown out. Usually it's not enough of an error for me to want to delete the sentence, so i untrash it. I've been beginning to wonder if untrashing it somehow removes the error report? Some reports are for bad translations which might require rerecording the audio, so i can understand that those would take a long time (probably better to wait until you have a good number to rerecord to save on recording costs), but some are just that the IPA is incorrect or the spoken sentence doesn't match the written one and would be very simple to correct. I'm going through four languages now and haven't seen any changes in any of them. So i dunno. Some sort of notification saying your report was processed and the action taken (accepted, denied, read, whatever) would be nice.
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:17 pm

crush wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:Regarding errors, I did see one or two corrections, but I think usually by the time a sentence gets corrected, it would have been dropped from my reviews anyway, so I don’t see the correction unless they are very fast or I take a break. I’m glad that you do send corrections though. Even if you don’t benefit personally, those behind you do. And we depend on more advanced people marking the sentences because beginners might not even recognize when something is wrong.

I recently had a surgery done and stopped using Glossika for a little over a month. The error reports i sent in the day before the surgery had either been glossed over or not seen yet. I've been beginning to wonder if my reports are getting erased, since after sending in a report it marks the sentence to be thrown out. Usually it's not enough of an error for me to want to delete the sentence, so i untrash it. I've been beginning to wonder if untrashing it somehow removes the error report? Some reports are for bad translations which might require rerecording the audio, so i can understand that those would take a long time (probably better to wait until you have a good number to rerecord to save on recording costs), but some are just that the IPA is incorrect or the spoken sentence doesn't match the written one and would be very simple to correct. I'm going through four languages now and haven't seen any changes in any of them. So i dunno. Some sort of notification saying your report was processed and the action taken (accepted, denied, read, whatever) would be nice.

Yeah, I only saw one or two of my corrections come back into my reviews and I wonder if maybe it was a glitch that I got them back. Now, I usually wait a few days before flagging something if I don’t want it to disappear.
0 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:41 am

I saw, somewhere, a list of the topic covered in old glossika fluency123 courses described in terms of what the learner would be able to do after each stage. (Describe events in the past). Maybe this is on a page that has been taken down. Does anybody know where this is?
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:33 am

Content & Schedule

3 books — 3000 sentences — 10 months of content (on suggested schedule of 20 min/day). 120+ hours Spaced Repetition Audio Training by native speaker.

Master the Material

Gradual progression from A1 to B2 Level (CEFR). Master 4000+ words and how to use them in the real world using collocation drills.

Science-Based Tools

Describe a thing or person
Ask & give names
Ask & answer where someone / something is and where he / she / it's from
Ask & answer relationship status

Ask & answer whether someone has done something
Ask & answer whether something has been done (by someone)
Ask & answer how things are made or done
Ask & answer when things were built / broken / repaired / invented / cleaned / washed
Ask & answer when / how things are used

Expressing emotion verbs: expect / regret / remember / remind / warn / suggest / love / hate
Expressing how to make someone do something
Expressing trying to do something
Expressing what needs to get done
Ask & answer what you would have done or love to have done
Expressing by what means and in what way you can get something done
Expressing why you don't need to get something done

https://glossika.com/courses/whats-inside?lang=en
3 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Thank you!
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Gaelic has been released as another free course at Glossika.
4 x

lsilvaj

Postby lsilvaj » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 am

Are the sentences in the new Glossika the same ones as in the old books? Like "My brother and I are good tennis players". :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”