Jaleel's Spanish Log, 2018.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Jaleel's Spanish Log, 2018.

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi

First ever log.

Goal of this log:
* Holding myself accountable
* Tracking my progress
* Motivation

Why and when did I want to learn and why Spanish. And why a log ?

Long story short. Early last year I had a tough bout with mental health and in turn developed some bad habits. What better way to try and combat both ? Saw some people and did some research and seems that language learning is a good hobby to have and it has many benifits. I was pleasantly suprised to hear this. I've always wanted to learn, I just never knew how and what it took.

Why Spanish ?Looking back it was probably fickle lol. I am in love football but more specifically Spanish football. Seeing the love and passion the footballers, fans, communities, the countries have for the sport. If I could even have a piece of that from the comfort of my home - it would be fantastic. Over time I began to fall in love with the cultures, the difference in cultures, the uniqueness in cultures and the history.

Why a log ?
I have a pretty hard time holding myself accountable lol. Since I began studying in March 2017 till today I could probably count maybe three months of active study lol. I'd constantly change apps, books, courses. Couple that with my mental health and having a full-time job, it was also going to be a struggle lol. So in late November I made a choice. I would commit in 2018. I'd buy myself a decent course(s) and have a decent study schedule. And I am making this log to make sure I stick to said schedule.

Goals

* I have no immediate or near future desire to go to a Spanish speaking country. So even though I want good verbal skills but if I can do the occasional video or voice message/call to my spanish speaking friends I will be content at whatever level I feel I am comfortable at.
* To comprehend and understand most Spanish television and radio.
* To be able to read and write in Spanish.

Cringy message to myself:
You can do this right now.
No one is stopping you.
No one can do it for you.
And you cannot do it for someone else.

Edit: Just adding and updating my goals
Courses update:

Assimil 1st Wave: : 88 / 100/100 lessons
Assimil 2nd Wave: : 38 / 100/100 lessons
Paul Noble: : 14 / 14/13.5 hours
Michel Thomas: : 17 / 17/16.6 hours
Babbel - Beginners Course: : 112 / 112/112 lessons
Language Transfer Complete Spanish : 15 / 15/14.7 hours

Personal challenges

B1 and B2 Graded Readers: : 5 / 20/20 books
Active listening practice (using learner podcasts and graded readers): : 33 / 60/60 hours

Future goals:
Active listening practice (using tv shows)
Last edited by Jaleel10 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
6 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: Jaleel's Spanish Log, 2018.

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:56 pm

January Log:

24/01/2018

Journey thus far and general planning:
* Bought Assimil in December and have studied from it since 2 January. Really comfortable with it and really enjoying it.
* A bad habit crept up lol. I also bought Babbel. Again. But this time I'm actually enjoying it and managing my expectations well. Will be using it complimentary to Assimil.
* Joined a Whatsapp group mixed with natives and learners.
* Used Glossika for a fair bit but noticed it had quite a few errors and with the way I was using it I had to spend at least 90 minutes on it per day. So I dropped and will be pursuing alternatives.
* Looking to study actively from a bunch of audiobooks, ebooks, and tv series I've set aside. As well as articles from El País.
* Will try to listen to more radio and music, passively.
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:30 pm

January Log:

24/01/2018

Plans for February.
* Add Grammar book to current study plan.
* Relisten to Language Transfer, Complete Spanish. Follow it up with Learn Spanish with Paul Noble.
* Add tv shows to active study plan
* Begin writing in Spanish.

Available resources:
Audio/text:
* Assimil Spanish with Ease
* Babbel
Audio
* Language Transfer
* Paul Noble
* Michel Thomas
Grammar Books
* Spanish Demystified, 2nd Edition
* Complete Spanish, Step-by-Step
TV Shows
* Paquita Salas
* Gran Hotel
Cartoons
* Ricky and Morty
* Adventure Time
Books (+audiobooks)
* Harry Potter, y la piedra filosofal
* Una Operacion Arriesgada
* El misterio de la llave

Current Study Schedule:
Weekdays
* 07h00 - 07h30. Babbel (Max 2 lessons)
* 19h00 - 20h00. Read (and listen) from one of the books (max two paragraphs). Make flashcards of unknown phrases and words.
* 20h00 - 21h00. Assimil (Max 2 lessons)

Weekends
* 07h00 - 08h00. Babbel (Max 4 lessons)
* 11h00 - 12h00. Books (Max 2 paragraphs)
* 16h00 - 16h30. Books (Max 1 para.)
* 19h00 - 20h00. Assimil (Max 2 lessons)
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:38 am

January Log:

25/01/2018

Really struggling with commiting to flashcards. It genuinely might not be for me. Looking into trying the Goldlist method as a supplementary method to my main routine instead.
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 am

January Log

30/01/2018

Glossika roped me back in again :(. But I'm not gonna use it until I finish both the audio courses I am busy with.

Currently my study schedule looks like this.

Weekdays

06AM - Michel Thomas (20 minutes or 3 lessons)
07AM - Babbel (20 minutes)
01PM - Clozemaster (20 min.)
7.30PM - Grammar Book (20 min)
8.30PM - Assimil (30 Min)

Total of ~ 1.5 hours per day.

Michel Thomas course is about 16.5 hours. So if I do twenty minutes per day with a bit more on the weekend I will finish it in 7 weeks . That'll be in the week of my birthday too, coincidentally lol

Babbel and Clozemaster I'll use until I can sustain my learning through podcasts, tv, writing and books.

My grammar book has around 350 exercises. So that should take me about 4 months. After that I want to switch to an all Spanish Grammar Book

Assimil. I'm on track to finish around late May.

I will be looking to get a 'Skype' partner at the start of March.

Edit: Schedule
Last edited by Jaleel10 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:24 pm

Welcome, I too am learning Spanish. I have used many of the usual resources Assimil, Michel Thomas, Glossika, iTalki, etc

I have a log (in fact I'm now on my second log) and I have found that it has helped me immensely. I log all my achievements and try hard to ignore all my misjudgements and procrastination along the way :lol: :lol: :lol:

As you probably know by now the other members here are extremely supportive and helpful (and much more knowledgeable than me) and there is a goldmine of information available in other logs, even if they are learning a different language.

So again welcome and I look forward to reading your log.
2 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:22 am

:D Hi Bex. Thanks for the welcome and message. I will also be following your log. I'm just trying to stick to my schedule lol and not get swept up by all the of resources available. In January alone I used and dropped like 5 different resources lol. But now I'm comfortable with the one I have now.

I don't really have people to 'compete' with learning Spanish. I signed up for the 6WC but you are now officially my rival. :lol:
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:36 am

February 2018

Screenshot_2018-02-01-11-21-16.png

Screenshot_2018-02-01-11-21-08.png

First month of studies and my first month with Assimil and Babbel.

Will be creating one for Clozemaster as well. I already did for my grammar book but that was recently.

Will be looking to improve my reading and listening but only at the start April. I just need to increase my vocabulary first. Clozemaster kinda does both but it's obviously not a replacements for books, tv, and people.

I will still be watching TV (active and passive). Active: Misterio del Tiempo and Ricky and Morty (also the nature docs on Netflix). I'm just gonna put on the spanish subtitles and 'enjoy'. Passive: Chicas del Cable. I'm watching it with Eng. subs but I love the show so much lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:49 am

Jaleel10 wrote:I don't really have people to 'compete' with learning Spanish. I signed up for the 6WC but you are now officially my rival. :lol:

Excellent...happy to be your rival :D

I have started to use Clozemaster (yesterday properly, I have dabbled previously) and I am using the "all sentences" tracks and not the "fluency fast track", currently working my way through 101-500 most common words. Which are you using?
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:41 pm

Bex wrote:I have started to use Clozemaster (yesterday properly, I have dabbled previously) and I am using the "all sentences" tracks and not the "fluency fast track", currently working my way through 101-500 most common words. Which are you using?

Also just dabbled (immediately looks up what's dabble is in Spanish - incursionar. Suprisingly no word with a natural translation in my native Afrikaans. I digress). Today I started with Fluency Fast Track. I did 70 sentences today. But I'm assuming with the SRS reviews and such that total might be 30 - 40ish per day (more on weekends). If I did my calculations correctly that equals..... a lot.

I just want to build up a vocabulary. I read Harry Potter the other day and was looking up more than 20 words per page lol. I was exhausted. But I'm learning a lot through the stuff I'm using at the moment so I'm confident in a few months I can move onto books.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”