Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: PASSWORD Security

Postby Cainntear » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:44 pm

...although I'm not sure the number of inches in a foot is a fair, culturally neutral question for the human check.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Cainntear wrote:...although I'm not sure the number of inches in a foot is a fair, culturally neutral question for the human check.

Feel free to PM me some questions! It is bloody difficult to think of them. :)
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Do the questions come in other languages for those whose English isn’t that good?
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Cainntear wrote:...although I'm not sure the number of inches in a foot is a fair, culturally neutral question for the human check.

I do consider myself a human being and I absolutely have no idea how many inches a foot has. 8? 12?

Maybe, you could ask for how many centimetres a metre has instead? Or how many minutes an hour has?
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Do the questions come in other languages for those whose English isn’t that good?

I always get all my CAPTCHA questions in English :) . There's no other option.

--------
For me as a non-native English speaker (or as an English learner), the question about how many inches a foot has isn't a hard one, I can google it (what I did :D ) Also the question of military time is one of the easiest for me because I accidentally (from a series I've watched) know what it is. But I've never been able to give the right answer to the question about the grinner grass :? even though I know the saying (we have it in Russian as well).

On the plus side, the CAPTCHA has become a kind of language learning tool for me :lol:
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:35 pm

Josquin wrote:

I do consider myself a human being and I absolutely have no idea how many inches a foot has. 8? 12?

Maybe, you could ask for how many centimetres a metre has instead? Or how many minutes an hour has?

The problem is that bots can use google too. So anything which turns up in the very first google result is used. Which is why we don't use math questions like 1+2= because google will tell the bot the answer. I've tried to come up with questions which a human would need to respond.

Brun Ugle wrote:Do the questions come in other languages for those whose English isn’t that good?

Sure I could make them in other languages, but what are you going do do if the question comes up in Mandarin, then French, then Wolof ? You have missed 3 answers and you're locked out. Then you have to wait until an Admin comes online to unlock you. Also the rules tell you that:

Language: All posts should be in English, apart from the multilingual rooms, logs and challenges, where other languages are allowed. When in doubt the default language is English.

We'll have to stick with English, and try to use questions that aren't easily googleable.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:59 pm

I had the security question this morning asking what the emergency telephone number in the UK was. I had no idea what it was and realised I had no idea what is was for most of the world except here in Australia and the U.S. :?
0 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:08 pm

999 in case anyone's wondering. 101 for police non-emergencies. What's Australia's?
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 am

rdearman wrote:

Sure I could make them in other languages, but what are you going do do if the question comes up in Mandarin, then French, then Wolof ? You have missed 3 answers and you're locked out. Then you have to wait until an Admin comes online to unlock you. Also the rules tell you that:

Language: All posts should be in English, apart from the multilingual rooms, logs and challenges, where other languages are allowed. When in doubt the default language is English.

We'll have to stick with English, and try to use questions that aren't easily googleable.

I didn’t mean random languages. :roll: I meant that the question would match whatever language the person had set as their interface language.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:54 am

Bluepaint wrote:999 in case anyone's wondering. 101 for police non-emergencies. What's Australia's?

1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”