Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby cathrynm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:16 am

Hey guys. Am I not in 'Team Nordic'? I lose track, really over the years.

After JLPT N3 this December, I find myself back at clozemaster.com, poking away on the Finnish sentences. Starting to ramp up on that again, I'm feeling.

https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=721
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:03 am

I'll post this one just to warm up the board a little.

Asiat lähtivät täysin lapasesta.

Translation to:Things got out of hand.
Or I think more literally "Things slipped completely out of the mittens."
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:41 am

Systematiker wrote:I'm hoping to put some serious effort into Swedish here in the first part of the year, and get some better productive skills

Of course! The Swedish FSI work! I'd forgotten completely about that :?

cathrynm wrote:I'll post this one just to warm up the board a little.

Asiat lähtivät täysin lapasesta.

Translation to:Things got out of hand.
Or I think more literally "Things slipped completely out of the mittens."

I've added your name and log to the first post :) And I love that phrase! I think I definitely need to listen to more Finnish - I still have basically no idea how it ought to sound.
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:43 am

Do you have recommendations for (printed) Swedish dictionaries?
So far this looked like the best one I could get around here from 2015: click. But it's quite expensive. The equivalent in Spanish from the same publisher would cost about half the price .
However, there's an older version of the same dictionary from 1997: click.
Does anyone know how much the language changed in between? What about words for technical devices? What other words changed in between? How many words are nowadays subtituted by a synonym?

Or do you have other recommendations? (E.g. I didn't look what PONS has for Swedish.)

My other criteria are:
1. Including hints for pronounciation. IPA or based on a language like German or Finnish. No English description of the sounds like "eew" or "wah" etc.
2. German based, if possible. (And for Swedish I expect it to be possible.)
3. Affordable price. I'd say the maximum is 20€ for now. I don't know how long I will keep going with Swedish, so at the moment I don't have the desire to spend more money on it than necessary.

The dictionary above is supposed to have around 85000 headwords. But also a smaller or larger one is ok, if it meets the criteria.

I might even get along with a nice pdf with words in alphabetical order, that I could just print out. The amount of words could be reduced in that case. But even then the pronounciation should be written down somehow.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm hoping to finally reach a solid B2 in Norwegian so that I can dabble in Swedish at last, but I'm not sure it will happen because I don't have anything planned for leaving my comfort zone in Norwegian.
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 pm

tiia wrote:Do you have recommendations for (printed) Swedish dictionaries? Does anyone know how much the language changed in between? What about words for technical devices? What other words changed in between? How many words are nowadays subtituted by a synonym? Or do you have other recommendations? (E.g. I didn't look what PONS has for Swedish.)

I doubt there's a huge difference. Most new words I know about are either plain English (smartphone / app / selfie) or Swedish translations of English words (username -> användarnamn, cookies -> kakor). Your knowledge of English and German will probably take you a long way at those rare times.

One option if you want to spend as little as possible, would be to get the 1997 edition for €6 used on Amazon and then combine it with updated word lists. SAOL publishes a list every year covering "new words" and you'll find all of them on their site going back to year 2000. Datatermgruppen keeps an updated list on their site with all recommended computer terms.

A word of caution about SAOL though. Some of the words never take off (difficult to predict the future) and some have probably never been used in real life. studsmattesjuka and rugbyförälder. Seriously? It wouldn't hurt to do a quick search to make sure that each word is mentioned in other sentences than when newspapers publish the yearly SAOL list.
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 pm

tiia wrote:Do you have recommendations for (printed) Swedish dictionaries?

jeff_lindqvist wrote:This will probably work as an offline resource - Svenska språknämndens uttalsordbok 67 000 ord i svenskan och deras uttal (by Claes Garlén).

"Uttalsuppgifterna anges med det internationella fonetiska alfabetet, IPA. Ordboken blir på så sätt mer användbar utomlands än om något annat, svenskt, system hade använts. IPA är också det system som normalt används i läromedel för t.ex. engelska, franska och tyska, liksom i de flesta större ordböcker."

... which means that IPA is used.

(I quoted myself)
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Stefan wrote:
tiia wrote:Do you have recommendations for (printed) Swedish dictionaries? Does anyone know how much the language changed in between? What about words for technical devices? What other words changed in between? How many words are nowadays subtituted by a synonym? Or do you have other recommendations? (E.g. I didn't look what PONS has for Swedish.)

I doubt there's a huge difference. Most new words I know about are either plain English (smartphone / app / selfie) or Swedish translations of English words (username -> användarnamn, cookies -> kakor). Your knowledge of English and German will probably take you a long way at those rare times.

One option if you want to spend as little as possible, would be to get the 1997 edition for €6 used on Amazon and then combine it with updated word lists. SAOL publishes a list every year covering "new words" and you'll find all of them on their site going back to year 2000. Datatermgruppen keeps an updated list on their site with all recommended computer terms.

A word of caution about SAOL though. Some of the words never take off (difficult to predict the future) and some have probably never been used in real life. studsmattesjuka and rugbyförälder. Seriously? It wouldn't hurt to do a quick search to make sure that each word is mentioned in other sentences than when newspapers publish the yearly SAOL list.

Thanks for the lists. I may find out how I can make a single, alphabetical list out of those 17 seperate ones.
In German there are similar new words added each year, with the same issue, that you never know which ones will be the relevant ones. Although relevant ones are usually somehow known by natives before they're added.

How much the (Swedish) language changes is just an aspect I don't know as the very beginner that I still am. I've only heard about adding "hen", because that got some attention in the media even outside of Sweden.

Plus, I have a small German-Finnish-German pocket dictionary from 1999. There are a few entries that just show it's a bit older, e.g. the word for sister: From the German Schwester I only get the translation sisar. But nowadays the more common word is actually sisko. However, you find the word sisko in the Finnish-to-German part of the dictionary.
Anyways, in most cases this hasn't been a problem, and I'm still using it every now and then as it's a nice, small and robust dictionary to take around.

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
tiia wrote:Do you have recommendations for (printed) Swedish dictionaries?

jeff_lindqvist wrote:This will probably work as an offline resource - Svenska språknämndens uttalsordbok 67 000 ord i svenskan och deras uttal (by Claes Garlén).

"Uttalsuppgifterna anges med det internationella fonetiska alfabetet, IPA. Ordboken blir på så sätt mer användbar utomlands än om något annat, svenskt, system hade använts. IPA är också det system som normalt används i läromedel för t.ex. engelska, franska och tyska, liksom i de flesta större ordböcker."

... which means that IPA is used.

(I quoted myself)

I don't see that it actually includes any translation of the words into another language (=German)? At my level (=A1?) I doubt I would get along with a Swedish-only dictionary.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:37 pm

tiia wrote:I don't see that it actually includes any translation of the words into another language (=German)? At my level (=A1?) I doubt I would get along with a Swedish-only dictionary.

Oops! You're probably right. I have to check the copy at the library.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Looking again for a swedish dictionary I've found a copy of the Langenscheidt dictionary from 2015 in a used but like new condition for ~13€. I had also found a few copies of the editions between 1997 and 2015, but they were either nearly as old as the old one or had the same price as the new one.

In fact the options for Swedish-German dictionaries on the German market are really limited, though still larger than those for Finnish or other smaller/not so often learned learned languages.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”