Spoon's 2018 attempt at success [ ES | IT | EO | DE? ] + Greek FLC

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Spoon's 2018 attempt at success [ ES | IT | EO | DE? ] + Greek FLC

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:04 pm

Bienvenidos/Benvenuti/Bonvenon/Willkommen/Welcome to my 2018 log!

Previous log: Stirring up 2017 with Spoon [ Español | Italiano | Esperanto | Deutsch? ]

Well, here we are again. A new year, a new start. Now I'm not going to dwell too much on how lacklustre I thought 2017 was, as I aim to make a conscious effort this year to look forward at what I am going to do next, rather than backwards at what I wanted to do/should have done but did not do.

If anyone is interested, my bio, language history etc. can be found on my previous logs and of course, I am always open to questions, so if there is anything in particular you would like to know, fire away. :P

In the interest of looking forward but not setting myself too many objectives to fall short of or goals which are hopelessly out of reach, I'm starting the year with some simple guidelines I would like to follow and I would like to share an idea I have floating around in my brain, just in case I ever get around to doing something with it.

Español
The short time I have spent chatting in Spanish with friends over Christmas has reminded me how much I love being able to speak this language at the level I do. However, it has also highlighted the gaps in my knowledge and overall decay in my level of fluency caused by speaking English 99% of the time. Sea como sea, I have to make using Spanish a more prominent part of my life this year; be that by hiring a tutor, trying to find a conversation partner online or even going to the Spanish conversation evening I never had time to go to in my old job.

Italiano
Poor Italian was left to look on from the sidelines in 2017, but that won't be the case this year. One evening last year, when I was feeling particularly positive, I bought the Routledge Reference Grammar of Modern Italian and I have every intention working through at least some of it. I also want to make actually using Italian a priority, as watching my favourite youtubers every day is all well and good, but I am not going to improve the quality of my Italian output that way. I'll probably start by taking part in more Telegram chat groups to build up my confidence and then look for a conversation partner or something, as with Spanish.

Esperanto
I am painfully close to finishing the Esperanto tree on Duolingo (yes, I still haven't finished that yet :lol: ) so I'm doing that this year, just to say that I've done it. I also really want to go to an Esperanto event, so I'll have to start planning that when I've earned a few more holiday days at work (it's complicated). Finally, Amikumu is a thing, so I am going to go back to actually using it and hope to reconnect with the one other esperantist in my area. :P

Deutsch
Hmm, German... I'm not actually sure what I'm doing with German at the moment. I still listen to the couple of bands I mentioned on my previous log (Saltatio Mortis and Subway to Sally) when they come on shuffle on Spotify. I also still watch 'Learn German with Anja' on Youtube which is, as always, quite fun. Actually, now that she is using more German in her videos, I am finding that I understand more and more without looking at the subtitles or waiting for her to translate what she just said. Again, these are just baby steps, but it's nice to be puzzling through a new language again.

Other:
I also aim to read more and use more, varied forms of media (such as podcasts and tv programmes, rather than my usual Youtube) in all my languages this year, including English.

The idea
Now, the bit you have all been waiting for (or maybe not); it's time for me to reveal my big idea. I'm thinking about making a podcast! I'm not actually sure whether 'podcast' is the right word to use here, as my first idea was to simply upload my target language ramblings that I record occasionally onto my log here (somehow), as a kind of audio log. However, I didn't think anyone would want to hear me chatting away about my sad little life in mistake-laden Spanish/Italian and I was sure I would have to edit out the more personal things I talk about. That made me consider creating something deliberately planned out and edited, such as a podcast, which lead on to thoughts about what the hell I would talk about, as I do not think I have anything new or interesting to share that has not been done before. So that's where I am now... :?
Last edited by Spoonary on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Re: Spoon's 2018 attempt at success [ ES | IT | EO | DE? ]

Postby Stelle » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:41 pm

Spoonary wrote:Now, the bit you have all been waiting for (or maybe not); it's time for me to reveal my big idea. I'm thinking about making a podcast! I'm not actually sure whether 'podcast' is the right word to use here, as my first idea was to simply upload my target language ramblings that I record occasionally onto my log here (somehow), as a kind of audio log. However, I didn't think anyone would want to hear me chatting away about my sad little life in mistake-laden Spanish/Italian and I was sure I would have to edit out the more personal things I talk about. That made me consider creating something deliberately planned out and edited, such as a podcast, which lead on to thoughts about what the hell I would talk about, as I do not think I have anything new or interesting to share that has not been done before. So that's where I am now... :?
I'll be your first listener!
4 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Aww Stelle! Thanks a lot, but you may just regret that :lol:
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Week commencing 01/01/2018
Instead of simply listing what I did this week, which is (other than working) not a lot, I would also like to discuss a topic I have been thinking about recently - internet celebs' merchandise (random, I know!). I am going to do this in Spanish, because I have been inspired by Brun Ugle's self-imposed challenge to write her entire log in Spanish this year. However, I have commitment issues, so I'm just going to write at least something in one of my target languages each time I update my log (be that one paragraph or a whole page of ramblings). :P

La Mercancía de los Youtubers
Ya sabréis, supongo, que a mí me gusta ver vídeos en Youtube; particularmente aquellos que tratan de los videojuegos. De hecho llevo como 6 o 7 años viendo casi exclusivamente youtube y evitando la tele tradicional. Al princípio veía vídeos solamente en inglés, pero con el paso del tiempo, y a medida que avanzaban mis estudios de idiomas, empecé a buscar contenido en castellano, italiano, esperanto, portugués y hasta en gallego. Mantengo que fueron esos vídeos que veía en youtube los que realmente me ayudaron a hacer del español parte de mi vida cotidiana. Y fue durante el primer año de la carrera, cuando me estaba desesperando porque no lograba mejorar, cuando más me hacía falta encontrar algo que me ayudara así.

No quiero enrollarme demasiado, así que vamos al grano. Hoy en día, es muy común que la gente que hace vídeos en Youtube pueda ganarse la vida con el dinero que gana de los anuncios que Google pone en sus vídeos, lo que ya es otro tema aparte al que discutir :?. Sin embargo, hay los que también crean algún tipo de mercancía que sus fans puedan comprar, o, en el caso de una camiseta etc., para identificarse como fan de ese canal/esa persona, o, si se trata de un libro/disco etc. para tener algo físico que representa sus personajes de Youtube favoritos. Por supuesto, todo esto, por parte del youtuber en sí, se basa principalmente en lucrarse lo más posible.

Quiero adelantar que yo, en un principio, estoy a favor de que los 'estrellas' de Youtube se ganen la vida de la manera que les parezca mejor. Yo no soy nadie para decir que deberían crear su contenido cada día/semana para que gente como yo pueda disfrutar de ello, sin recibir nada a cambio. Sin embargo, cabe destacar que la calidad de estos productos varia muchísimo, y a veces me pregunto como consiguen dormir algunos youtubers, sabiendo que adolescentes hayan rogado a sus padres que les compren, a precios elevados, unas tonterías con la cara de fulanito de youtube impresa encima. :roll:

Como digo, me parece bien que creen algún contenido más para que su audiencia pueda tener algo tangible relacionado con sus youtubers preferidos, y de hecho, yo he comprado varias cosas así durante los años que llevo viendo Youtube. Para ser precisa, acabo de recibir un libro (comprado) de uno de mis youtubers italianos preferidos, y de ahí surgió la idea de hacer esta discusión, de hecho. En la época en la que veía únicamente canales en inglés, compré un par de camisetas y un cd (de Hank Green de los vlogbrothers, que seguí religiosamente durante un par de años), aunque desde haber empezado a disfrutar de canales en otros idiomas, lo único que me he comprado han sido libros (y de estos he comprado 4).

Mis razones por comprar esos libros fueron tres: primero, para recompensar, aunque sea con poco, a los youtubers (y otra gente de internet) que me entretienen a menudo y que de alguna manera me han ayudado a mejorar mi comprensión auditiva; segundo, porque me interesa lo que tengan que decir en sus libros, aunque sea mínimamente, y tercero, porque sus libros me valen como lecturas en español/italiano, de las que hago bien pocas. :P

Para los que estéis interesados, aquí os dejo una lista de los libros que he comprado:
- Aquí cada cual con sus cosas - Yellow Mellow - Melo es la youtuber española que llevo más tiempo siguiendo y en un principio este libro me gustó, ya que como ella hace siempre, me hizo mucha gracia. Sin embargo, la mayoría del contenido del libro lo sacó directamente de sus vídeos, que ya había visto :|

- Sgrammaticando - Fiorella Atzori - El canal principal de Fiorella (Sgrammaticando) empezó como algo dedicado a los italianos, para que aprendieran a prestar más atención a su uso de su lengua madre y que evitaran los errores más comunes. Sin embargo, ha evolucionado hasta ser un canal príncipalmente dedicado a los estudiantes del italiano. Desde mi punto de vista, este libro fue diseñado más para la primera audiencia - los italianos - aunque creo que habrán sido los estudiantes los que más ejemplares compramos. El libro me gustó, porque no esperaba que fuera una guía exhaustiva de la gramática italiana, pero tengo la sensación de que habrá alguna gente que pensaba que así era.

- Un figlio e ho detto tutto -
The Pozzolis Family
- Éste libro es algo distinto, ya que primero, no lo escribió un youtuber, sino una pareja de cómicos profesionales/estrellas de Facebook, The Pozzolis Family; y segundo, porque trata de un tema que a mí no me interesa para nada - el embarazo y la paternidad :lol: Sin embargo, los vídeos que hacen Alice y Giamma me hacen un montón de gracia, así que compré su libro para disfrutar de más de su excelente sentido del humor. Todavía no he leído el libro así que ya os diré qué me ha parecido cuando lo lea.

- Ho sbagliato più di te - Nicola Palmieri - Nicola (también conocido como Redez) es uno de los creadores de Quei due sul server, un canal youtube dedicado a los videojuegos, pero también tiene un canal totalmente suyo, Tutto Sbagliato que trata de curiosidades y temas varios. El libro parece ser bastante introspectivo, y no sé muy bien cómo será, pero ya veré. Éste es el libro que me acaba de llegar y es el que pretendo leer después de haber terminado mi lectura actual en inglés (Spectacles, la autobiografía de la cómica Sue Perkins, por si os interesaba).

Como véis, los libros que he comprado son bastante variados, pero las razones por haberlos comprado siguen siendo las mismas: para recompensar a la gente que sigo en internet por su trabajo, y para tener otra cosa con la que entretenerme. A fin de cuentas, no es esa última la razón por la que todos nos compramos estas tonterías? :P

Back to English now...
Wow, that conclusion was a bit weak, but I have spent over 2 hours writing this mammoth post (which I never expected to be so long), so I hope you'll forgive me for that. Maybe next time I'll try to write about something a bit simpler :lol:

In terms of what I have been doing this week with my languages, it basically boils down to listening to a few 'episodes' of that podcast, Nadie Sabe Nada and watching a couple of episodes of the Mexican series Ingobernable on Netflix, which I have been writing about in the Spanish Group.
8 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:58 pm

:o Tu español es buenísimo. Quiero ser como tú.
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Brun Ugle wrote::o Tu español es buenísimo. Quiero ser como tú.

Gracias, lechuza parda, por el cumplido, pero te aseguro que no querrás ser como yo :oops: No te olvides que me ha costado 4 años de carrera universitaria llegar a este punto. Además, desde mi punto de vista, tú ya me estás alcanzando, sino adelantando, y las deudas de ~30 mil libras que tengo yo te las has ahorrado :lol:
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Spoonary wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote::o Tu español es buenísimo. Quiero ser como tú.

Gracias, lechuza parda, por el cumplido, pero te aseguro que no querrás ser como yo :oops: No te olvides que me ha costado 4 años de carrera universitaria llegar a este punto. Además, desde mi punto de vista, tú ya me estás alcanzando, sino adelantando, y las deudas de ~30 mil libras que tengo yo te las has ahorrado :lol:

No sabía que las universidades de Inglaterra eran tan caras. En Noruega casi nos pagan para estudiar. Las universidades estatales no cuestan sino un pequeño gasto administrativo cada semestre. Y podemos sacar un préstamo para gastos de alquilar, comida, libros, etc. El préstamo viene de una institución estatal y hay ciertas restricciones, por supuesto. La suma se fija cada año y no es muy grande, pero si estudias en una ciudad donde sea bastante barata vivir (como aquí en Steinkjer), alcanza para vivir una vida sencilla sin tener que trabajar mucho mientras estudias. Pero lo mejor de todo es que hasta 40 % se convierte en beca cuando apruebes los exámenes. Por eso, no tengo muchas deudas. Sólo tengo que pagar 60 % de lo que tomé prestado.
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:32 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:No sabía que las universidades de Inglaterra eran tan caras. En Noruega casi nos pagan para estudiar. Las universidades estatales no cuestan sino un pequeño gasto administrativo cada semestre. Y podemos sacar un préstamo para gastos de alquilar, comida, libros, etc. El préstamo viene de una institución estatal y hay ciertas restricciones, por supuesto. La suma se fija cada año y no es muy grande, pero si estudias en una ciudad donde sea bastante barata vivir (como aquí en Steinkjer), alcanza para vivir una vida sencilla sin tener que trabajar mucho mientras estudias. Pero lo mejor de todo es que hasta 40 % se convierte en beca cuando apruebes los exámenes. Por eso, no tengo muchas deudas. Sólo tengo que pagar 60 % de lo que tomé prestado.

Sí, en teoría, estudiar a nivel universitario en Inglaterra no es nada barato. De hecho, yo tengo la mitad de las deudas de los estuidiantes de hoy en día, ya que el año después del inicio de mi primer curso, el precio de las matrículas aumentó de unas 3,5 mil libras al año hasta entre 9 y 10 mil. Y no sé si habrán subido de nuevo en los últimos años :roll:

Aquí en el Reino Unido puedes pedir un préstamo del gobierno para pagar la matrícula en sí, y otro para los gastos personales, como la comida, el alquiler etc. Existen también becas que ayudan a la gente cuya familia gana un sueldo por debajo de una cierta cifra con estos últimos gastos, pero no suele ser suficiente dinero para vivir, y por lo tanto se suele pedir el préstamo también. Dicho eso, con el préstamo y (o sin) la beca, uno puede vivir tranquilamente sin trabajar mientras estudia, lo cual está muy bien. :)

El préstamo se debe pagar solamente cuando estés ganando una cantidad predeterminada de dinero, y a ese punto pagas relativamente poco por mes. Además, despues de 25 años, si aún queda algo del préstamo sin pagar, el gobierno lo borra totalmente y ya no hay que pagar nada. Puede que todo eso haya cambiado, pero así era cuando yo hice la carrera (entre 2011 y 2015).

Yo no sabía nada sobre el sistema educativo en Noruega, así que gracias por compartir. :) Eso de que parte de tu préstamo se convierte en beca después de los exámenes me parece una genialidad. Qué manera más chula para compensar a los estudiantes por su esfuerzo!
3 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 pm

I was going to write a new log post yesterday, but I felt a bit of pressure to come up with a topic to discuss and to do so in one of my target languages, so I didn't end up writing anything. I also have to admit that reading the 'What makes a good log?' thread made whatever pithy attempt at a log post I would have written yesterday seem pointless. :roll:

I'm over that today, and as I was unlocking the front door and making my way up to my flat this evening, I had an idea for a post. I was going to take a German song and try to understand the lyrics, highlighting my thought process and breaking it all down on this here log. For example, I would write "I know Zeit means time because of this other song with the lyrics 'Zeit ist Geld' - Time is money." I thought it would be interesting to someone out there to see how someone puzzles through a text in a fairly new language. However, I don't think a text-based log post is really the place to do something like that. Who knows, maybe it's an idea I will revisit in the future. :|

I can't say I have been doing much language learning over the past week, unfortunately. I watched another episode or two of Ingobernable which I am watching with Spanish subtitles as I sometimes struggle to hear what the characters say. This may have something to do with either my lack of exposure to Mexican Spanish, or my low-qualiy television. The series is definitely getting better the more I watch though, and I'm quite intrigued to find out how it progresses.

I am also listening to Nadie Sabe Nada whenever I get the chance, which I will always enjoy. Berto and Andreu are just brilliant! :)
6 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Spoonary wrote:Deutsch
Hmm, German... I'm not actually sure what I'm doing with German at the moment. I still listen to the couple of bands I mentioned on my previous log (Saltatio Mortis and Subway to Sally) when they come on shuffle on Spotify. I also still watch 'Learn German with Anja' on Youtube which is, as always, quite fun. Actually, now that she is using more German in her videos, I am finding that I understand more and more without looking at the subtitles or waiting for her to translate what she just said. Again, these are just baby steps, but it's nice to be puzzling through a new language again.

I haven't read your old log and to be honest, those two bands were not what I've been expecting in a log here. :D I've seen both of them live and even performing some songs together during the Eisheilige Nächte 2014.
But I'm wondering how much of the references a Non-German gets and how difficult some of the language is to understand.

1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Return to “Language logs”