tiia's log (FIN, SPA, SWE, EUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish, Swedish)

Postby tiia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:58 am

Happy New Year! Hyvää Uutta Vuotta! Feliz Año Nuevo! Frohes Neues Jahr! (And in Swedish?)

I'm still thinking, whether I should make some New Year's resolutions or not. But I'm tending towards not making any. Maybe just "continuing with the languages I'm learning right now." So that would be Finnish, Spanish and Swedish. (Slovak doesn't count in here at the moment.)

My attempt to try out Anki is hm.. going okay with Swedish, but not with Spanish. I abandoned the one Spanish deck made by someone else pretty much completely several weeks ago. I'm not really doing my own Spanish deck either. But at least I'm using it for Swedish. I'm using a deck based on the vocabulary list for Rivstart, which is the book we're using at the uni course. It definitely makes more sense as I encountered most words already in the lessons and therefore can conntect to the words I learn. (Something that I can with my own Spanish deck as well.) What I have learned again is, that for me learning vocabulary without context is useless. Well, that's nothing new. But now I know that I don't have to feel bad about not using normal SRS. Maybe cloze cards might suit me better as they should provide some context, but I'm not too keen trying them out. However, I try to continue using Anki for Swedish (and maybe I'll pick my own Spanish deck up again).

-----

He visto ya cuatro episodios de Embrujadas. En total son 178 episodios, por eso tengo mucho tiempo para acostumbrarme. Todavía no entiendo todo, pero no es demasiado difícil. La palabra más importante que recordé después del episodio uno es "bruja".

Me parece todavía un poco extraño que en el principio se dice en cada episodio "Embrujadas" +título del episodio. Estoy acostumbrada que hay subtítulos en este caso, pero no audio.
La navegación entre las diferentes lenguas de la DVD es un poco difícil. Hay dos diferentes menús para elegir la lengua: 1. un menú que aparece inmediatamente y 2. después del primer menú hay la posibilidad para elegir la lengua de audio y la de los subtítulos. (No utilizo subtítulos.) La segunda opción funciona muy buena, pero la primera, que es también por la lengua de menú y afecta por supuesto la preselección del audio y de los subtítulos... Eso no entiendo.
Cuando hago clic a español ya encontré el menú en sueco y en francés. Afortunadamente la segunda opción funciona mucho mejor.
3 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:37 am

Gott nytt år! And then god fortsättning after New Year's Day (although I'm not one hundred percent on the rules about this - I could be entirely wrong! Jeff?)
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:04 am

Correct! God fortsättning is a handy expression which you can use between Christmas and New Year's Eve, and during the first days of the new year.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Ya he visto 18 episodios de la primera temporada de Embrujadas. Ups. Probablemente no había visto algunos de esos episodios antes, pero algunos recordé.
Ayer también intenté a participar activamente en la discusion de la clase. Cuando estoy pensando de esto, no puedo utilizar la palabra "intentar". Yo participé. Punto. Dije uno o dos comentarios en la discusión simplemente porque quise participar y decir algo sobre el tema y no para contestar una pregunta.
No sé como sera el examen en el 2 de febrero, porque todavía faltan muchas palabras, pero el examen no es muy importante para mi. Es la practica.

Al mismo dia del examen español está él de sueco. El tiempo va tan rapido. Después de los examenes no tengo ningun clase en la universidad... Sólo puedo ir para comer en los restaurantes y cafeterías de la universidad pocas veces y entonces mi tiempo como estudiante estará totalmente en el pasado. Me siento todavía extraño que este época de (más de) nueve años terminará.

Intento a escribir también un poco sobre mis dias en sueco. La profesora dijo que podemos recibir correctiones de textos, si queremos.

----------

No I'm not going the way of Brun Ugle and write my log completely in Spanish. I already couldn't keep up doing a few sentences in Spanish in every log entry. But I feel like I have the language all around me right now and I intend to use it to gain more confidence and speed up my ability to express my thoughts. (Despite all the errors I'm making.)

I really want to write some stuff in Swedish as well. I mean: Now that I've learned to use a past tense and some other stuff, the topics I can try to write about increased dramatically.

Btw. I didn't run the Spanish part through any spelling correction, so it may contain a lot of typos etc.
2 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:24 pm

A rant on how to continue with Swedish and (once again) general thoughts on in-person classes

I asked my Swedish teacher what she knows about Swedish courses outside the university (she does some evening classes as well). She actually couldn't really tell me what to do in my case, because the university classes cover in one semester around 2-3 times as much content as an evening class and students need less repetition etc. (And university classes are held two times a week, instead of one.) So if I would take an evening class she said a fourth semester might be one to start with and that I should definitely ask where each course exactly is, so I can look up what they had already done. Obviously I also make the impression of being a fast learner, that I should be able to fill gaps easily, if a course is above my level. I think her reply was honest and the advice was not just like "take a (suitable) course and you will be alright".
I've now sent an email explaining the situation to another teacher, who seems to teach Swedish at various different places around here. Therefore that teacher should probably have the best overview of the local situation (incl. uni courses). Let's see what she'll answer.

I know I could also try just to do self-learning, but I also know myself and my motivation. So far I've had mostly good experiences with classes - as long as they were at the right level, whereas "right" can mean that they're actually a bit above. Plus, there should be motivated learners and a good (or at least not-too-bad) teacher.

I still think that with the right language class one can actually achieve a lot. But it requires homework, motivation, activities outside the classroom, if possible, lessons more than once a week... You get access to a speaker of the language (often even natives) and you may also try to get corrections for writing tasks (depending on the teacher). You need less time for finding the right material, but instead that time can be used for actual learning. If you're lucky you also get to know other nice and motivated learners, with whom you can talk in both languages and also exchange ideas (e.g. on additional material).
But the point is: You're still responsible yourself making the language learning a success. If you give up on that, well...
The real issue is, that in evening classes people often just don't work on the language outside the class. They forget too much, therefore need more repetition etc. They just don't make the most out of it. If too many of those people gather in one class the group will slow down.
When I think of my English teaching in school, there was so much of written homework. By writing I mean real writing, not some fill-in-the-gap kind of tasks. And the homework had to be done. That definitely had some impact.

Btw. especially for languages spoken in countries with a rather high income also online tutors are quite expensive - so expensive that a group setting can be cheaper. Community tutors at italki offer lessons for around 10€ or more when it comes to languages such as Swedish and Finnish. The cheapest lessons are around 7,50€ and aren't even given by natives. If I calculate the price for evening classes it's 8,20-15,20€ for 90min. The class with 15,20€ per 90 min also has a maximum of 6 students.
How long is usually a lesson on italki? I'd assume it's around 60 min? In that case you end up with pretty much exactly the same price.
I personally like the face-to-face situation and the fact that you will also almost never have to face technical issues. There's no lag (video), you can show stuff more easily and you can use the physical space more easily. (E.g. I recently asked my Swedish teacher whether I'm having a "halsduk" or a "scarfs" by showing what I had.)

(Note I never took any lesson by a private tutor, but had once an online class, where the teacher had video, while the students usually didn't, and I had my regular meetings on Skype.)
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:05 pm

One point I'd like to add to the previous post, which I realise is also true for me: Social interaction. Every now and then there are times I lack regular social interaction and language classes (or sports courses) are one simple way too guarantee me at least some kind of interaction, apart from greeting the cashier in a shop. I wouldn't go so far saying that you're finding friends there (though you may find), but social interaction you do get. I know there were times classes have been the last thing I was motivated enough to do and they made me having some kind of schedule at all; motivating me to leave the house. They also provide an environment without any disturbance in form of Facebook, emails etc, so that I can try to get a break from whatever is going on in the rest of my life.*

I've finally picked up Lumilapsi again! I should be done quite soon, at least if I keep reading.

*In case you're wondering: I'm not having a smartphone on purpose. If necessary one can call me, that should be enough.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:21 pm

En español: Hoy he terminado la segunda temporada de Embrujadas y he empezado con la tercera. Significa que he visto ya 45 episodios en más o menos dos semanas.
También yo terminé Lumilapsi la noche del domingo a lunes. ¡Finalmente! Significa que entonces tengo sólo un libro que ya empecé y no he terminado ahora. No tengo que tener mala conciencia por empezar a leer otros libros. El libro siguiente es probablemente "Las paginas del mundo" (orig.: "Die Seiten der Welt"). Es una triolgía de género fantásico. Quería leer esos libros desde fui a una pequeña feria del libro en el otoño pasado. (El autor había leído un poco de la precuela de la triología allí.) Tengo (pero todavía no he leído) la precuela en casa y una amiga me presta los tres libros de la trilogía. Si, voy a leerlos en alemán que es tambíen la lengua original.

Ayer he reparado una parte de la pared de mi cocina. Tengo que conseguirlo un poco después, porque antes la primera parte de las reparaciones tiene que secar. Quería hacerlo ya hace algunas años, pero... No lo había hecho. En la semana pasada también reparé fugas en el baño.

------

Suomeksi: Kun mä oon lukenut nuo kirjat saksaksi mä varmasti myös luen taas jotain suomeksi (ja Harry Pottter 1 espanjaksi). Mulla on vielä pari suomalaista kirjaa hyllyllä ja kirjastossa on ennemän, jos se ei riittä. Katsotaan sitten mitä mä haluan lukea tuon trilogian jälkeen.

------

På svenska: Idag är den sextonde januari och jag läste ordningstal på kursen. Vi läste också hur bildar man perfekt.*

*I'm quite certain there might be something wrong with the sentence.

------

To speed things upp I'll write the rest in English: I haven't got any answer yet regarding the Swedish courses. However, the VHS has published the new course dates, and I assume I will have to continue with Swedish on my own (or take a break, which I don't think would be a good idea at this stage). There might be one or maybe two courses at the right level around the city, but one of the is already on the one day of the week when I definitely don't have time in the evenings and if there is another course it's quite likely it will be on the same weekday. (Oh how I love these coincidences.)

My Swedish dictionary should have arrived today, but it didn't. :( Hopefully it comes tomorrow.

@ Elenia I did some search in the forum and you seem to have used Rivstart for self-learning. How did it work out? Because that would be the most obvious choice as we already use that book.
They even published a Rivstart B2-C1 last year. Still, the books are not cheap, I I don't know whetherthat will ever have an relevance for me, but it's nice to know there's material up to C1 at all. Even it's not really C1 as it is with many courses, I assume one still get's further than with other series.

Having read the "Wat makes a good log"-thread: What would you like to read more in this log? Books? Resources? Weird stories like Elias, the shark? Or something completely different?*

*Except politics due to the forum rules, although it would be actually useful to write about a certain aspects of politics in a language other than German or English.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:52 pm

tiia wrote:På svenska: Idag är den sextonde januari och jag läste ordningstal på kursen. Vi läste också hur bildar man perfekt.*

Vi läste också (om) hur man bildar perfekt.

I'd add om to both sentences (läste om=read about), but the important thing is word order. In the second sentence you have to switch bildar and man (SVO).
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:20 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
tiia wrote:På svenska: Idag är den sextonde januari och jag läste ordningstal på kursen. Vi läste också hur bildar man perfekt.*

Vi läste också (om) hur man bildar perfekt.

I'd add om to both sentences (läste om=read about), but the important thing is word order. In the second sentence you have to switch bildar and man (SVO).

That was exactly the point I wasn't sure about. Thanks.
Is the SVO-order typical for subordinate clauses? (We didn't do much about subordinate clauses yet.)
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:23 pm

tiia wrote:That was exactly the point I wasn't sure about. Thanks.
Is the SVO-order typical for subordinate clauses? (We didn't do much about subordinate clauses yet.)

I'm saving time and just post a link to a scheme (in Swedish):
http://www.student.umu.se/under-studiet ... -bisatser/
1 x

Return to “Language logs”