Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM's French Target: C1 2018

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:20 pm

iguanamon wrote:PM, this French journey you've undertaken is your journey. It's your choice and decision how you walk it. I've seen you change your study plan, or announce a change so many times over the years that I now just smile when I see them :lol: I wish you best of luck in the New Year! You're going to be fine, you'll get there.

Thanks iguanamon. And I do realise, like rdearman, you've made the same point at times (which Ani and others have pointed out too) - just go for it! I agree I need to just do this, and yet as you know I'll do it my way ;) Thanks as always for your awesome support. I hope things are going well with you :) Saw you're learning some Catalan, nice ;) Before you know it you'll be learning Languedocien, Corsican, Italian, Provençal and then FRENCH!!! :o Sorry, someone forced me to say that, I would never dare be so, umm, rude ? :? ;) Truly hope you are well :)
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:... Before you know it you'll be learning Languedocien, Corsican, Italian, Provençal and then FRENCH!!! ...

Wow, I use one emoticon and I unleash a storm of them! You're welcome, PM. Maybe, I will learn French someday, if I ever run out of Iberian languages. It could take me a lifetime before I cross the Pyrenees ;). Bòn chans, zanmi'm ! Happy New Year/Bòn Ane !
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:52 pm

iguanamon wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:... Before you know it you'll be learning Languedocien, Corsican, Italian, Provençal and then FRENCH!!! ...

Wow, I use one emoticon and I unleash a storm of them! You're welcome, PM. Maybe, I will learn French someday, if I ever run out of Iberian languages. It could take me a lifetime before I cross the Pyrenees ;). Bòn chans, zanmi'm ! Happy New Year/Bòn Ane !

Bonne année mon ami, que 2018 t’apporte plein de bonnes choses dont tu veux ou en avoir besoin !
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:06 am

French (summary) in 2017

Total hours: 682hrs 56min

Breakdown
French television: 167hrs 22min
Courses: 166hrs 57min
Podcasts: 103hrs 19min
Extensive reading: 65hrs 51min
Audio courses: 63hrs 7min
Intensive reading: 40hrs 41min
Flashcards: 34hrs 52min
Vocabulary study in isolation: 21hrs 57min
Speaking: 13hrs 44min
Writing in isolation: 4hrs 36min
Audio books: 2hrs 21min
19 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Peter,

Many thanks for your French (summary) in 2017; it looks great. Congratulations.

Thanks especially for the breakdown showing how the time was invested specifically. It was very interesting to see how you invested your time in the different areas for your study. In 2018, I am going to have to figure out on my Excel spreadsheet how to separate the different areas so that I can come up with as clean a summation as you have done.

As always you do great and I continue to learn from you and your journey. You are one very excellent teacher.

Congratulations and thanks.

Carmody
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 am

Carmody wrote:Peter,

Many thanks for your French (summary) in 2017; it looks great. Congratulations.

Thanks especially for the breakdown showing how the time was invested specifically. It was very interesting to see how you invested your time in the different areas for your study. In 2018, I am going to have to figure out on my Excel spreadsheet how to separate the different areas so that I can come up with as clean a summation as you have done.

As always you do great and I continue to learn from you and your journey. You are one very excellent teacher.

Congratulations and thanks.

Carmody

Thanks Carmody,

Very kind words indeed. My breakdown isn’t 100% accurate and doesn’t take into account my reading books with my daughter and speaking with her. I also very often cut my listening numbers back, particularly with podcasts while commuting simply because I don’t focus sometimes for many minutes on end. It’s fair, as I wouldn’t count background noise. But all in all it’s a somewhat useful guide in understanding effort and efficiency.

I’m glad my summary proves useful or even inspiring (at least to me... to do better the following year). If i’m a genius with brain damage, relegating me back to a tad below average intelligence, I am proof that intellect is not that important, but insanity persistance is!

You gotta fight for your right, to stuuuudddyyy! :) Sir Massive Turd signing off from the Grampians National Park, Victoria, Australia (have done some nice bushwalks in the last couple of days).
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:00 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:French (summary) in 2017

Total hours: 682hrs 56min

Breakdown
French television: 167hrs 22min
Courses: 166hrs 57min
Podcasts: 103hrs 19min
Extensive reading: 65hrs 51min
Audio courses: 63hrs 7min
Intensive reading: 40hrs 41min
Flashcards: 34hrs 52min
Vocabulary study in isolation: 21hrs 57min
Speaking: 13hrs 44min
Writing in isolation: 4hrs 36min
Audio books: 2hrs 21min

WOW!!!

You're amazing! This is a great score!
Thanks for being a constant source of inspiration to me.
I am very impressed. Above all, I admire those 167 hours of courses, something I need to push myself harder at. And 40h41min of intensive reading are beyond my imagination!
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:03 pm

Cavesa
And 40h41min of intensive reading are beyond my imagination!

Could someone please remind me exactly what the basics of intensive reading are? Many thanks.

Peter is mixing the Extensive with the Intensive which sounds especially useful.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Carmody wrote:Could someone please remind me exactly what the basics of intensive reading are? Many thanks.

Peter is mixing the Extensive with the Intensive which sounds especially useful.

Basically a dissection of the text in question. Looking up everything, analysis of every tiny bit. Subsequently, learning it all, for example with SRS.

The first part: dissection is being used in classes too, even though it is of very limited use without the second part, which is not being done much and I'd say teachers not giving any recommendations about it are at least partially to blame.

Intensive means spending lots of time on a smaller amount of text. While extensive means the same amount of time or bigger on a huge amount of text. In short term, intensive is probably more efficient. In the long run, I am more than convinced about the qualities of extensive reading.

Peter is obviously doing well, as he combines the two.
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Many thanks.

What I do on a text is read it Extensively the first time through and then two more times with extensive drilling down and look up.

I just did not know if that Intensive reading included reading the text out loud. I am not sure if that is Shadowing or not?

I'm a newcomer, with everything to learn..........

Thanks.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”