Replace all the languages you are learning with ones that have less than 2 million speakers

General discussion about learning languages
nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Re: Replace all the languages you are learning with ones that have less than 2 million speakers

Postby nooj » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:01 am

Ogrim wrote:To me a more interesting question would be why there are some languages "nobody" seems to study. I may be wrong, but in all my years at HTLAL and LLorg I cannot remember anyone seriously studying e.g. Armenian, which has some eight million speakers scattered around the world. Or what about Guaraní, an official language of Paraguay and the native language of more than six million people? I guess if I were to give up on Arabic and Russian for five years I'd pick one or both of these. :)

Javanese is one of those languages that is criminally underrepresented for its population. Caray, it's one of the most spoken languages in the world! To be honest, I think even Indonesian is underrepresented here in Australia. My high school offered it as a subject, but most students chose French or Japanese, even though Indonesia is a lot closer to Australia than France or Japan. In the language market, Indonesian could definitely do with selling itself better.
3 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Longinus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N)
Currently studying: Latin, Scottish Gaelic
Maintenance work: German, Russian, BCS, Albanian, Estonian
Basic level, 3-6 months worth of work each: Persian, Mongolian, Old Irish, Polish, Macedonian
Wish list: Lithuanian, Icelandic, Hungarian

Re: Replace all the languages you are learning with ones that have less than 2 million speakers

Postby Longinus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:20 pm

What a great topic!

Excluding dead languages, it would be interesting to learn:
Estonian (just started working on this)
Icelandic
Some of the smaller Uralic languages, like Meadow Mari or Udmurt
A northwest Caucasian language like Abkhaz or Kabardian
Hmmm, we need some Indo-Iranian. How about Ossetian?

Of course there are lots more I'd be interested in. But once you get down to something like Abhaz with 100,000 speakers, or less, it gets really difficult to find learning material, or interesting native material, unless you've got something heavily subsidized and promoted by the government, e.g. the insular Celtic languages.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Ogrim wrote:I may be wrong, but in all my years at HTLAL and LLorg I cannot remember anyone seriously studying e.g. Armenian, which has some eight million speakers scattered around the world.

I remember that Richard Simcott (Torbyrne on HTLAL) was studying it a few years ago.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:22 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Ogrim wrote:I may be wrong, but in all my years at HTLAL and LLorg I cannot remember anyone seriously studying e.g. Armenian, which has some eight million speakers scattered around the world.

I remember that Richard Simcott (Torbyrne on HTLAL) was studying it a few years ago.

Is there any language Richard Simcott hasn’t studied? ;)
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:40 pm

Lithuanian should be included here, although it is one million above the suggested limit. There were numerous predictions of its slow death in the nineteenth century when the 100.000 speakers of it in Prussia were in the focus of the philologists/Indo-Europeanists. It is dead in Germany now but with Lithuanian independence from Russia after WWI it had a revival in its homeland.
It is said to be the most archaic living Indo-European language.
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:09 pm

Kraut wrote:It is said to be the most archaic living Indo-European language.
Not sure... The original quote was "if you want to know what Proto-Indo-European sounded like, listen to a Lithuanian peasant" which focuses mostly on the (reconstructed) pronunciation and specific features like many words ending in -s.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:56 pm

Ogrim wrote:Is there any language Richard Simcott hasn’t studied? ;)

I see your point. :) Armenian probably isn't (wasn't?) his (or anyone else's) main target language. Some languages have people you instantly know you can ask if you have questions.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:13 am

Serpent wrote:
Kraut wrote:It is said to be the most archaic living Indo-European language.
Not sure... The original quote was "if you want to know what Proto-Indo-European sounded like, listen to a Lithuanian peasant" which focuses mostly on the (reconstructed) pronunciation and specific features like many words ending in -s.

The quote is from the French linguist Meillet, but I think it is much more than pronunciation. Lithuanian morphology is extremely complicated. Although they kicked the grammatical dual form when they standardised Lithuanian at the beginning of the 20th century, it was present in most word classes (verbs, nouns, adjectives, pronouns, demonstratives ...) as can be seen in this guide book from Prussia.
http://www.epaveldas.lt/vbspi/biRecord. ... rdId=24692
And this looks very close to Sanskrit, which is 3000 years away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:01 am

I know.
As for Sanskrit, can you give an example of the similarity?
Slovene also has dual btw.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Personally I would tell the millionaire guy to stick his money because there are easier ways to get a million dollars than to learn a new language from scratch.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “General Language Discussion”